Viewing: 1-14 of 14
lisae

lisae - May 12, 2009 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report!

Thank you for taking the time to write this trip report. I made my first trip to Utah last month and am already collecting information for another trip, hopefully next spring. Your report is in the file!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 12, 2009 8:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Report!

Thanks! Utah is my favorite place to hike. For info on some of the more obscure places in my TR, also try http://www.climb-utah.com/index.htm

Tracy

Tracy - May 12, 2009 10:28 pm - Voted 10/10

The suspense is killin' me !

So what's the real name of 'restaurant' arch? I came up with toothless mouth arch! Seriously, one of the reasons I was curious is one of my college geography professors was very active in finding, documenting, and publishing the results of his arch-finding discoveries in Arches National Park (ANP). His name was Dale Stevens - someone I enjoyed exploring ANP with. Unfortunately, he was killed on his motorcyle before he got to finish his life and career. He introduced me to several of the arches in your trip report. He also told me the story of a guy he met who had flown a small airplane through the middle of Corona Arch.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 13, 2009 10:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The suspense is killin' me !

OK - The real name of what I called 'Restaurant Arch' is...Two Block Arch. As soon as we saw its name in the Vistor center registry, we knew we had found 'our' arch. the pictures confirmed it. Suprisingly, it was not discovered until 1977, which shows me how much there could still be out there to find.
I got a taste for the fascination of finding such Arches, and could see why people like Dale Stevens enjoyed finding and documenting them. If I lived closer to Utah, I would look for Arches too.

MoabGirl

MoabGirl - Aug 6, 2022 3:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The suspense is killin' me !

When I lived in Moab, arch hunting was exactly what I did on my days off...I would choose an arch and determined to find it....or choose an area and wander around til something interesting was discovered. I was fortunate enough to spend a day with arch-hunter Chris Moore and it was a blast.... I have no doubt that there are undiscovered arches....that notion holds much allure to the exploring...!
https://www.naturalarches.org/history.html

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 12, 2009 10:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Good report

Nice pictures, cool narrative, and fun to read. The end is the best part, though-- you know what I mean, right?

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 13, 2009 10:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good report

You referring to getting in the last word with a son? It does not happen too often in my house!

Dean

Dean - Nov 18, 2009 1:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Great TR

I had missed this when you put it out originally but I have to compliment you on a great TR with some excellent pics. I love that area of Utah and now Druid Arch is big on my agenda. Great stuff.

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 18, 2009 5:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR

Thanks a lot. We had such a great time there in Moab I am thinking of returning this next spring.

Druid arch is just one of many the wonders you will see on any route you take to it. The whole Canyonlands area is mind blowing, but the Needles is my favorite.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Fun Report!

Well ritten and great photos. More ideas of stuff for us to do near Moab-and that Tunnel thing-I've got to check that out! Thanks for this contribution!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Nov 18, 2009 9:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun Report!

Thanks a lot. Its always great to get feedback from an older TR. I got some great ideas for Moab area (like the Tunnel) from a site called Climb Utah. I highly recommend it.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Nov 19, 2009 4:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fun Report!

Thanks!

lofty1 - Mar 12, 2010 5:35 pm - Hasn't voted

great report

we were down there the same time and battled some of the same sandstorms you had....pink rain and pink snowflakes....poor car....

You wouldn't have GPS waypoints to get into the tunnel ? Heading down there again this april.

cheers,
lofty

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Mar 14, 2010 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great report

I have no waypoints for the Tunnel. I used a map from from a site called Climb Utah. You do, however, have to pay a fee to get the map as part of their 'Members Only' privileges. But for me it was a fun bit of navigation once I had the map. And the site has a lot of cool offbeat hiking locales around Moab.

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'M-Arch Moabness' main page