Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.63438°N / 7.06527°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 7, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Val Overview Gray



Valgrisenche spanning over 25 km until the border with Valdisère in France, wide from 3 to 10 at its highest point, is even known and called as "Grey" Valley,
perhaps to emphasize the always cool or cold temperatures fueled by the winds that come from the Great Sassière (3751m), maximum peak of the valley, but also the highest elevation between the Gran Paradiso (4061m) and the Group of Mount Blanc 3817m with the Aiguille des Glaciers (3817m), but in fact it is also and above all a green valley, where this color abounds everywhere from the grasslands of the plains to the edge of the its glaciers. Takes origin from the Hamlet of Leverogne or Liverogne (L'Eyvies or Waters "mangy", that impetuous) South of Dora Baltea Stream and salt winning one bastion below the Tower of Montmayeur or Mont Majeur, also known as the Tower of eur Arboé or Haury and yet told of Anry, famous for its horrifying legends ( from the rock were thrown the hated enemies or sentenced horrid below), then, before, the valley is wedged in the course of the homonymous Dora and, after, progressively opening in a plain, which starts offering views of the Group Rutor. Leaving on the right (West) on the great Vallon of Planaval-Fond continues more open and, after several villages, reaches Valgrisenche, its Chief Town at the foot of the Dam Beauregard, being closed to the danger due to landslides on its slopes. Remains of its waters still bury the old Village Fornet, once the center of life fruitful and where bread was cooked twice in each year; the new Fornet (1726m) was then built just upstream the tributary of artificial lake. Two side streets surround it: the first fraction from the salt on his Eastern side of Mondanges Fraction is currently closed to traffic for these reasons. The second runs along the opposite side to reach the small Villages of Bonne and Menthieu and then dropped to Surrier and Us(s)ellières Pastures, where he started on the path to Mario Bezzi Shelter at Vaudet Alp (2284m), located at the Northern foot of the wide Glacier of Glairetta or Gliairetta.

Over reigns the Grande Sassière with its surroundings,

by Osw 2015




Above all reigns the majestic glacial Grande Sassière (3751m). They say that this mountain is the most scenic of the whole Aosta Valley and see that from his Top 230 glaciers and mountains over 1000. Are 37 or 60 thus adding those that become less important, instead, the peaks that rise above its numerous vallons
.
Among these are those who cite the Refuge Epée and the overlying Ravelli Bivouac at the edge of the Glacier of Mount Forciaz Fortchat or, at the foot of the Northern and Western slopes of the Great Rousse, North Point, the most right round up the two Glaciers of th'Invergnaou and Giasson, below the long ridge that reaches from the summit of the same name Becca. Important crossings, such as the Col du Mont, mark the passage over the centuries to France, and to Valley Thuile Pass Planaval at the foot of the Mount Paramont Group, shows a way as high as long that leads to the Refuge Albert Deffeyes, before the Glaciers Rutor. Opposite crossings lead to internal Rhêmes, including the Fenetre de Torrent which bypasses the divider between Grande Rousse and Point of Rab(o)uigne which passes on the Alta Via n° 2 of the Aosta Valley joining Rhêmes Valgrisenche. Other passes combine these two parallel valleys, such as those of Bassac Déré and Bassac easy enough crossing, in the South, while those in the North of Cussuna, Feleumaz and Tzaboc are certainly roughest; then it's all the territory of the hunters more and more "marginalized", fortunately, to the borders of the West P.N.G.P. that arriving until the Dora Rhêmes. To find another way of connecting, you must use the long road leads diagonally from fractions of Rhêmes towards the watershed catching Maison Cou (2219m)​​, under the Mont de l'Ane, before falling to the top of Valgrisa above the Villages of the Pileo, Grand'Haury, with its horrific tower, and Les Combes (1323m), of which we will say just ahead. At the bottom of the head and those of Sassière and of Fond lead in Valdisère, but does require the crossing of glaciers not simple and fairly dangerous. Home to the ancient settlements with magnesite mine, showing his long climb medieval bridges, a chapel in 1400 in the locality of Verconey and many waterfalls including one worth noting is the Miollet, above Céré Village. In recent decades it has been chosen by two Popes John Paul II° or Wojtyla and Benedict XVI° or Ratzinger, who have chosen as the location for their summer vacation home of which made it famous Village of Les Combes, at the foot of North Slopes Becca del Merlo or Chamin (2961m).
It presents, in addition to thirty-seven major Summits, as many hills and numerous glaciers, mainly it offers a primordial Nature and savagely still untouched,

who will return even more so after that will be dismantled dangerous Beauregard Dam. This is not a resort "In" or for Mountaineering that for Skiing, even if there are small ski lifts, but rather is a place for lovers of real mountain, one that does not have stupid Indian file for climbing. Let's say true Paradise for Hikers, lovers of the Ski-Mountaineering.
It is not excluded from world, so much so that he saw, in the Centuries, go to Col du Mont, Salassians, Romans, French Army, Austrian, Spanish, even Napoleon.



La Valgrisenche lunga oltre 25 Km fino ai confini con la Valdisère in Francia e larga da 3 a 10 nel suo punto massimo è anche riconosciuta quale la Valle "Grigia",
forse a sottolineare le temperature sempre fresche o fredde alimentate dai venti che provengono "spifferando" dalla Grande Sassière (3751 m), massima vetta della valle, ma anche maggior elevazione tra il Gran Paradiso (4061 m) e l'inizio del Gruppo del Monte Bianco con l'Aiguille des Glaciers 3817 m. In realtà apare anche e soprattutto siccome una valle verde, dove questo colore ovunque abbonda dalle praterie della piana insino ai margini dei suoi ghiacciai. Prende origine dal Borgo di Leverogne o Liverogne (L'Eyvies od appunto Acque "rognose", cioé impetuose) a Sud del corso della Dora Baltea e sale vincendo uno spalto sottostante la Torre di Montmay(j)eur o Mont Mayeur, detta anche Torre di Arboé o di Haury ed ancor d'Anry, famosa per le sue raccappriccianti leggende ( raccontan che dalla rupe venivano gettati gli odiati nemici od i condannati nell'orrido sottostante). Quindi la valle dapprima s'incunea presso il corso dell'omonima Dora ed indi va progressivamente dischiudendosi in una piana, che inizia ad offrire viste sul Gruppo del Rutor. Lasciato sulla destra (Ovest) il grande Vallone di Planaval-Fond, prosegue più aperta e, superati diversi villaggetti, raggiunge Valgrisenche, suo capolugo ai piedi della Diga Artificiale di Beauregard, in fase di chiusura per la pericolosità dovuta a franamenti sui suoi versanti. I resti delle sue acque seppelliscono ancora l'antico Villaggio del Fornet, un tempo centro di vita feconda, ove si cuoceva il pane due volte all'anno; il nuovo Fornet (1726 m) é stato poi ricostruito appena a monte dell'immissario del lago artificiale. Due strade laterali la contornano: la prima che dalla Frazione di Mondanges sale sul suo fianco Orientale attualmente é chiusa al traffico per i suddetti motivi. La seconda percorre il lato opposto raggiungendo i piccoli Villaggi di Bonne e Menthieu per poi scendere a quelli di Surrier ed Us(s)ellières, dove ha inizio il sentiero per il Rifugio Mario Bezzi all'Alpe Vaudet (2284 m), posizionato ai piedi del Ghiacciaio Glairetta distendentesi a Settentrione e che alla base presenta il cupo "brontolio delle famose Marmitte" o caverne glaciali.
Sopra regna la Grande Sassière. Dicon che questa montagna sia la più panoramica della Valle e che dalla sua Cima si vedan oltre 1000 montagne e 230 ghiacciai.



Le sue montagne invece risultano 37 che diventano ben 60 assommando quelle meno importanti, ovvero le Vette che s'innalzano al di sopra dei suoi vari valloni
.
Tra questi abbiamo quelli che adducono al Rifugio dell'Epée ed al soprastante Bivacco Ravelli al margine del Ghiacciaio di Mont Forciaz o Fortchat, ai piedi dei Versanti Settentrionale ed Occidentale della Grande Rousse, Punta Nord; più a destra completano il quadro i due Ghiacciai dell'Invergnaou e del Giasson, sottostanti la lunga cresta che dalla Vetta raggiunge l'omonima Becca. Valichi importanti, come il Col du Mont, segnano nei secoli il passaggio verso la Francia, mentre verso la Valle di Thuile il Passo di Planaval, ai piedi del Gruppo del Mont Paramont, indica una via tanto alta quanto lunga che conduce al Rifugio Albert Deffeyes, prima dei Ghiacciai del Rutor. Sul lato opposto valichi interni portano a Rhêmes, tra i quali la Fenetre de Torrent che scavalca il divisorio tra Grande Rousse e Punta Rab(o)uigne sul quale transita l'Alta Via n° 2 della Valle di Aosta congiungendo Rhemes a Valgrisenche. Altri colli uniscono queste due vallate parallele, come quelli di Bassac Déré e Bassac con abbastanza facile attraversata, a Mezzogiorno, mentre a Settentrione quelli di Cussuna, Feleumaz e Tzaboc sono sicuramente più impervi; poi é tutto territorio dei cacciatori sempre più "emarginati", fortunatamente, ad Occidente dai confini del P.N.G.P. che arriva fino alla Dora di Rhêmes. Per trovare un'altra via di collegamento si deve utilizzare la lunga e vecchia mulattiera risalente in diagonale dalle frazioni di Rhêmes verso lo spartiacque raggiungendolo a Maison Cou (2219 m), sotto il Mont de l'Ane, per poi discendere all'inizio della Valgrisa sopra i Villaggi del Pileo, Grand'Haury, con la sua orrifica torre, e Les Combes (1323 m), della quale diremo appena più avanti. In fondo alla testata quelli della Sassière e del Fond conducono in Valdisère, ma richiedono l'attraversamento non semplice di piuttosto pericolosi ghiacciai. Sede di antichi insediamenti con miniera di magnesite, mostra lungo la sua salita ponti medioevali, una cappella del 1400 in località Verconey e tante cascate tra le quali si evidenzia quella del Miollet cascante sopra al Villaggio di Céré. Negli ultimi decenni é stata visitata dai due Papi Giovanni Paolo II° e Benedetto XVI°, che han scelto come località per le lor vacanze estive la sede del reso più che famoso Villaggio di Les Combes, ai piedi della Becca del Merlo o di Chamin.
Oltre a ben trentasette Vette importanti, altrettanti colli e numerosi ghiacciai, offre soprattutto una Natura primordiale e selvaggiamente ancor incontaminata,
che ritornerà ancora più tale dopo che verrà smantellata la pericolsa Diga di Beauregard. Non é una località "In" né per l'Alpinismo che per lo Sci, pur esistondone piccoli impianti; piuttosto é per gli amatori della vera montagna, quella che non presenta stupide file indiane per le ascensioni. Chiamamolo vero Paradiso per Escursionisti e per lo Sci-Alpinismo.
Ma non é esclusa dal mondo, tanto che ha visto, nei Secoli, passare per il Col du Mont, Salassi, Romani, Armate Francesi, Austriache Spagnole e pur Napoleone.

Mont Blanc from Les Combes,

by Osw 2015



Getting There

By car:
  • From Torino, Milano, etc: Motorway A5. Exit in Aosta Ovest. Drive to the near Aymavilles. Follow in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
  • From Switzerland: through the Grand St. Bernard Tunnel or the homonym Pass). Drive to Aosta, then follow Courmayeur direction on SS.26. Just after Sarre, turn to the left, in the direction of Valle di Cogne.
  • From France: through Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit St. Bernard Pass). It isn't necessary to enter in Motorway A5, you can drive through SS.26 Aosta direction. Before arriving at the Village of Leverogne, follow the sign and turn right towards Grisenche Valley.
By plane:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta).
    Specific Itinerary Road.


  • Whether arriving from West to East that (Aosta SS n. 26 to 15 km) to reach the Hamlet of Leverogne (740m) and with winding road to reach in succession Garin (796m), Ra(e)voire (950m; gym
    rock) Villages and, with beautiful views to the ruins of the grim Castle Montmajeur sited on hanging rocky promontory, to reach Villages of Chamençon (1278m), which is left to the East, and Chamin (1278m), the next Fraction of Planaval mouth of the vallon, is discarded right and continue to the South to the Villages of Revers (1530 m), Prariond (1548m), Céré (1605m) and La Bethaz (1615m) to finally reach the Chief-lieu of Valgrisenche (1661m) and the nearby Village of Mondanges (1652m), just below the front of the Beauregard Dam.




    Sia arrivando da Ovest che da Est (Aosta S.S. n. 26 a 15 Km) raggiungere il Borgo di Leverogne (740 m) e con stretti tornanti raggiungere in successione Garin (796 m), Ra(e)voire (950 m; palestra di roccia) e, con bella vista sui resti dell'arcigno Castello di Montmajeur sospeso sul soprastante promontorio roccioso, raggiungere i Villaggi di Chamençon (1278 m), che si lascia ad Est, e Chamin (1278 m); la successiva Frazione di Planaval (1557 m), all'imbocco dell'omonimo vallone, si scarta a destra continuando a Mezzogiorno verso i Villaggi di Revers (1530 m), Prariond (1548 m), Céré (1605 m) e La Bethaz (1655 m) pervenendo infine al Capoluogo di Valgrisenche (1661 m) e la vicina Frazione di Mondanges (1652 m), proprio sotto il fronte della Diga di Beauregard.




From Dora Baltea towards the France

From Leverogne-Arvier into the valley floor towards Valgrisenche Commons, by Osw 2015


Ancient Alp Remains at entrance in Valgrisenche 2015
In the little square of the Church Valgrisenche 2015
Valgrisenche Monument to the Fallen of the Wars 2015
(Valgrisa/La Thuile) / D-2 Dedicated to an Abbot 2015
(Valgrisenche)  Fountain in Bonne above Village 2015


Specific Itineraries Roads and some small Hike

Two are the possibilities towards the Valgrisenche
:

1)-
whether arriving from West to East that (Aosta State Road n. 26 to 15 km) to reach the Hamlet of Leverogne (740m), nearby Arvier Municipality, and with winding road, going up the steep rocky hill above dominated by the Church of Rochefort currently being restored, to reach in succession the small Villages of Garin (796m), Ra(e)voire (950 metres; San Pietro in Vincoli Chapel; gym rock) and, with beautiful views to the ruins of the grim Castle Montmajeur or Montmayeur sited on hanging rocky promontory, to reach Villages of Chamençon (1278m) and Chamin (1278m), both are left to the East. The next Fraction of Planaval (1557 metres; Church and "Maison-forte" of XIII° Century), mouth of the vallon, is discarded right and continue to the South to the Villages of Revers (1615 metres; yellowish Chapel of 1902 with mini Steeple).

"Sentier d'antan" (of yesteryear) and trip to the Alpage of Bòregne (2000 metres)

Wanting instead to walk, from Revers, starting in the village and just before the Church (signaling paths in yellow) you can make two different solutions:
a)- to reach the Chief-town of Valgrisenche and the next little Village of Mondanges through trail n° 22, which goes up with a long diagonal to the East of the Doire de Valgrisenche, reaching in succession the little localities of Prariond (1548/58m), La Frassy (1658/76m), Planté (1656m), Gerbelle (1621/29m) and then passing on the other side of the Valgrisenche's Doire, the Capital of Valgrisenche and the small Village of Mondanges just across the Beauregard Dam, currently in an advanced stage of dismantling (the last part is closed at this time for the work in progress; 1660 metres; average with routes from 0h'35 to 1h'30, taking as reference for 1h'00 Hamlet La Frassy.
b)- or by Revers up with path n° 4B decidedly Eastwards reaching Alp Bòregne (2000m); 1h'15/1h'30), located at the foot Grand Revers, Becca Verconey (3165m, 2925m).

Continuing instead on the Regional Road, always with short detour to the East, you will reach the Villages of Prariond (1548 metres; Chapel with tiny belfry, built aigainst the houses and with windows ogival), Céré (1605 metres; Chapel with a fresco in front) and La Bethaz (1655 metri; brief excursion towards the Alp Miollet, 1895 metres, with small path n° 18; 0h'45/1h'00) to finally reach the Chief-lieu of Valgrisenche (1661m) and the nearby of Mondanges (1652 metres; yellowish Chapel with tiny bell).

Madonna golden memory of the Marian Year 2015
Bonne Chapel below Becca des 4 Dents & Feluma 2015
Valgris ... Bonne Chapel below Becca de 4 Dents 2015
Valgrisenche Church and XIV° Century Steeple 2015
(Valgrisenche) Planaval Fraction (Arvier) Church 2015


Returning from Bonne Village (Valgrisenche Municipality) towards Planaval Fraction (Arvier) in the mid valley, by Osw 2015


2)-
Or, as already proposed in "One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: North Valley High (Valdigne) / R-1", from Villeneuve Common to take the Regional Road to Introd Commune but not reach the same why you visited already since the second day. Instead reached the junction 806 metres for Villes Dessous small Hamlet at the Chapel of St. Giacomo of 1867 cross the country reaching Ville Dessus with little Church of St. Hilary always 1800. Here (863m) can also be reached by continuing briefly on Regional Road and with short descent that leads to the tiny square in front of the same, where as part of a much shorter nice walk on an ancient paved and signaled path and adressed to the immediately above little Chapel of Santa Anna (0h'15) on the road that goes down to Arvier Municipality. From this, with mini "Picnic area" and small car park as well as magnificent views over the Central Valley of Baltea and the Group of Mount Emilius (3559m), continue straight on the right, leaving the detour to Les Combes Village, just below the Mont de l'Âne and Becca del Merlo or of Chamin, (1341m; San Lorenzo Chapel), the place of spiritual summer retreats of the Popes "John Paul II° Benedict XVI°" in recent years, always passing high above the "Comba Neye de la Mort". From Les Combes descend, always with paved road to the Village of Grand Haury (1178m; Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene; small hike through the forest and to the Northwest via small path n° 2A to the remains of the Château de Montmayeur 1149 metres) and Petit Haury (1050m; Chapel of Santa Margherita), Verney 894 metres; Chapel of St. Leonard), Crête 821 metres; Chapel of St. Rocco and Anna) and hence to Avier Leverogne junction in the previous way. So doing stretches a little the way, but definitely making the most beautiful, charming and attractive.



Due sono le possibilità per recarsi in Valgrisenche:

1)-
sia arrivando da Ovest che da Est (Aosta Strada Statale n. 26 a 15 Km) raggiungere il Borgo di Leverogne (740 m), presso il Comune di Arvier, e con stretti tornanti, risalendo la ripida collina rocciosa soprastante dominata dalla Chiesa di Rochefort attualmente in fase di restauro, raggiungere in successione i Villaggetti di Garin (796 m), Ra(e)voire (950 metri; Cappella di San Pietro in Vincoli; palestra di roccia) e, con bella vista sui resti dell'arcigno Castello di Montmajeur o Montmayeur sospeso sul soprastante promontorio roccioso, raggiungere quelli di Chamençon (1278 m) e Chamin (1278 m), che entrambi vengono lasciati ad Est. La successiva Frazione di Planaval (1557 metri; Chiesa e Casaforte del XIII° Secolo), all'imbocco dell'omonimo vallone, si scarta a destra continuando a Mezzogiorno verso il Villaggetto di Revers (1530 metri; Cappella giallognola del 1902 con campaniletto), collocato alle pendici Settentrionali di Grand Revers, Becca di Tos e Becca Verconey (3164/5 m, 3301 m, 2925 m).

"Sentier d'antan" e gita all'Alpeggio di Bòregne (2000 metri)

Volendo invece camminare, da Revers, partendo dentro il villaggio e subito prima della Chiesa (segnalazione dei sentieri in giallo) si possono effettuare due soluzioni diverse:
a)- raggiungere il Capoluogo di Valgrisenche ed il successivo villaggetto di Mondanges tramite il sentiero n° 22, che sale con un lungo diagonale ad Oriente della Doire de Valgrisenche, raggiungendo in successione le località di Prariond (1548/58 m), La Frassy (1658/76 m), Planté (1656 m), Gerbelle (1621/29 m) e poi, transitando sulla sponda opposta della Doire, il Capoluogo di Valgrisenche ed il Villaggetto di Mondanges proprio di fronte alla Diga di Beauregard, attualmente in fase avanzata di smantellamento (lo ultimo tratto risulta in questo momento chiuso per i lavori in corso; 1660 m; mediamente con percorsi da 0h'35 ad 1h'30, tenendo come riferimento 1h'00 per La Frassy.
b)- oppure da Revers salire col sentiero n° 4B decisamente ad Est raggiungendo l'Alpe di Bòregne (2000 m); 1h'15/1h'30), posta alle pendici della Becca Verconey (2925 m).

Continuando invece sulla Regionale, sempre con breve deviazione ad Oriente, si raggiungono i Villaggi di Prariond (1548 metri; Cappella con Campaniletto, costruita in corpo alle abitazioni e con finestre ad ogiva), Céré ((1605 metri; Cappellina con affresco frontale) e La Bethaz (1655 metri; breve escursione all'Alpe Miollet, 1895 metri, con sentierino n° 18; 0h'45/1h'00) pervenendo infine al Capoluogo di Valgrisenche (1661 m) e la vicina Frazione di Mondanges (1652 metri, Cappella giallina con campanella).

Valgrisenche panel of stage dam decommissioning 2015
(Valgrisa) / D-2 Pointe Rabuigne from the Dam 2015
Beauregard Dam advanced stage decommissioning 2015
(Valgrisa) Gr. Rousse between Rabuigne & Forciaz 2015
(Valgrisenche) Triple Route towards three Shelters 2015


A little tour from Valgrisenche towards Bonne and Menthieu Villages in the upper valley with Beauregard Dam, by Osw 2015


2)-
Oppure, come già proposto in "One-week trip around Castles Churches and Shrines: High North Valley (Valdigne) / D-1", dal Comune di Villeneuve prendete la strada per Introd ma non lo raggiungete poiché lo avete visitato di già nella seconda giornata. Raggiunto invece il bivio 806 metri per Villes Dessous presso la Cappella di San Giacomo del 1867 attraversate il paese raggiungendo Ville Dessus con Chiesetta di Sant'Ilario sempre del 1800. Qui (863 m) si può giungere anche continuando per breve tempo sulla Strada Regionale e con breve discesa che porta alla piazzetta davanti alla medesima, dove parte una tanto corta quanto bella passeggiata su d'un antico sentierucolo lastricato nonché segnalato verso la soprastante Cappelletta di Santa Anna (0h'15) sulla Strada che scende ad Arvier. Da questa, con mini parcheggio e minuscola "Area Picnic" nonché magnifico panorama sulla Valle Centrale della Dora Baltea ed il Gruppo del Monte Emilius (3559 m), si prosegue, lasciando la stada che scende ad Arvier, si prende subito sulla sinistra (Ovest) la deviazione per Les Combes (1341 m; Cappella di San Lorenzo), luogo dei ritiri estivi spirituali dei Papi "Giovanni Paolo II° e Benedetto XVI°" negli ultimi anni, sempre passando alti sopra la "Comba Neye de la Mort". Da Les Combes si scende, sempre con strada asfaltata, ai Villaggi di Grand Haury (1178 m; Cappella di Santa Maddalena; piccola escursione attraverso la foresta e verso Nordovest tramite il sentiero n° 2A ai resti del Château de Montmayeur 1149 metri) e di Petit Haury (1050 metri; Cappella di Santa Margherita), Verney 894 metri; Cappella di San Leonardo), Crête 821 metri; Cappella dei Santi Rocco ed Anna) donde ad Avier e Leverogne allacciandosi alla precedente via. Così facendo si allunga di un poco il percorso, rendendolo però sicuramente più bello, suggestivo ed attraente.





Comments

No comments posted yet.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.