Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Bombchaser

Bombchaser - Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm - Voted 10/10

WOW

Glad both of you made it out of there. Good example of being prepared and conducting self-rescue. Nice splint job.

silversummit

silversummit - Feb 19, 2010 6:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Sounds like a true adventure!

And quite ironic that you ended up in Lourdes! Glad you both were treated so well and made it home okay.

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Feb 21, 2010 7:39 am - Voted 10/10

Tough Luck on Vignemale

What a trip, you guys must be chock full of stamina.
Bad luck to have a fall on the last part of the Vignemale ascent.
We did it and thought that the top section of the ridge was very loose. We dropped down the ridge after the ascent and took a simple snow gulley descent thereby avoiding the nasty bit where the fall took place.
Hope his leg heals Up OK.
cheers Johnnie

DanTheMan - Feb 21, 2010 12:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Still Healing

I looked at the Google maps satellite photo, and I think we were pretty damn close to the summer path (which was invisible under the snow). Maybe a bit to the right of it.

Also, it was my fibula that broke. I will be back in the hospital to get some screws replaced next week hopefully then I can start trying to walk.

It was definitely a great trip up until the accident, and even afterwards (in retrospect). I'd love to go back in the summertime.

I also wrote up the events around that accident here:

http://experienceinthepyrenees.blogspot.com/

scottmitch

scottmitch - Feb 21, 2010 5:07 pm - Voted 10/10

cool trip

love the dirtbag style
bummer on the leg

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Feb 22, 2010 1:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Great

It's a great trip report. Congratulations for this very hard climb, it's not normal to climb Aneto in december-january. It's not advisable even to try it. This year from december to february more than 10 mountaineers have died in the Pyrenees for the avalanches even in peaks around 2500m and even at 2000m in some places.
Dan asked me some months ago and I thought it wasn't a good idea the climb in winter but they're very braves mountaineers. Congratulations guys! Thanks for these beautiful pictures.

I only tried once a climb to Aneto in winter and it was impossible for me leaving the route in Portillón superior (I was the only person in the pass with a lot of snow). In spring I climbed across the most beautiful route across Estasen coulouir (50º) and it's nice if somebody want to search a "not normal route" out of the hordes or normal route.

Good luck with your leg Dan. You're great!

DanTheMan - Feb 22, 2010 2:05 pm - Voted 10/10

You told me so

Thanks for not saying "I told you so". On Aneto glacier, we called our group the pace line because we would do 2 or 3 minutes of hard work at the front to break the trail and then join the back of the line.

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: You told me so

It's difficult to say to a person that I don't know if he can or can't climb a mountain... every mountaineer take your decisition and it's o.k. for me. I never say after that "I told you"... I also climbed mountains in adverse conditions. I only said to you the probably conditions in the mountains in my opinion and for this reason I know that your climb was very hard! (but it was fantastic.. I know that).
I'm very happy for your success and I give you thanks for show to other people in the world this beautiful peak that I love so much.
Only an advice to other people: the best time to climb Aneto (and Vignemale of course) is Spring or early summer, don't try this peak in winter except if you're a great alpine climber as Dan, Alex, Iñaki and Javier.
(uff my English is not very good.. I'm learning).

Keep on climbing!

visentin

visentin - Feb 24, 2010 6:44 am - Voted 10/10

Re: You told me so

I agree, amazing achievement in winter. I would also not recommend it at all. You must all be very good mountaineers. Too bad for the leg !
But by the way, why the hell the choice of the Pyrenees for some people from USA ? any interesting read at the base of the idea ?

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Feb 23, 2010 8:20 am - Voted 10/10

It's Los Pirineos...

Alex, in the trip report title, with "I".

Great effort there, by the way

alexbuck

alexbuck - Feb 26, 2010 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It's Los Pirineos...

Thanks, Diego. It's been amended.

eza

eza - Feb 23, 2010 9:27 am - Voted 10/10

Great TR...

and beautiful pictures! Sorry about Dan's leg, but there was a happy ending to all the story and I guess that makes it all right. I hope you recover all right and that you will be able to remember the Pyrenees with pleasure. Oh! and -of course- congratulations for that fantastic winter success on Aneto

Jelonek

Jelonek - Feb 23, 2010 5:50 pm - Hasn't voted

repect !!

respect for your trip, I known this mountains but not in winter, now I`m hungry :) good luck with your lag !!!

mvs

mvs - Feb 24, 2010 7:23 am - Voted 10/10

great adventure

Thanks for the tale. Getting back down the valley to get the rescue was very suspenseful. Good luck healing, take it easy!

suddendescent

suddendescent - Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Fabulous !

Great moment by moment descriptions. Furthermore the images give us an added glimpse of the country and the tense moments experienced by the crew being a fine addition to an epic journey.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Los Pirineos: Success and Situational Changes' main page