Via Point 7448

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.93444°N / 114.94°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pictured below is a zoom shot of Point 7448' from the east. This un-named point is the major "obstacle" in the route to climbing Ksanka Peak. I use the word obstacle loosely, as climbing over this point was just as much fun as climbing Ksanka. As you can see from this picture the route around the east side would've been problematic with broken cliffs, steep talus chutes, and vegetation to contend with. The west side was no better, with steep, unstable talus fields. Thus we chose to go over the top.

The Route In

THIS ROUTE BEGINS THE SAME AS OTHER MOUNTAINS IN THE TEN LAKES AREA, NAMELY GREEN AND POORMAN.




[img:812478:alignleft:small:Paradise Lake Reflection][img:759261:alignright:small:Trail #339 intersection] Hike up the Bluebird Trail #83 for approximately 2.32 miles gaining about 1150'. The goal is to reach the Highline Trail #339 as it traverses across the wide bench (Bluebird Basin) containing Paradise Lake and Bluebird Lake. Trail #83 is a well-maintained trail as it is the primary route to Bluebird Lake which is a popular destination in the Ten Lakes Scenic Area. The trail does switchbacking on its way up to the bench and crosses Bluebird Creek several times. Early in the season, more than one of these crossings could be problematic due to snowmelt.


[img:812462:alignleft:small:Junction with #340][img:812475:alignright:small:On #340]
Once at the intersection, turn left (south) to head to Ksanka. Rather quickly, you will come upon an un-marked trail snaking up and away to the right through the trees. This is UN-MAINTAINED Trail #340. On your approximately half-mile journey to the saddle of Point 7448 and Point 7417 you will need to use your route finding skills as the trail fades out briefly in a couple of areas. Look for small trail cairns and they should get you back on the trail. At this point on the trail, your first objective, Point 7448, pictured below, should be coming into view.



Continue your progression to the saddle between the points and enjoy the scenery, as this area is absolutely beautiful.




Upon reaching the saddle you're presented with three choices. Go around Point 7448' to the right or the left, or go over the top. We chose to go over the top after surveying the choices, deciding that it was the shortest and the safest choice...and we would get to climb it!!


The Choice
 



OVER THE TOP






Ascending 7448
 


The "climb" of Point 7448's north ridge, while not overly challenging, was still quite fun. As it steepens toward the top, the use of hands is required to make a couple of moves, but overall, very easy.

LOOKING BACK DOWN THE ROUTE




KSANKA FROM 7448 SUMMIT






Descending 7448's SW Ridge
 


We decided to descend to the left of the crest of the SW ridge. Most of the footing was loose and sketchy as we had to contend with deadfall, junipers, and some steep, loose, scree and a talus pile at the bottom.

KSANKA FROM THE SADDLE






Ascending Ksanka's NE Ridge
 


It was not necessary to climb on the crest of the ridge but the footing was better there. We did climb lower on the left side the higher we got so as to minimize the elevation loss as there was a large, flatter gap in the ridge before reaching the summit block.


Approaching Ksanka's Summit
 


At the summit block, you have the option of a short scramble if you stay to the left or you can walk up a scree ramp to the right. Walk a few feet further and then one final fairly easy pitch and you've made the summit.

LOOKING BACK DOWN THE ROUTE





THE SUMMIT


The Route Out

The route out is basically the same as the way in. The only change we made was to climb out directly on the crest of Point 7448's SW ridge. We hoped this would provide better footing than the way we chose to come down and we were correct. We were actually dreading the 300' climb back out, but once on the solid footing of the ridge, the scramble was quite fun.


[img:812501:aligncenter:medium:Approximate routes on Point 7448's SW ridge. Red is descending, green is ascending]



POINT 7448'S SW RIDGE





LOOKING BACK AT KSANKA






The SW RIDGE
 



ON THE RIDGE




Once back on the summit of Point 7448, simply retrace the rest of the original route in.






ROUTE STATISTICS
TerrainOne-Way MileageElevation Gain
Trail #832.321150'
Trail #339.1525'
Trail #340 to first saddle.52387'
Off-trail to Point 7448 summit.15209'
Descent to Ksanka saddle.15-299'
Ksanka's NE ridge to summit.29328'
Total3.582099'