Viewing: 1-10 of 10
maddie77777

maddie77777 - Oct 29, 2008 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

Loved it

Great trip report. I'd like to hear more of Evan's "interludes" in future reports. Awesome job.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 1, 2008 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Loved it

Thanks! I wish I had thought of including Evan's comments in the first trip report we did earlier this year.

angiegoodwin - Nov 2, 2008 6:34 am - Voted 10/10

Lucky Evan

I remember going on hikes with my Dad that I never thought I would return from. Now at 41 years old, I am thankful for those memories and I still love to climb. Your story made my morning. This is a 10/10 I made a mistake and don't know how to change it.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Nov 2, 2008 2:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Nice TR. I'm glad you two are able to spend time outside together. It certainly sounds like Evan will be game for Scrambling with a 12 Year Old and beyond. Our family vacations are outdoor-oriented, but we have to balance different people's desires and goals for how to use our time. My younger brothers would rather do some scrambling, my mom's number one is birdwatching, and my dad, older brother, and I would rather backpack. We make it work and plan so that everyone gets some time devoted to their favorite activity. For example: my mom goes backpacking with us, but she only carries binoculars and a lumbar pack with water and spare layers, we carry her other gear. It makes for a heavy pack, but it's always worth it if it means we can spend time together doing what we love. Thanks for sharing. Happy hiking.

mvs

mvs - Nov 3, 2008 12:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Really great

Loved your report. I wish for you that you can move near some mountains, but I know how hard that can be to achieve!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 4, 2008 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Really great

It is hard to live in flat Chicago, which is a great city but is surrounded by hundreds of miles of prairie, and little else. You are right that this puts a lot of pressure on mountain vacations that would not be there if I lived near mountains of any kind.

R2Creatives

R2Creatives - Nov 5, 2008 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Fun, Keep It Up!

Thanks for your trip report. Keep pushing your son to go with you as long as he'll come along.

I took my 11-year old daughter to Mt Washington this past spring and we had a wonderful climb/time. I'm not sure how much longer she's going to want to go hiking and climbing with old dad. But hopefully, for a long time.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 13, 2009 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Fun, Keep It Up!

Thanks. I agree, I hope Evan wants to keep on hiking for a while (the draw of big restaurant dinners and cartoon network all night also is influential to his love of these trips right now).

Tracy

Tracy - May 12, 2009 10:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Kudos to both of you

for doing Tallac (unacclimated no less). I hiked this one with family but couldn't convince any of my kids to come along. Have enjoyed all 3 of your TRs. It is, afterall, about enjoying the outdoors and doing it with family makes it all the better!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 13, 2009 10:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kudos to both of you

Thanks again Tracy (though I think taking all 4 of your kids would be a challenge!). Hope my kids move out West so I can retire out here.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Scrambling with an 11 Year Old 2 - The Sequel' main page