Tucupit Occidentalis, 5.10+, 7 Pitches Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Sep 17, 2020 12:59 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2020

Tucupit Occidentalis, 5.10+, 7 Pitches  Sucess!

With Casey A. I ended up with the two best (sustained) leads, the combo of 1st and 2nd and the 4th. Casey had two great pitches as well, the 5th and 7th. The 3rd was a fun pitch, just much easier than the rest of the route. The 6th was a short traverse pitch setting up pitch 7. Outstanding route by Zion standards and more to come on Tucupit, the hidden gem of Zion. MP.com makes noise about the safety of the 6th pitch (folks bailing). Seemed mellow to us. I think climbers use it as an excuse to bail, but by doing so, miss out on a surprisingly excellent 7th pitch to the top of the formation. The crux of the route is keeping your ropes out of the cracks on the rap descent. Rapping of pitch 5 and 4 are the two raps you need to saddlebag your ropes for and be prudent on the pull. The first rap and last two raps were over clean face, no worries. My gear call is quite a bit lighter than the FAer's or MP.com, for the competent 5.10/11 trad leader.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Tucupit Occidentalis, 5.10+, 7 Pitches' main page