View of Huayna Potosi while...

View of Huayna Potosi while...

View of Huayna Potosi while descending Charquini - Bolivia, July 2003
Rice Climber
on Apr 15, 2005 10:09 pm
Image ID: 100636

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Aug 15, 2005 11:51 am - Hasn't voted

Good shot

I want to congratulate you on a superb photo of Huayna Potosi, a mountain I climbed 47 years ago. nylekwalton@yahoo.com

Rice Climber

Rice Climber - Sep 15, 2005 3:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good shot

Thanks Nyle. I'm interested in knowing how the mountain has changed in 47 years.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Dec 3, 2005 9:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good shot

It looks pretty much the same now as then, judging from photographs. Climbing iHuayna Potosi was a much rarer thing to do in 1958. The four of us camped at the first level spot on the glacier. I understand that most climbers ascend higher to camp on the broad plateau that supports the final pyramid.

Rice Climber

Rice Climber - Dec 6, 2005 8:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good shot

Actually, the preferred camp is at Campo Roca, a flat rocky spot on a rib on the glacier. While the glacier camp puts you closer to the summit (by about 2 hours if memory serves correctly), it's cold and windy there.



The warmer conditions and view from Camp Roca is worth staying there...



Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Dec 13, 2005 10:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good shot

In 1958, we were fortunate enough to have calm sunny weather. I remember crawling out of the tent at dawn to cut a hole in the snow. There was a large cliff of ribbed ice rising above the camp to the east. There was no wind. We climbed under clear skies until clouds rose up to us just short of the summit. Clouds below us obstructed part of the view to the north toward Sorata and Illampu. In all it was a very satisfying climb that got us to 6,000 meters without much effort. The entire climb from La Paz and back took only three days and two nights.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5