Vrata valley - Tominskova pot trail - Kredarica hut

Vrata valley - Tominskova pot trail - Kredarica hut

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.35735°N / 13.44761°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Average/easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tominskova pot, built by a Slovenian mountaineering society in 1903. as a responce to German Cez Prag trail. It cuts through Julian Alps, leading thowards well known Kredarica hut (2515m), a starting point thowards the summit of Triglav (2864m).
Summer is the most popular time for ascending towards Kredarica hut via Tominskova pot. Spring, Fall and winter ascents are only for experienced mountaineers.

Getting There

Starting point for this route is usually from Vrata valley; one can get there by car (in winter, chains for tires and other winter equipment is essential - the road is very steep and slippery), although walking is suggested due to a large number of vehicles, specially during the summer. There are several mountaineering objects, I would recommend staying at Aljazev dom hut (arround 1050m/a). One night stands for around 10 Euro. Hot meals stand arround 5E.

Route Difficulty

Difficulty of this trail, from my point of view, is around average to easy (it took eight hours for me to reach Kredarica hut; easy tempo, lots of resting). But, one should be careful when taking this to note. For example, an experienced Slovenian fellow mountaineer told me that this year was maybe one of the most severe ones in his climbing history. The mountain is taking lives if one does not adjust to its law; if you try to defy the mountain, it will take it´s toll, be assured. Just one week before my ascent, an Israeli traveler tried to reach the Kredarica hut and failed on a snowy couloir. He had summer shoes and no essential gear and slipped to his death many meters below. May he rest in peace.
However, one should not be discouraged by what has been said. It is the way of the mountain, a form of communication in which one should listen and learn, and let the older one, experienced, teach.

Trail Description

From Vrata valley, head towards Aljazev dom hut, a very well marked trail begins there and leads to the Monument to Partisans who died during the WWII. Just before the monument, left. The path leads over a white, dry, ex-glacial stream; in the late eighties the glacier disappeared due to melting. Step into the forest and follow the marcation. The road is easy, though steeper and steeper, well secured with wood logs and stairs, everything in harmony with the surrounding nature. As ascending, not far from Aljazev dom hut, i´ve already noticed snowy couloire, and arround 1500 meters of altitude, forest is going from tick to more sparse, one experiences rocky area from smaller sizes to massive Triglav´s Face which will be visible on occasion from the beginning of the ascent. Also around this altitude one encounters firs metal pegs, which have been placed to secure less experienced mountaineers. However on some points, pegs are intentionally left out for the love of the times when this mountain was pure alpine style accessible. At around 1750 meters of altitude there is a saddle, smaller comparable to the surrounding. After one passes it, he will be greeted by more demanding ascent; metal pegs, systems of shelves and cables, and on some occasions pure alpine style climbing is on a demand. Number of couloire are set before your feet, snow is gathered during the cold season and rocky scree during warmer period. At arround 2000 meters of altitude, you reach a plateau from which the path is less steep and more snowy (my ascent was taken in late spring, june). Number of peaks are visible from this point, and the path leads thowards south-west. One more metal pegged rock awaits you at the end of that section, and the Kredarica hut roof starts to show itself suddenly as you reach its end. Take note on a demanding couloire crossing; it is slippery, especially during the afternoon hours. Best time to reach this part is in the early morning (especially during descending via this trail) because the snow is harder and the dangers of avalanche are smaller.

Essential Gear

During the warmer season (summer), one should take basic equipment, but take note that nights can be very cold on high altitudes. Rest of the time, essential equipment ranges from minimum to full, including ice axes, crampons, snowshoes, ropes and hardware (if caught in a storm, standing on a rock and with some thousand meters of vaste under your feet). I was carrying a full 80l rucksack only because i had to carry food for 5 day stay on Julian alps, considering the lack of funds, so it is suggested to take one with less capacity and then take notice on food in mountain huts.
Heavy shoes are needed, in colder season essential.