User Profile Image

User Profile Image

peninsula
on Feb 22, 2006 12:06 am
Image ID: 174938

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mpbro

mpbro - Aug 28, 2006 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice looking brookie!

bet he put up a good fight. What is he--10-11 inches? I've not had great luck in the High Sierra. Mainly lakes with a golden overpopulation problem. I've seen good fish in a few improbable lakes, though:

Lower Sardine Lake had some truly awesome brookies. At least, I assume they're brookies because football-sized fish were converging on the rocks I threw into the lake. No rod that day!

Darwin Lake 11592' - Improbably, I was seeing 12"+ fish in this lake, which probably should have been sterile. The bench is surprisingly verdant for the high elevation, so perhaps nutrient levels are high enough?

peninsula

peninsula - Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice looking brookie!

Interesting stuff mpbro. That brookie went 10" and was one of the best fighters I have ever caught. I took him at Dragon Lake, just above Rae Lakes, at around 11,000 feet. Brookies were all I caught in that lake, and they were all pretty beefy. The odd thing was they were all feisty as were the brookies we caught on Rae lake were sluggish.

I plan one of these years to do the Lamark-Darwin-Evolution Valley trip. I have heard the Lamark lakes have good fishing. I am glad to hear Darwin Lake has some fish! I was not so sure by the way things looked on the topo. But those higher lakes can sometimes have some real lunkers, or so I am told, as they don't have the problems with overpopulation.

Thanks for the feedback,

peninsula

mpbro

mpbro - Aug 28, 2006 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice looking brookie!

I would never get tired of catching 10" brookies!

I kind of screwed myself on our Evolution Basin hike. We came over Lamarck Col on the first day. The first few of the Darwin lakes looked sterile and fishless. But that last one...nice.

We were eager to get some mileage, though, so we pushed on a few more miles to Evolution Lake. I figured that lower would be better. But unfortunately E. Lake had a bit (not excessive) overpopulation, i.e., 8" max goldens. I was physically worked, so didn't fish hard.

The only other fishing I did on that trip was in Lower Twin Lakes; 6-9" brookies. Unfortunately I had spinning gear--always more fun with the flyrod.

If you ever get up to Yosemite, give Lower Sardine Lake a try and let me know how it goes. Intriguing deepwater.

It's nice to find some fishermen on here. Good luck with your next trip!

Morgan

Viewing: 1-3 of 3