Tumalo Falls

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: WI 3/4 and Mixed
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tumalo Falls is a high volume waterfall west of Bend, Oregon. Occasionally ice forms on it's sides. It takes a VERY cold spell for this to happen. For a gauge of what it takes to get something climbable see pics below. There are other ice possibilities in the area. Just to the right of the main flow is a small drip that forms a good mixed climb.

Tumalo FallsIn nearby Redmond it was an average temp. of 12deg F for the prior four days.


Tumalo Fallsprior 3 days average temp in Redmond was 21F.


Getting There

Bend is located in Central Oregon. From bend you want to head out Skyliners road. Drive Skyliners for about 11 miles you should cross a bridge and then hit gravel this will be rd 4603. In the winter this last 2 miles is closed. The approach is very popular with xc skiers and snowshoers. No snowmobiles.

Route Description

Top rope from above on either side of the main falls or the small drip on the climbers right. I'm not sure if these routes have been lead. If they have It would have been quite rare.

Essential Gear

I'd recommend some long slings (maybe 30) for setting up the top rope.

External Links



Geography