User Profile Image

User Profile Image

RoryKuykendall
on Oct 10, 2012 5:50 am
Image ID: 819097

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 5, 2012 12:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Great view!

Where is that?

RoryKuykendall

RoryKuykendall - Dec 5, 2012 9:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great view!

That picture was taken in Glacier National Park last summer during an off trail traverse from Siyeh Pass to the Many Glacier Hotel via the Boulder Creek Valley and the north slopes of Mount Wynn.

distressbark

distressbark - Dec 19, 2013 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Love this photo

Hope to attempt this long day trip someday... did you find any wolves?

RoryKuykendall

RoryKuykendall - Dec 19, 2013 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

The Lowline Experience

If Many Glacier to Wynn to Siyeh is the "Skyline Experience", I say we name this hike the "Lowline Experience". It's one of my favorite days ever in the park. I'd been wanting to check out Boulder Creek Valley since I was a kid. We didn't see any wolves but we did see a large herd of elk.

There's also supposedly a mineral lick on the north slopes of Wynn that's popular with goats. It's insider knowledge only for GNP hipsters. I've talked to rangers that have observed them at lick through a spotting scope on Many Glacier Road. We saw some while we were in that area.

I'm sure you've seen Chris's photos from Upper Boulder Creek Lake. It's worth scrambling down there from Siyeh Pass even if you don't continue all the way to MGH.

distressbark

distressbark - Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Lowline Experience

Yeah Rory, I've seen Chris' photos. Would love to make it down to those tarns one day. I believe old topo maps show a trail that followed Boulder Creek to these tarns. If I'm not mistaken, I read some info on GNP Chat a few years back from a dude who was able to find some old trail remnants somewhere south of Sherburne. I'll see if I can find anything for you.

RoryKuykendall

RoryKuykendall - Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Lowline Experience

I'm pretty sure there is a trail that goes from Sherburne Dam up to the crest of Boulder Ridge, right along the park boundary. I'd like do a hike from there to Rising Sun. There's a big beautiful lake just Northwest of East Flattop Mountain that's very high on my list of places to visit. It'd make for a pretty sweet two dayer.

distressbark

distressbark - Jan 24, 2017 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The Lowline Experience

Rory, you are correct, the old Boundary Trail can be followed from Sherburne Dam up to Boulder Ridge. I've included a trip report from GNP Chat for your reading/daydreaming pleasure:

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5609

Viewing: 1-7 of 7