Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.72697°N / 7.31555°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 18, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Southern Overview Meridional




This complete Area which encloses five adjacent Commons from East to the West. It forms the Southern edge of the hill overlooking the Town of Aosta and offers a varied possibility of walking, hiking or simply cultural visits at the foot of Mount Emilius Group, herein by Range Rouèses (East) and the watershed, that descending from Punta Valletta (3090m), determines the separation between the Pila Basin and the Valley of Cogne. Steps from the same city, unfolds a number of opportunities to make beautiful excursions starting from each of them. An area known primarily for Pila Ski Resort, but which deserves to be explored in the surrounding zones. That offer great views towards the North "embracing" in a large panoramic on Alpine Graian from Rutor to the Mont Blanc Chain and entire Pennine up to the Monte Rosa Group. From the valley floor and close to all municipalities rise beautiful trails or mule tracks, sometimes falled into oblivion, which date from the low and medium hill reaching the Vallons of the Laures and Arpisson, the Gorgias of Dard and subsequent Comboé Arbolle and Westward, the broad Conca of Pila. They may consist of long hikes, as the Refuge Menabreaz near Lower Laures Loch (2546m; 3h'30/4h'00), or short walks to the Pastures of Reveries du Tzat and Dessous (1042m; from 1h'00 to 1h'30/2h'00) starting with different possibilities, or the Hermitage San Grato with departure by Pila (1773m; 0h'50/1h'10). But also in crossings between two adjacent municipalities as Charvensod to reach the Martsaouchy Pastures (1362m, 1430m; 1h'30/2h'00) or the overlying Arpisson Alps below the "Sources of Emilius" (1951 m, 2010 m; 2h'45/3h'15), or that of Gressan the refuge Arbolle at the eponymous lake passing from Lake Chamolé (2512m, 2325m; 1h'45/2h'15 otherwise 1h'00/1h'30 to the Chamolé Loch). Finally a nice walk, passing yhrough Chamolé Pasture (2156/60m), in the idyllic Valley of Comboé, placed in the middle between the upper Arbolle and underlying Gorgias of Dard (1h'10/1h'30).
But do not forget the lower middle hill that offers, wandering amongst these, many and varied beautiful walks to be combined with historical, cultural visits ...

CURTAIN ... VIII Laures Lochs From Laures Point 1994
Kids & Teens/1 Going to Reverier du Tzat Alp 1985
Martsaouchy Alps at the feet of Western Arpisson 2015
One-week trip around Hermitages San Grato 2015
Watershed Punta Valletta-Bellefaçe-Testa Nera 2016


Walks & Hikes from Grand Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan & Jovençan Communes all below Monte Emilius

by Osw 1994, 1985, 2015/16

Quest'intera area comprende cinque Comuni adiacenti da Oriente ad Occidente. Costituisce il margine Meridionale della Collina soprastante la Città di Aosta ed offre una variegata possibilità di effettuare passeggiate, escursioni o semplici visite culturali ai piedi del Gruppo del Monte Emilius, qui contenuto dalla Catena delle Rouèses (Est) e lo spartiacque che, scendendo dalla Punta della Valletta (3090 m), determina la separazione tra la Conca di Pila e la Valle di Cogne. Una zona principalmente conosciuta per il Resort sciistico di Pila, ma che merita di essere esplorata anche nei suoi dintorni. Che offrono grandi vedute verso Settentrione "abbracciando" in una grande panoramica le Alpi Graie dalla Catena del Rutor al Monte Bianco e le intere Pennine fino al Gruppo del Monte Rosa. Dal fondovalle e nei pressi di tutti i comuni salgono bei sentieri o mulattiere, a volte cadute nell'oblio, che risalgono la bassa e la media collina raggiungendo i Valloni delle Laures ed Arpisson, la Gorgia del Dard ed i successivi di Comboé e di Arbolle nonché, verso Occidente, la larga Conca di Pila. Possono consistere in lunghe escursioni, come al Rifugio Menabreaz (2546 m; 3h'30/4h'00) presso il Lago Dessous delle Laures, oppure in brevi passeggiate verso gli Alpeggi di Reverier du Tzat e Dessous (1042 m; da 1h'00 ad 1h'30/2h'00) partendo con diverse possibilità, oppure all'Eremitaggio di San Grato partendo da Pila (1773 m; 0h'50/1h'10). Ma anche in traversate tra due attigui comuni come da Charvensod per raggiungere le Alpi di Martsaouchy (1362 m, 1430 m; 1h'30/2h'00) o dell'Arpisson al di sotto delle "Sorgenti dell'Emilius" (1951 m, 2010 m; 2h'45/3h'15), oppure da quello di Gressan al Rifugio di Arbolle presso l'omonimo lago passando dal Lago di Chamolé (2512 m, 2325 m; 1h'45/2h'15 oppure 1h'00/1h'30 a Chamolé). Per concludere una bella passeggiata, passando per l'Alpe di Chamolé (2156/60m; fontana), nell'idilliaco e pittoresco Vallone del Comboé, collocato a metà tra quello superiore dell'Arbolle e la sottostante ombrosa Gorgia del Dard (1h'10/1h'30).
Ma non dimenticatevi della medio-bassa collina che offre, girovagando tra questi, numerose e varie belle passeggiate da abbinare a visite storico-culturali ...

East towards West visiting five Commons

This complete Area which includes 5 Commons, can be visited with a course of one or various days, noting that "Envers" means the less exposed to the sun and vice versa. On the second day, leaving from the Commons of Quart or Grand Brissogne, it takes the "Envers" through Pollein and then climb to Charvensod up to Pila Basin and, after descending to Gressan, continue towards Jovençan until Aymavilles, now at the entrance on Cogne Valley. This area "du Sud Envers" starting from Quart or Grand Brissogne progressively reach the Communes of Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan, Jovençan up to that of Aymavilles at the gates of Cogne Valley. If the first stage we have not made the return with the opportunity returning from Quart to Aymavilles Commons with his Castle along the "Via de l'Envers" beyond the Dora Baltea and towards the Municipalities of Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan and Jovençan. Nearby the Pont Suaz Hamlet with a stone bridge, whence in Aosta, in this we travel back this way. If instead we have already traveled this route from the bridge of Pont Suaz (564m), on the outskirts of Aosta, climb directly in Pila Basin, which also comes from Gressan starting with an alternative Regional Road, while in Jovençan you can explore the wooded area below the "Pera" or Pointe de la Pierre, now on the border with entrance on adjacent Cogne Valley.
Let's see in detail: from the Municipality of Quart (546/56m) to leave the National Road No. 26, crossing the bridge over the Dora Baltea in locality Villefranche of Quart (557m), immediately to the East; reach a roundabout you leave momentarily the Regional Road along the course of Dora Baltea going instead to the South in the direction of the Municipality of Grand Brissogne (906/19m). A brief and "winding" descent through a small road Municipal reports on Regional Road to the Municipality of Pollein, passing the village of les Ayettes (849m) to those of Chaney, Château and Petit Pollein (557m). Continuing to the West, it passes the Villages of Grand Pollein (547m), Prefieur, Tharençan reaching Pollein Commune (546m). A brief digression in the Southwest to reach the Hamlet of Chenaux (656m), at the entrance of the Dard Gorge, while a connecting road to reach, passing over the Torrent de Comboé, those of Roulaz and High Félinaz (591m), now in Charvensod Common. With short descent on Regional will reach the Fraction of Pian Felina (565/8m) , above which you will come to Pont-Suaz (564m). From this point, a choice must be made: A)- or continue, the same street and the same direction along the Dora Baltea, gradually reaching the Municipalities of Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles. B)- Otherwise momentarily abandon this and go back to the Municipality of Charvensod (610m) and immediately above the trail n° 14L Sanctuary of Santa Colomba (924m; 0h'50/1h'00), below the wide Basin Pila. In the latter case extends the stage half-day but making the same certainly more "rich" and suggestive. Continuing from the common to the East you reach the junction 951 metres, where a small deviation with Municipal Road in asphalt leads to the Pastures of Reverier or Rayer "du Tzat" and just above Reverier Dessous (1042m). Returning to the Regional is beyond the small Villages Vagères, Bondine (1018m; here also from Santa Colomba Sanctuary with the path n° 14D; 0h'15), Roncogner, Lexeret, Reverier Marendet and Dessus, la Rochette, Saint Salò, Plan de Sérémont 1382m), Peroulaz and Les Fleurs ((1414m) small Villages. *** Here comes another Regional Road alternative by Gressan, then useful for our descent from Pila). Passing at the next Chacot, Large Cerise, Eaux-Froides, Charémoz (1662m); fountain), Rossellin, Mozod, in order to expose, Chacard you reach Pila-Resort ((803m; 18km from Pont-Suaz). From Pila-Center you can with the path-farm road to the East n° 14I reaching fhe famous and renowned Hermitage San Grato (1787m; 0h'45); by other paths n° 20/102; 19, 14/16/19A to Comboé (2114m; 1h'15/1h'30), right at the Western foot of Becca di Nona (3142m) and of the wide Monte Emilius (3559m) Group.

One-week trip around ... Grand Brissogne Castle 2015
Surroundings / B Pollein  Mater Nostra  Chapel 2015
Surroundings / B S.S. Barbe & Marguerite Chapel 2015
<i> Pira </i> Jovençan Tour de la Plantà of XII° Century 2015
Jov ... S. Giorgio Church & Cité de Cordèle Castle 2015


An expanded area at the Northern feet of Monte Emilius with various votive Chapels ancient Towers & Castles,

by Osw 2015/16


Quest'area comprende 5 Municipalità. Può essere visitata in una o diverse giornate, facendo notare che per "Envers" s'intende la zona meno esposta al sole e viceversa. Con partenza dai Comuni di Quart o Grand Brissogne, si percorre l'"Envers" attraversando Pollein e fino a Charvensod per poi salire a Pila e, dopo la discesa a Gressan, continuare verso Jovençan sino ad Aymavilles ormai all'inizio della Valle di Cogne. Percorrendo la strada da Oriente ad Occidente e rientrando verso Aymavilles con il suo Castello percorrere la "Route de l'Envers" al di là della Dora Baltea e verso i Comuni di Grand Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan e Jovençan. Da Grand Brissogne-Primaz si sale nel Vallone delle Laures, da Pollein in quello di Arpisson, dal ponte del Pont Suaz (564 m), alle porte di Aosta, si sale direttamente nella Conca di Pila, dove si arriva anche partendo da Gressan con una Strada Regionale alternativa mentre da Jovençan si può esplorare la boscosa area al di sotto della "Pera", ormai al confine con l'ingresso della Valle di Cogne.
Vediamo nel dettaglio: partendo dal Comune di Quart (546/56 m) si abbandona la Strada Statale n° 26 attraversando il ponte sulla Dora Baltea in località Villefranche (557 m), subito ad Est; giunti ad una rotonda si lascia momentaneamente la Strada Regionale lungo il corso della Baltea salendo invece a Mezzogiorno in direzione del Comune di Grand Brissogne (906/19 m). Una breve e "tortuosa" discesa tramite una Stradina Municipale riporta sulla Strada Regionale per il Comune di Pollein, passando dal Villaggio di les Ayettes (849 m) a quelli di Chaney, Château e Petit Pollein (557 m). Continuando ad Ovest si oltrepassano i Villaggi di Grand Pollein (547 m), Prefieur, Tharençan raggiungendo il Comune di Pollein (546 m). Una breve divagazione a Sudovest permette di raggiungere la Frazione di Chenaux (656 m), all'imbocco della Gorgia del Dard, mentre una strada di collegamento permette di raggiungere, passando sopra al Torrent de Comboé, quelle di Roulaz ed Alto Félinaz (591 m), ormai nel Comune di Charvensod. Con corta discesa sulla Regionale si raggiunge la Frazione di Pian Felina (565/8 m), oltrepassata la quale si perviene al Pont-Suaz (564 m). Da questo punto una scelta s'impone: A)- o continuare, stessa strada e stessa direzione lungo la Dora Baltea, raggiungendo progressivamente i Comuni di Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles. Oppure B)- momentaneamente abbandonare questa e risalire verso il Comune di Charvensod (610 m) ed appena al di sopra con il sentiero n° 14L al Santuario di Santa Colomba (924 m; 0h'50/1h'00), sottostante la Conca di Pila. In questo secondo caso si allunga il percorso ma rendendo la stessa sicuramente più "ricca" e suggestiva. Continuando dal comune verso Oriente si raggiunge il bivio 951 metri, dove una piccola deviazione con strada in asfalto conduce agli Alpeggi di Reverier o Rayer "du Tzat" e Dessous (1042 m). Rientrando sulla Regionale si oltrepassano i piccoli Villaggi di Vagères, Bondine (1018 m; qui anche da Santa Colomba col n° 14D; 0h'15), Roncogner, Lexeret, Reverier Dessus, la Rochette, Saint Salò, Plan de Sérémont (1382 m), Peroulaz e Les Fleurs (1414 m). *** Qui arriva anche un'altra Strada Regionale alternativa con partenza dal centro del Comune di Gressan, utile poi per la nostra discesa da Pila). Passando presso i successivi Villaggi di Chacot, Grande Cerise, Eaux-Froides, Charémoz (1662 m), Rossellin, Mozod, Perchu, Chacard si giunge a Pila ((1803 m; 18 Km dal Pont-Suaz). Da Pila é possibile con il sentiero-poderale ad Est n° 14I al rinomato Eremitaggio di San Grato (1787 m; 0h'45) e da questo o con altri sentieri n° 20/102; 19, 14/16/19A al Comboé (2114 m; 1h'15/1h'30), ai piedi della Becca di Nona (3142 m) nonché dell'esteso Gruppo del Monte Emilius (3559 m).

One-week trip around ... Grand Brissogne Church 2015
Surroundings / B Pollein San Giorgio main Church 2015
Aosta & Surroundings / B Pont Suaz little Church 2015
Surr ... Gressan-Chabloz (Château Tour de Villa) 2015
Aosta & Surr ... Jovençan San Giorgio Church 2015


Grand Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan & Jovençan Municipalities all below Monte Emilius Group

by Osw 2015/16


Comments

No comments posted yet.