Viewing: 1-5 of 5
mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Jul 25, 2006 3:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Wow that is hot

You should have been a cactus in that weather. Hard to avoid given the weather, if you really wanted to cover that ground. Seems like a common theme from this week in the west.

T Sharp

T Sharp - Jul 26, 2006 4:21 am - Hasn't voted

It`s Hot

That is quite a trip thephotohiker, and it has been hotter than hades here in West Central MT. I was in that basin 3 years ago with my late partner Luke Casady on a recon trip looking at the same basic objectives. He and his wife and another ACOM member Jim J. went back the next weekend and did the circuit but climbed from the E. ridge of Como and then scrambled up E and W. Como Peaks and out the Little Rock Creek Lakes trail. Luke said the climbing was straight forward 4th class, he freed a 5.7 gendarme but everyone else went around on easy scrambling, A very enjoyable day trip, if a lot of miles. And whoever laid out that trail into Little Rock Creek was a sadist, I humped a full mountaineering pack out of there after an early spring climb of El Capitan and that grunt back up to the car is a cruel joke.
Cheers;

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It`s Hot

Thanks for the comment. If you have time you might sign the climbing log for Como Peaks and maybe even do a trip report. I know a couple of guys who are planning to use the east ridge route as an approach and would probably appreciate your input and insight. Thanks.

upsetter - Jul 28, 2006 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice Trip Report

Sounds like you had quite the adventure. I too have done the same hike you did in this report. Didnt have the heat trouble though.

I got to a point just below the west como, you can see it in the last pic of west como you have above. I stopped right below the first gendarme, where the exposure and difficulty to finish the summit got to be to much for my blood. The spot offered nice exposure though. The other side of the ridge is about 400ft straight down into the como-elcap basin. I think I saw those mtn goats too;-)

This is some of the nicest country in the bitterroot, for sure!

Tecova

Tecova - Mar 27, 2007 4:17 am - Hasn't voted

Similar Experience

I was pointed toward this by T Sharp, I had a nearly identical experience on the Canyon Creek trail about the same time last year. It definetly taught me a valuable lesson about my limits, and about making sure I bring enough food / water.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Unanticipated Delirium' main page