Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.81966°N / 112.76274°W
Additional Information County: Iron
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8050 ft / 2454 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is easily accessible from Interstate 15. Initially it's an easy hike but towards the end there's several false summits which are rather steep. We climbed it in November and it was covered in ice & snow. The views from the summit are outstanding and well worth the effort. I borrowed information from climb-utah.com to prepare this page.

Getting There

From I-15 take Parowan Exit #78, turn east on Main Street and drive 1.2 miles. Turn east (left) on Center Street and drive 0.3 miles, continue onto South Canyon Road for and additional 0.3 miles. Turn east (left) on City View Drive and follow the road 0.1 miles to the east side of the cemetery and the Valentine Peak Trailhead. The trailhead is identified by a large log arch with the words "Valentine Peak" across the top.

Route

From  the Valentine Peak Trailhead (N37° 50' 16", W112° 49' 01"), walk under the wooden arch and head east up the trail. As you crest the first ridge you will find a pair of bench on either end of the ridge. The second bench is an indicator that you have hiked approximately 1 mile. The trail snakes through juniper trees and passes several benches and chairs as it climbs to the summit. The trail is extremely well marked with signs telling you how far you have hiked and far you have left to go. Near the top the trail steepens and teases you with a false summit approximately 1/2 mile before the actual summit of Valentine Peak (N37° 49' 34", W112° 47' 17").

Red Tape

None.

When to Climb

Anytime although we encountered a good bit of snow & ice during our November summit. It certainly might require snowshoes, crampons & gaiters.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.