peterbudVery good page...

peterbud

...with lots of detailed information, nice job.

You can find a link to an online topo here, along with a youtube video of climbing on T. Ascutit.

By the way, it would be nice to add some names in Hungarian as well, for exmaple:

Cheile Turzii = Tordai-hasadék (in German: Thorenburger Schlucht)
paraul Hasdate = Hesdát-patak
Turnul Ascutit = Éles-torony

The hut (erected in 1935 by E.K.E.) seemed to be under reconstruction this February, but no one was around.
Posted May 7, 2010 5:21 am

mibuThanks

mibu

Thank you Peter.

The link to Roclimbing info page about C. Turzii was already included on the page (in "External Links" section).

Regarding the names, I've tried to avoid translating the names even in English. Finally I've translated some of the wall names just for a plus of information.

But, as a general rule, I'll try to stay only with the original name for simplicity and better synchronization with existing topos.
Posted May 7, 2010 6:40 am

peterbudRe: Thanks

peterbud

Yes I noticed you had the Roclimbing link, I thought of the other one. In fact it contains the same info that can be found on the page by Adrian Munteanu you linked, just in a more direct form (pdf).

Names: I fully understand the reasons why Romanian names shall be priviliged, but English translations for example are good because of understanding what's behind the name, while other native local names in other languages provide a plus information. I'd still propose mentioning at least the name of the gorge in Hungarian and German in the overview section, but of course the decision is yours.

I visited the gorge this February and will upload some pictures with nice blue sky backgrounds as soon as I'll have the time.
Posted May 7, 2010 8:17 am

yatsekExcellent page

yatsek

Multumesc, Mihai! It'll be Andreea's turn now.:) When it comes to the toponyms, I guess by "original" you mean the official language of the country the gorge sits in since I bet even the Dacian names - if we knew them - wouldn't be "original" here.
Cheers,
Jacek
Posted May 7, 2010 8:03 am

mibuRe: Excellent page

mibu

Gentlemen,

let's not start a linguistical debate here. I agree with Peter that, for some of the names, make sense to have a translation (if they have a meaning), but, on the other side, I think people need accurate information. Especially when dealing with topos and technical information like route names, wall names, etc.

SP it's an international site and the common language seems to be English here. When I read a SP post I expect to find accurate information and toponyms in the "official language" (yes, you are right Jacek :) ) and, eventually their English meaning. By "official language" I mean the exact names you find in maps, books, Google Earth, Google Maps, etc. I don't see the point of translating the name of one place in Chinese, for example.

Ok, thanks for your words, now let's wait for Andreea's entries.
Peter, I'm glad you have pictures with C. Turzii, I was looking for some more pictures of this beautiful place. I wasn't there for quite some time...

Cheers,
Mihai
Posted May 7, 2010 9:04 am

peterbudRe: Excellent page

peterbud

There's no debate, only discussion :) As I see, Chinese translation doesn't fall in the same category as giving the other local native names (well, the German one may not be be used anywhere now but for sure Hungarian is - Google search yields approx. 8000 photo hits for "Tordai hasadék", which seems to be substantial compared to the 36000 for "Cheile Turzii"). I bet that two (or four) words in brackets mentioned once in the text won't distract people, but still it's up to you. The page is good anyway, I'm glad to see it here.

Cheers, Peter
Posted May 7, 2010 9:51 am

yatsekRe: Excellent page

yatsek

I believe e.g. the first paragraph here sorts out the problem quite well.
Posted May 7, 2010 9:57 am

andreeacorodeanuAwesome

andreeacorodeanu

page Mihai! I never had the chance to go there for a rockclimb, too far, but hope someday :). Cheers, Andreea
Posted May 8, 2010 2:57 pm

mibuRe: Awesome

mibu

Thank you Andreea.
It worth to pay a visit when you'll find the occasion.

My first climbing experiences took place here :)
Posted May 9, 2010 6:42 am