Tristenbach Fall WI3 +

Tristenbach Fall WI3 +

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.96784°N / 12.07861°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI3+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tristenbach Fall
Tristenbach Fall

T

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tristenbach ice fall looks more like a flow embedded in the canyon like a gully than a ice-fall, except for the second pitch which is a real ice-fall. Given the orientation (NW) and the orography of the canyon, it never gets sun, this fact allows it to remain in good conditions until late in the season.The Tristenbach Fall is one of the easier ice routes in the Ahrntal valley (Valle Aurina), located in South Tirol, Italy. It's a pleasant ice-fall in a fantastic and truly typical environment. In total it has 4 rope pitches, the second of which is a trip that is certainly worth the entire climb. It's also a very nice ice-fall for beginners because it offers the option to exit after the first length.

 

Getting There

The starting village is Rein in Taufers, you follow the road in the valley and leave the car at the last parking lot, 10 minutes behind Rein.
From there you are able to see the upper part of the Tristenbach Fall.
 

Tristenbach Fall WI3
Tristenbach Fall WI3

 

 

 

 

Follow the road for about 10 minutes and cross the bridge at your right.
Follow the footpath with the number 8c and the sign to the Waterfall.
The approach follows the brooke bed and so you reach automatically the begin of the fall.

Route Description

Difficulty: 3+, II.

1st pitch - The first pitch of the route is a easy 50° gully with good ice quality  2+, 30 m.

2nd pitch - The second pitch is the longest and more difficult part of the route, 3+, 60 m.

3rd pitch - Easy sunken gully (possibility of continuing on easier ground), 2+, 20 m
 

Tristenbach Fall WI3
Tristenbach Fall WI3

 

 

At the top of the first pitch you have the possibility to build a stance with some iron hooks, or you follow the snow field up to the second pitch and build your stance there with ice screws.
The second length is the longest and more difficult part of the route. At the top of the second pitch you have to build a stance with ice screws.

The third part of the Tristenbach Fall follows a small gully. At that top, build your stance again with screws or use some of the trees around.

 

Descent: the best way is to walk down, at the right side of the fall, through the wood, you will reach the starting point of the tour on that way, a rappell down the fall is not recommendable, the options are very rare and to walk down is the best and easiest way.

Tristenbach Fall
Tristenbach Fall

Essential Gear

Full ice climbing equipment,
ice tools,
crampons,
harness,
two 55 meter half ropes
helmet and of course some ice screws.
Snowshoes for the approach are needful
Avalanche gear is not necessary, the route is not in an avalanche exposed position.

Red Tape

No fees no permits required

Accomodation

The Valle Aurina offers different several kind of accomodation

When to climb

Wintertime

Meteo

Meteo Provincia Bolzano

Guidebooks and maps

"Ghiaccio verticale" - F. Cappellari