Viewing: 1-9 of 9
emilie

emilie - Nov 14, 2008 1:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: oh my god

thanks. we debated about the bivy for a while but there was just no way to be sure how to get back to the route. we were already out of food and water and no sense in spending more energy uselessly.
oh, and they caught the guy that was responsible for the vandalism at trailheads up and down the 395 corridor.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 9, 2008 1:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Story

Very enjoyable report. You've got a great attitude to realize that your adventure shouldn't be overwhelmed by the work of vandal low-lifes.

emilie

emilie - Nov 14, 2008 1:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Story

yeah, the vandalism was a major bummer, but so funny how a good climbing adventure puts everything in perspective. as a prologue to the shoulder issue, the pin was really sticking out and my shoulder was dark purple but it didn't break through. i was scheduled to go under to have it removed just a week later so the doc had me keep that surgery date anyway. i'm feeling just about normal now - yeah!

TJ311

TJ311 - Nov 9, 2008 7:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Exciting Report

I can't imagine how cold it must have been in that open air bivy! Glady you made it back and hope your shoulder didn't suffer any further damage. Sucks about your car! Jerks.

rhyang

rhyang - Nov 14, 2008 3:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Just saw this !

Congrats on Sill, sorry to hear about your car, and glad you are back out there climbing !

.. and welcome to the Frozen Bivy Club :)

emilie

emilie - Nov 14, 2008 5:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Just saw this !

thanks! yeah, feeling good. sounds like you are on the up and up again as well. would love to meet up in sunnyvale, but after i get back from ecuador. love your new profile photo. reminds me of the llama orgy i saw the last time i was in ecuador (i'm so not kidding)...

bigmac

bigmac - Nov 21, 2008 9:01 am - Hasn't voted

Ahh the Dread Bivouac

i hate those things... Anyways welcome to the dread bivouac club... I think it was a good choice because its better to be cold than dead :D. Good luck with your shoulder!

emilie

emilie - Dec 1, 2008 5:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ahh the Dread Bivouac

thanks! happy(?) to be welcomed into the club. ;-)

Diggler

Diggler - Jul 27, 2009 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

ouch!

i didn't realize how epic this trip was! Glad everything turned out 'OK...' That really sucks about your car (& the pin, & the bivy...). Like they say, though, 'What does not kill you makes you stronger...' ;) I understand about the bivy- I knew after climbing that route that we were in trouble when we saw the sun set over the Palisades... :) an open-air bivy at 12,000' is better than 13,000' though, I'd surmise (at Glacier Notch). Safe (& continued) climbing (& glad you've recovered)!

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Unplanned Bivy on Swiss Arete' main page