Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 3, 2007 2:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Somewhat off topic...

...but having lived in Texas for four years, I can say that county highpointing that state is an utterly futile gesture. Just though I would throw that out there.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 5, 2007 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

I am speechless...

...

Dean

Dean - May 5, 2007 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I am speechless...

Here's another one to look at: Bob Packard
Notice that he is working his way eastward. It is interesting to go through the maps listed HERE.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - May 5, 2007 12:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Private land?

Most of the Plains states are private land. I have tried to get into a canyon in west Texas that is on private land. I tried to get permission from the land owners but they are pretty defensive. How would one tackle that for each county? I am sure some of them would look at you speechlessly saying "You want to walk on my field for what?!"

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - May 5, 2007 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Private land?

The stories of county highpointers gaining permission to access private property are often very entertaining. Those people have some amazing creativity. Some stories are even highly hilarious. Someone should write a book!

As for Bob Martin and Bob Packard. They're old friends, and old too. Martin is in his late 80s now, but kept going strong until his stroke last year. Packard is now over 70 and is amazing. They're both great role models for me as I'm not far behind them age-wise, although not as close as Dean!

Dean

Dean - May 30, 2007 9:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dean...

Hey, thanks for your interest in county highpointing. It is fun to add it to state highpointing and prominence peaks. I have a map posted that shows the county outlines but it would be a task to list them individually. The map will give you a fair idea of the ones I've chased to this point. I'd like to get all of the ones in the west but the price of gas is slowing me down. Are you into doing county highpointing?
http://www.cohp.org/indiv/Dean_Molen.html

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'USA County Highpoints' main page