Uluru-Kata Tjuta Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
bbolder

bbolder - Feb 17, 2009 1:43 am - Hasn't voted

Important clarifications:

* The Trailhead for the climb is at the "Mala"pullout.
* No map you can find tells you this, because they prefer you do not climb it.
* Today (summer, Feb) the gate was only open 6:30-8:00 am; before and after that it's Closed
* It is likely the summit will be permanently closed in the next few years.
* The hike up is technically simple (posts and chains to hold onto), short, and splendid.
* There would probably be other 4th class routes, and there are a few other 5th class routes, but they are way way off limits.
* At least in summer, definitely buy the bug headnet; the flies go for your face and really detract from enjoyment.
* Ideal scenario: get up early, drive (or take tour bus) to the clearly designated pullout on the road and watch sunrise with 100 other people (300 at sunset). Drive back on the road, and promptly do ascent before they close it for the day. Now run or hike around the base (9.4 kms, has water taps). Then go to the Cultural Center which is very good (free). Finally, go back to Yulara (the resort) and swim in the pool. Day done. 1 pm.
* It is not immediately apparent that Uluru is NOT close to Alice Springs! So save time and money and fly into the resort/national park and skip Alice completely.
* Do not even consider driving to this place unless you love really long boring road trips. A great option however, is to take The Ghan from Adelaide - trains are very relaxing, especially if you can afford the Sleeper Car. o/w airfares in Aus are half r/t, so no penalty for train one direction and flight out.
* All lodging is in one spot - Yaluru - and is owned by one company, so it's pricey; upside is there is only one phone call/website visit to make. Best value is the dormitory's ($42), which are YHA style, and provide the exact same amenities (pool, bar, etc) as the $150 rooms, except it's a shared room with shower/toilet in a different blg.
* Best times are spring/fall; winter nights are cold and summer days are very hot.
* Personal Comment: Uluru is an international icon. I had to come here and am glad I did. Now that I've been here one day, it's time to leave. A serious desert adventurer, in spring or fall and with car, could certainly find more things to do.


flow

flow - Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Important clarifications:

thank you for the additions.

T. White

T. White - Jan 22, 2020 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Summit trail permanently closed

As of 10/26/2019, the trail has been closed and its chain removed.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Uluru-Kata Tjuta' main page