Viewing: 1-2 of 2
kamil

kamil - Sep 17, 2011 5:38 pm - Voted 10/10

grading

Great description of an obscure route in a very little known area - well done!
I've read your comparison of grading systems so I understand that it's still 2A despite its hardest places being IV UIAA. But in the YDS (American) system I think this would be rather 5.6 (IV UIAA) than class 4 (II UIAA). Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, you better discuss it with our European-American Michael (mvs) who knows both UIAA and YDS grading systems :)
Cheers,
Kamil

mibu

mibu - Sep 18, 2011 6:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: grading

Hello Kamil,

thank you for your observation cause I had my doubts about the grading also. 2A is the official grade of this route (not given by me) and reflects the nature of the route: an easy couloir with a couple of steep obstacles where rope and protection is necessary.

The problem of these Romanian/Russian grades is that they don't give any clue about the technical difficulty. So for this I specified the UIAA grade.

I thought initially that "Class 4" would be appropriate because it refers to routes "involving short steep sections" (Wikipedia). But after reading Michael's "Handy Alpine Grade Facts" page, I think you are right, and the correspondence of UIAA IV should be YDS 5.6.

I will correct it,
Cheers,
Mihai

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Vâlcelul cu Fereastră (Window Couloir) ' main page