Tros Marets - valley

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 50.44640°N / 6.03180°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the Belgian 'Ardennes', Tros Marets is a rather small river that created a beautiful valley near Malmedy / Hockai. It's ideal for hiking all year long. Altitude ranges from 340 to 574 meters.
trosmaretsvalley

Getting There

On the E42 highway Verviers-Malmedy, take exit 10 'Hockai'. When you reach Hockai follow the road in the direction of Xhouffraix. When you reach the forest and after some sharp curves, you arrive at the Fraineu 'fagne' where you see an info-sign and some parking space. From there you can hike to the Fraineu - fagne (northwards) or cross the road and follow the Tros Marets river downstream (southwards).
parking

Red Tape

There are no permits required. As always, leave plants and animals alone and respect nature. "Leave nothing but footprints" !

There's a hiking map: NGI 1/25.000 50/5-6.
Ice on the Tros Marets - route

Camping

Free camping is not allowed.

On of the campsites in the area:
Camping Grotte des Nains
Village 10 A
4960 Beverce (Malmedy)
tel: +32 (0)80/33 81 97
downvalley

When to visit

You can visit the Tros Marets valley all year long. The scenery can be really great in wintertime. In wintertime, be sure to wear good waterproof hiking shoes and warm waterproof clothing as it can be rather cold.
upthehill

Links

Site (in Dutch) where you can download GPS Waypoints, Route and tracks:walters-gps-wandelingen

More info on the region: Malmedy

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.