Welcome to SP!  -
Walking in the Surroundings: but a little farther /1
Article
Contribute 
 

Walking in the Surroundings: but a little farther /1

 
Walking in the Surroundings: but a little farther /1

Page Type: Article

Object Title: Walking in the Surroundings: but a little farther /1

Activities: Hiking

 

Page By: OsvaldoCardellina

Created/Edited: Apr 18, 2015 / Jun 11, 2015

Object ID: 936209

Hits: 1258 

Page Score: 78.27%  - 9 Votes 

Vote: Log in to vote

 

Southern Surroundings Overview



Reading this two Articles is suitable for Kids, Boys up to the Seniors want to take a beautiful Walk or an easy Hike in the entire and complete Aosta Valley.
In these articles, in which we present here the first inversion Area South than in the course of Dora Baltea Basin, is to propose a thirty Walking or easy Excursions to be made possible for anyone, from children to the elderly provided they have a good will and um minimum of training and decent physical condition. With this proposal, you will come to know almost all the territory of the Valley of Aosta, at least in its main valleys with their particular features. We have, for convenience but also for logical subdivision geographical and topographical, divided in turn each of the two sectors into three parts: the "Low", "Media" and the "High" Valley, meaning that everything is in Southeast, in the Middle or to the West of Aosta City, in the center of the whole "system". This, incidentally, is also the division adopted on site for a long time and now become traditional.



"Towards Miserin Lake", by emilius


La lettura di questi Articoli é adatta per Bambini, Ragazzi ed Anziani che voglion fare una bella Passeggiata od una facile Escursione sull'intera Val d'Aosta.
In questi due articoli, nei quali qui presentiamo il primo rivolto all'Area Meridionale rispetto al corso idrografico della Dora Baltea, si vuole proporre una trentina di Passeggiate o facili Escursioni possibili da effettuare per chiunque, dai bambini alle persone anziane purché muniti di buona volontà e di un minimo di allenamento e discreta condizione fisica. Con questa proposta potrete venire a conoscenza di quasi tutto il territorio della Valle di Aosta, almeno nelle sue principali vallate con le loro peculiarietà. Abbiamo, per comodità ma anche per logica suddivisione geografica e topografica, diviso a sua volta ognuno dei due settori in tre parti: la "Bassa", "Media" e l'"Alta" Valle, intendendo per questo tutto quello che si trova a Sudest, nel Mezzo od ad Occidente della Città di Aosta, posta al centro di tutto il "sistema". Questa, daltronde, é anche la divisione adottata in loco.




"Loé's Alp to South", by maria grazia s


Give you some suggestions and directions for all ten valleys and the two basins (Aosta and Arpy) taken into account with respect to the Southern sector; of each one of them offer from one to a maximum of two basic routes. The same must have these three basic requirements:
a)-
to be simple and easy practicability and present no danger objective;
b)- represent the essential characteristics of the valley, such that it can make known in almost all its aspects;
c)- have great possibilities panoramic same and all the surroundings and, if possible, even in the distance.
Note: travel times have been specially "extended" by about 15/20%, just in anticipation of the type of Hikers at which the work is addressed.
This is a simple base track, but then everyone can vary at will, perhaps along one part of the route of the base and then conclude in a different way; or vice versa by first different choices and then return to the starting point via the same. Again, doing a completely different via: no one forbids it and leave totally free the imagination of Hikers to undertake new solutions, perhaps related to some thing with interest previously targeted. So only some advice, the result of many "treks" during various years.

CURT XI° Do not you feel that the Time Go?
Petit Avert, Lavodilec Loch & Hill
Punta Rossa della Grivola
CURT ... VIII From Leppe s Point to Laures Lochs 1973
<B><FONT COLOR=BLUE>EMILIUS s Second Mountain Ascent</font> From <font color=purple>Gimillan</font> to <font color=purple>Laures s Pass</font> (3036m)</font> 1992</b>


Diamo qualche suggerimento ed indicazione per tutte e dieci le vallate ed i due bacini (Aosta ed Arpy) presi in considerazione riguardo al settore Meridionale; di ognuna di essa proponiamo da uno ad un massimo di due itinerari di base. Gli stessi devono possedere questi tre requisiti fondamentali:
a)-
essere di semplice, nonché facile percorribilità e non presentare pericoli oggettivi;
b)- rappresentare le caratteristiche essenziali della valle, tali da poterla fare conoscere in quasi tutti i suoi aspetti;
c)- possedere grandi possibilità panoramiche sulla medesima e su tutti i dintorni e, se possibile, pure in lontananza.
Nota: i tempi di percorrenza sono stati appositamente "allargati" di circa il 15/20%, proprio in previsione della tipologia di Escursionisti alla quale il lavoro é indirizzato.
Questa risulta una semplice traccia di base, ma poi ognuno può variare a proprio piacere magari percorrendo una sola parte dell'itinerario di base e poi concludere in modo diverso; oppure viceversa facendo dapprima scelte diverse per poi rientrare al punto di partenza tramite il medesimo. Ed ancora, facendo tutta un'altra strada: nessuno lo vieta e lascia totalmente libera la fantasia dell'Escursionista nell'intrapprendere nuove soluzioni, magari legate ad un qualche cosa con interesse già precedentemente mirato. Quindi l'obiettivo risulta quello di dare soltanto qualche piccolo consiglio, frutto dell'esperienza acquisita in molte "scarpinate" effettuate innumerevolmente in vari anni di attività.




"Arollay Cross to Gran Paradiso", by Antonio


The search for these routes, in addition to the three basic requirements set out above (ease and simplicity of path, peculiarities of the valley, panoramic views), is addressed, as in previous articles published in this issue, even at an observation on how much of the historical, cultural, religious and local traditions in relation to the trip can offer. Are small annotations inserted at random and from time to time which are not, not having this claim, anything organic and much less than exhaustive. Small hints that can enrich the trip without limiting itself to simple walk. So many times we pass some small "treasure artistic, cultural, religious" or simple human artifact agricultural or civil without noticing it, then maybe discovering a posteriori in reading a book or a text that we were there before we passed. "Aveugles" almost blind without seeing ...




"... The last Paradise ...", by Antonio


La ricerca di questi itinerari, oltre ai tre requisiti fondamentali sovra esposti, viene indirizzata, come già effettuato nei precedenti articoli pubblicati con questa tematica, anche ad una osservazione su quanto di storico, culturale, religioso ed in rapporto alle tradizioni locali la gita possa offrire. Sono piccole annotazioni inserite a caso e di volta in volta che non costituiscono, non avendo questa pretesa, nulla di organico e tanto di meno di esaustivo. Piccoli accenni che possono arricchire la gita senza limitare la stessa a semplice camminata. Tante volte passiamo davanti a qualche piccolo "tesoro artistico, culturale, religioso" o semplice manufatto umano agricolo o civile senza che ce ne accorgiamo, magari scoprendo poi a posteriori nella lettura d'un libro o d'un testo che lì davanti eravamo transitati pur noi. "Aveugles", quasi ciechi senza nulla vedere ...




"Verney Loch at Little St. Bernard", by SalVal

The "Low" Valley (Champorcher & Champdepraz)

Getting There

By car:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT) also Pont Saint Martin, Verrès, Chatillon, AOSTA East (Nus) and West (Aymavilles) Municipalities (AOSTA Valley).

    From IVREA Town to Hône-Bard, Pont Bozet, Champorcher, Aymavilles, Villeneuve.

    From Hône-Bard to Champorcher Valley
    From Pont Bozet (775m) to Champorcher Valley: Camporcher-Château (1427m), Petit, Grand Mont Blanc, La Cort Villages, to Dondena Village (2092m), Dondena & Miserin Refuges, through Royal Road & secondary dirt roads; Barbustel Refuge, through Royal Road, path towards Champdepraz Walloon.




    "From here the Valley royally domains ... / Da qui regalmente domini la Valle ..."


    It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on State Road n° 26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.


By plane:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta)


Champorcher Valley


Basic Itinerary n° 1:
Champorcher-Château (1427m) with road asphalt to la Cort; then with trail n° 10C towards Muffé Lake (2079m) and from there to Lago Bianco Hill (2308m), just above the Barbustel Refuge (2209m), now in the Champdepraz Valley (E/F; 1h'30 from the parking lot to the entrance in the Regional Park of Monte Avic).

Itinerary Base n° 2: always from Champorcher-Château road with asphalt until la Cort little Hamlet; from this to the parking lot (1800 metres around) at the entrance in the Monte Avìc Regional Park. Leaving to the North in the route before, continue to the West on Royal Road to Dondena, farm not always traveled by car, to reach this ancient village (2097m); crossed the Torrent Ayasse over a small stonebridge, reach the private dirt road concomitant with the trail n° 7B/7C/Alta Via 2 near the Rifugio Dondena (+; 2193m). Continue with the same to the West or with the shortcut n° 7/Alta Via 4, behind the shelter and under the Mont de Dondena (2543m), reach Lake Miserin, near the with the same name Sanctuary "Notre Dame de La Neige" and Refuge (2577m, 2588m9, located on Southern shore; E/F; 1h'30; 1h'15 with trail-shortcut).

1)- In Bard Common famous Fortress Austro-Piedmontese who stopped the advance of the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte from 19 May to 01 June 1800. In 1831 there fù segregated Count Camillo Benso di Cavour, guilty of patriotic ideas and too liberal. That has recently been restored and turned to great art exhibitions and cultural.
2)- Château, at the Town Hall, Square Tower rest of an old Castle in 1100 destroyed in 1212, retaliation armed by Guglielmo Pont St. Martin against the heirs and the brothers.


Valle di Champorcher


Itinerario di Base n° 1:
da Champorcher-Château (1427 m) con strada in asfalto fino a la Cort; quindi con sentiero n° 10C al Lago Muffé (2079 m) e da questo al Colle del Lago Bianco (2308 m), appena al di sopra del Rifugio Barbustel (2209 m) ormai nel Vallone di Champdepraz (E/F; 1h'30 dall'ingresso nel Parco Regionale del Monte Avic).

Itinerario di Base n° 2: sempre da Champorcher-Château con strada in asfalto fino al piccolo Villaggio di la Cort; da questa fino al parcheggio (1800 metri circa) all'entrata nel Parco. Lasciando a Settentrione la via precedente, continuare verso Ovest sulla Strada Reale per Dondena, poderale non sempre percorribile in auto, fino a raggiungere questo antico Villaggio (2097 m); attraversato il Torrent Ayasse su di un piccolo ponte, raggiungere con la poderale concomitante con il sentiero n° 7B/7C/Alta Via 2 il vicino Rifugio di Dondena (+; 2193m). Continuare con la medesima verso Ovest oppure con la scorciatoia n° 7/Alta Via 4, dietro il rifugio e sotto il Mont de Dondena (2543 m), raggiungere il Lago Miserin, con vicino omonimo Santuario "Notre Dame de La Neige" e Rifugio (2577 m, 2588 m); E/F; 1h'30; 1h'15 con il sentiero-scorciatoia).


1)- A Bard famosa Fortezza austro-piemontese che fermò l'avanzata delle truppe di Napoleone Bonaparte dal 19 Maggio fino al 01 di Giugno del 1800. Nel 1831 vi fù segregato Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour, reo di idee patriottiche nonché troppo liberali. Recentemente é stato restaurato e destinato a grandi esposizioni artistiche nonché culturali.
2)- A Château, al Comune, Torre quadrata resto d'un antico Castello del 1100 distrutto nel 1212, per ritorsione di Guglielmo di Pont St. Martin nei confronti d'eredi e fratelli.


Champdepraz Valley


Itinerary Basic n° 3:
after the Municipality of Hône (364m), alongside that of Bard with its Fortress, you can reach those of Arnad and Verres (391m), whence, spread across the Baltea, is reached after 2 Km. from the junction to Champdepraz (523m) at the mouth of the homonymous Walloon, also known as the Lakes. reached, again via road asphalt, the last Fraction Voella or also called Chevrère (1307m) is again in the Natural Park of Monte Avìc, but this time on the opposite side or Northern. Parked in a large square climb the trail n° 5B to Lake of the Serva (1801m) at the foot of Bec L'Espic, and then through the n° 5C that, heading more towards Southeast, reaches the Alps Bayet and Cousse and then the Refuge Barbustel located on a rocky-grassy promontory immediately above the Lago Bianco(E/F; 3h'00/3h'30 from Voella or Chevrère).

3)- Around year 1000 these lands were owned by the Lordship of Montjovet or Mount of Jupiter and were known as the "Rivière de Montjovet". On the death of Faydino Mongiove in 1295, the Feud became property of the Lords of Challant (originating by Val d'Ayas), but gradually the foundations were laid for the Autonomous Municipality, that took place since 1586. The Ancient Regime, controlled by the Church, was gradually absorbed by the Duchy Aosta with its Laws Economic and Civil; the Royal Edict of 1762 and "Royales Constitutions" of 1770 came unto Supplementary Regulations for the Aosta Valley of 1773. This led to the complete liberation of the assets, as well as the complete abolition of the Authority Feudal throughout, leaving consequently all the duties of maintaining the same to the various Communities of the Duchy since October 1th, 1783.
4)- Mines in pyrite and chalcopyrite near Crestaz and Hérin Villages while at Lake Gelato were located the iron mines, now closed from a fifty years, at the foot of Mount Iverta.
5)- The Natural Park of Mont Avic was established by the Autonomous Region of Aosta Valley in October 19th, 1989; Since 2003 it has expanded over the border in the Valley Champdepraz coming to the area adjacent Dondena Champorcher Valley. The same, full of Fauna and Flora (mountain hamate pine), home to more than thirty lakes.


Valle di Champdepraz


Itinerario di Base n° 3: dopo il Comune di Hône (364 m), a fianco di quello di Bard con la sua Fortezza, si raggiungono quelli di Arnad e Verrès (391 m), donde, attaversata la Dora Baltea, si raggiunge dopo 2 Km. dal bivio quello di Champdepraz (523 m) allo imbocco dell'omonimo Vallone, detto anche dei Laghi. raggiunta, sempre tramite strada in asfalto, l'ultima Frazione di Voella o detta anche di Chevrère (1307 m) si é nuovamente nel Parco Naturale del Monte Avic, ma questa volta dalla parte opposta o Settentrionale. Parcheggiato in un ampio piazzale si sale con il sentiero n° 5B fino al Lago della Serva (1801 m), ai piedi del Bec L'Espic, e poi tramite il n° 5C che, dirigendosi più verso Sudest, raggiunge le Alpi Bayet e Cousse e poi il Rifugio Barbustel sito su d'un promontorio roccioso-erboso appena al di sopra del Lago Bianco (E/F; 3h'00/3h'30 da Voella).


3)- verso l'anno 1000 Champdepraz era di proprietà della Signoria di Montjovet o Monte di Giove ed era conosciuta come la "Rivière de Montjovet". Alla morte di Faydino di Mongiove nel 1295, il Feudo divenne proprietà dei Signori di Challant (Val d'Ayas), ma a poco a poco vennero gettate le basi per il Comune Autonomo, fatto verificatosi nel 1586. "L'Ancient Régime", comandato dalla Chiesa, progressivamente venne assorbito dal Ducato d'Aosta con le sue Leggi Economiche e Civili; l'Editto Reale del 1762 e le "Constitutions Royales" del 1770 s'accostarono a Regolamento particolare per la Valle del 1773. Ciò condusse all'affrancamento dei patrimoni, nonché all'abolizione completa dell'Autorità Feudale sul territorio, demandando di conseguenza tutti i doveri di mantenimento del medesimo alle varie Comunità del Ducato a partire dal primo d'Ottobre 1783.
4)- Miniere di pirite e calcopirite a Crestaz ed ad Hérin, mentre presso il Lago Gelato erano situate li miniere del ferro, ormai chiuse da una cinquantina d'anni, ai piedi dell'Iverta.
5)- Il Parco Naturale del Monte Avìc è stato istituito dalla Regione Autonoma Valle di Aosta il 19 ottobre 1989; dal 2003 la medesima ha ampliato in confine oltre la Valle di Champdepraz arrivando alla zona di Dondena nell'adiacente Vallata di Champorcher. Lo stesso, ricco di Fauna ed in Flora (pino uncinato), ospita più di una trentina di laghi.


Lago Bianco e Lago Cornuto,...
Barbustel Shelter in Lochs s Walloon
Arriving in small parking above Dondena Village 2004
Bec Raty return towards Latuiri Alpage
Moussaillon Tower

The "Middle" Valley (Fénis St. Marcel Aosta Cogne & Valsavara))

Getting There

By car:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT) also Pont Saint Martin, Verrès, Chatillon, AOSTA East (Nus) and West (Aymavilles) Municipalities (AOSTA Valley).

    From IVREA Town to Hône-Bard, Pont Bozet, Champorcher, Aymavilles, Villeneuve.

    From Aymavilles to Cogne and from Villeneuve to Valsavarenche Valleys
    From Aymavilles (646m) towards Cogne Valley with Regional Main Road: Vieyes (1132m) Fraction, Mario Gontier private Shelter, through small path in Nomenon Walloon. Continue to Silvenoire, Epinel & Crétaz Hamlets, Cogne (1534m) Resort, through Main Road. To Valnontey (1678m), through Municipal Road: to Money, Alessandro Martinotti, Stefano Borghi, Carlo Pol, Marcello Gerard & Ettore Grappein, Lionello & Lucio Leonessa, Mario Balzola, Luciano Gratton (this last from Epinel or Crétaz) Bivouacs, through paths, moraines and glacier, & Vittorio Sella Refuge, through muletrack). From Lillaz Fraction (1607m) to Sogno di Berdzé, Denis Gérard & Guido Antoldi & Laura Malvezzi Refuges, by dirt road, muletrack or paths in Urtier and Valeille Walloon. To Gimillan Village (1785m), Franco Nebbia Bivouac, with path in Upper Arpisson Walloon. All the three last through Regional Roads from Cogne.
    From Villeneuve (670m) to Savarenche Valley, Dégioz-Valsavarenche (1541m) up to the Pont Valsavarenche (1946m). From this or neighbor to Federico & Renato Chabod, below North Buttress of Gran Paradiso; Vittorio Emanuele II° (Old & New). Albergo Savoia & Città di Chivasso Refuges at the end of Nivolé, through muletracks and Renzo & Sebastiano Sberna Bivouac, through path, moraines of Montandayné Glacier and below the Herbetet.




    "From here the City royally domains ... / Da qui regalmente domini la Città ..."


    It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on State Road n° 26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.


By plane:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta)


Fénis Valley


Basic Itinerary n° 4: from Fénis-Barche (607m) through the path n° 2/7/102 towards the Lavòdilèc Loch (2357m; E/F; 4h'00/4h'30 da Lovignana). This excursion is done by the Village of Lovignana (1169m; no entry for unauthorized means) and, following the main Clavalitè through the Pastures of Robbio, Maisonnasse, Bioley Damon, Crin, Beneyte and Meney, reaches Grand-Alpe (+; 2120m), where the path, doubling as n° 7/102, reaches the lake. Possibility of achieving the same name Hill (2863m; EE/F; 1h'45 from the lake). Long hike that leads to two-thirds of the below valley, where it splits sending a branch in Southeast into the Savoney Walloon and the other to the South towards the High Comba Tersiva the foot of Punta Tersiva (3515m). Already from Lake you see all the Top of the Valley of St. Marcel, excluding the two Towers of Tessonet.

6)- A Fènis splendid Castle, originally built in 1330/40 by Aimone of Challant as Fortress to control the "Iron Road" between Aosta and Champorcher Valley; the same, of trapezoidal shape and surrounded by a circle of double walls with walkways, small battlements and slot for war, has cylindrical towers alternating square. Inhabited by Challant until 1716, has in it a number of its frescoes of the patrician families of the time, while in the inner courtyard we find others of painter Giacomo Jaquerio (1375-1453). Sold, to meet the debts of his father, in 1716 by Count Francesco Giorgio to the farmers and inhabited by the people for over 80 years, was saved from complete ruin by the Architect Alfredo by Andrade in 1895; the same, after the restoration, he gave it as a gift to the Italian State. Currently (1936) is home to the "Museum of Furniture Valdostano".

Valle di Fénis


Itinerario di Base n° 4: da Fénis-Barche (607 m) con il sentiero n° 2/7/102 fino al Lago di Lavòdilèc (2357 m; E/F; 4h'00/4h'30 da Lovignana). Quest'escursione viene compiuta dal Villaggio di Lovignana (1169 m; divieto di transito per i mezzi non autorizzati) e, percorrendo tutta la Clavalitè attraverso gli Alpeggi di Robbio, Maisonnasse, Bioley Damon, Crin, Beneyte e Meney, raggiunge Grand-Alpe (+; 2120 m), dove il sentiero, sdoppiandosi come n° 7/102, raggiunge il lago. Possibilità di raggiungere l'omonimo Colle (2863 m; EE/F; 1h'45 dal lago). Lunga escursione permettente di raggiungere i due terzi della valle, là dov'essa si sdoppia inviando un ramo a Sudest verso il Vallone di Savoney e l'altro a Sud verso l'Alta Comba Tersiva ai piedi della Punta Tersiva (3515 m). Già dal Lago si vedono tutte le Sommità della Valle di St. Marcel, Torri Tessonet escluse.

6)- A Fènis splendido Castello, originariamente eretto nel 1330/40 da Aimone di Challant siccome Fortezza per controllare la "Strada del Ferro" tra Aosta e Champorcher; lo stesso, di pianta trapezoidale e circondato da una cerchia di mura doppie con camminamenti, merletti e feritoie, possiede torri cilindriche alternate a quelle quadrate. Abitato dai Challant fino al 1716, presenta nel suo interno una serie d'affreschi propri delle famiglie patrizie dell'epoca, mentre nel cortile interno ne troviamo altri di Giacomo Jaquerio (1375-1453). Ceduto, per sanare i debiti del padre, nel 1716 dal Conte Giorgio Francesco ai contadini ed abitato dal popolo per oltre 80 anni, fu salvato dalla completa rovina dall'Architetto Alfredo d'Andrade nel 1895; lo stesso, dopo restauro, lo donò allo Stato italiano. Attualmente (dal 1936) ospita il "Museo dell'Arredamento Valdostano".

Saint Marcel Valley


Basic Itinerary n° 5: from Saint Marcel (630m) with the path n° 3/4 towards Grande Chaux Hounting House (2439m; fountain in front; E/F; 2h'30/3h'00 da Les Druges Picnic Area). From the parking area continue after the first West then South with the private dirt road rounding the Mont Roux with the Mines of Chuc-Servette (1810/1720m); leaving at the top right of the Alp Praborna with manganese mines, you reach the House Hunting Mulàc-St. Louis (1937m; fountain with ibex wood). Also on the valley floor, passing through the Pastures of Plan Rué, Emonin Dessous and Dessus, Layet and namesake lake (2227m), is reached, after leaving in Southeast deviation for Petite Chaux Alp, that of Grande Chaux, starting point for the Hills Terre Bleue, Tessonet, Coronas or St. Marcel (2913m), Vallonet and Leppe (3108/10m) that open like a halo around it.

7)- St. Marcel Castle built in 1600 by James of Challant Aymavilles branch, after the inheritance of the assets of Ussel of Ibleto il Giovane (the Younger); the last owner, Baron Paul Emanuel of Châtillon put on sale in favor of the Barons Bianco of San Secondo in Piedmont. The latter, in order to avoid the costs of restoration, sold it cheaply to the "Company Explorer of Mines", which left him in progressive ruin becoming the "House of the Widows" of Challant. On the opposite side of the state Road in the Municipality of Nus exists an ancient castle of the X° Century; the Lords of Nus rebuilt it the ancient ruins in 1595, while the frescoes are of 1680. Also in Nus Castle said "Pilate", rebuilt in the thirteenth century and then destroyed by a fire, tells of a tradition that hosted here by Roman Patrician the that most infamous Consul Pontius Pilate.

Valle di Saint Marcel


Itinerario di Base n° 5: da Saint Marcel (630 m) con il sentiero n° 3/4 fino alla Casa di Caccia di Grande Chaux (2439 m; fontana antistante; E/F; 2h'30/3h'00 da Les Druges Area Picnic). Dal parcheggio dopo l'area continuare dapprima ad Ovest poi a Sud con la poderale doppiando il Mont Roux con le Miniere di Chuc-Servette; lasciando in alto a destra l'Alpe di Praborna con le miniere di manganese, si raggiunge la Casa di Caccia di Mulàc-St. Louis (1937 m; fontana con stambecco in legno). Sempre sul fondovalle, passando per gli Alpeggi di Plan Ruè, Emonin Dessous e Dessus, Layet ed omonimo Lago, si raggiunge, dopo avere lasciato a Sudest la deviazione per Pt. Chaux, quella di Gr. Chaux, punto di partenza per i Colli di Terre Bleue, Tessonet, Coronas o di St. Marcel (2913 m), Vallonet e di Leppe (3108/10 m) aprentisi a guisa di raggiera tutto dattorno.

7)- a St. Marcel Castello del 1600 costruito da Giacomo di Challant, ramo d'Aymavilles, dopo l'eredità dei beni di Ussel di Ibleto il Giovane; l' ultimo proprietario il Barone Paolo Emanuele di Châtillon lo mise in vendita a favore dei Baroni Bianco di San Secondo in Piemonte. Questi, onde evitar spese di restauro, lo cedettero a poco prezzo alla "Società Esploratrice delle Miniere", che l'abbandonò in progressiva rovina diventando la "Dimora delle Vedove" dei Challant. Sul lato opposto della Strada Statale nel Comune di Nus esiste un antico Castello del X° Secolo; i Signori di Nus lo ricostruirono sulle rovine nel 1595, mentre gli affreschi son del 1680. Sempre a Nus quello detto di "Pilato", ricostruito nel XIII° Secolo e poi distrutto da incendio, racconta d'una tradizione che vuol qui ospitato da un Patrizio Romano il ben tristemente famoso Console Ponzio Pilato.

Aosta Basin


Note:
With regard to the City of Aosta and surroundings has seen fit to give you only two views diametrically opposed, or from the North and from the South relative to the position of the City. In fact, in the work we have done up to here already widely spoken in this area that serves as a hinge. Also for what concerns the historical and cultural news is it limited the "digression" because for the same, which bears the date of construction by the Romans 25 BC, the same is not enough to list a whole book.

Basic Itinerary n° 6: from Aosta (583m) through the trail n° 6 or from the alternative immediately before the Senin Village (791m) and again from Porossan Fraction (771m) , further West, always through the variant of trail n° 6 up to the Quote Baden Powell (792m; T; 0h'30/1h'15 second the various departures).

Basic Itinerary n° 7: from Charvensod-Reverier Dessous (746m, 1042m) n° 14/2A towards the Rongachet Bridge up the Torrent de Comboé and nearby homonim Village (1100m; T; from 0h'40 to 2h'15 second departures on Regional Road towards Le Pointer, Les Gorres-St. Salò Villages or by the valley floor or Roulaz, Felina and Pont-Suaz).

8)- Walled Roman: began a rough construction in 41 BC as a legacy of "Castrum" by the Roman Consul Aulo Terenzio Varro Murena to what was the "Rome of the Alps", on the road from Eporedia (Ivrea) led to the "Alpis Graja" (Little St. Bernard). The walls with square towers with two floors and four input ports, which still exists today in fairly good condition, dated 23/25 BC On the alignment of the axis South/North, the "Cardo Maximus" leading to "Summus Poenninus" (Great St. Bernard). The "Porta Praetoria" or Eastern, opposite to the "Decumana", formed by three inputs (one large and two smaller side). At that South bronze statues of Julius Caesar and Augustus, and monument to King Umberto I ° at the "Tour Pailleron"; nearby Public Gardens statues of Italy's King Vittorio Emanuele II° in costume as hunter of ibexes and to Doctor Laurent Cerise.
9)- Augustus Arch: built in 24/25 BC has an arch 8.89 metres wide and is 11.50 metres high, celebrates the Varro victory on the People's local Salassi, founders in 1158 with their Cape Cordelus. C. the ancient Bourg of Cordelia also Cordella. Under the arch wooden Crucifix of 1449 called the "Saint-Voult or Saint-Voeu" (Holy Face or Holy Vow).
10)- Roman Theatre and Amphiteater: building with four floors high 22 metres for 4.000 spectators, still existing and recently completely restored; it seems that the primitive theater had already been partially dismantled by the Romans to build an imperial house. The second, finished in 729 AD, was elliptical (axes of 86.41 and 76.86 metres, arena of 60x47 metres) for 20.000 spectators with Doric columns with capitals in gray marble Aymavilles and 60 arches, of which now there are only a few. In the Middle Ages it was known as "Palatium rotundum". There are also the remains of a "Forum" of 11 BC, two temples of uncertain date and an "Emporium" (barn) long 30x10 metres.
11)- Roman Bridge: besides the various aqueducts along the Buthier (Balteus for the Romans), still remains an arch of the four existing Roman Bridge over the same; the continuous flooding meant that the stream is of course is shifted more towards the West, where there is the current bridge closer to the Arch, probably then reached.
12)- Medieval Towers and Churchs: after the passage of the Goths in 410 AD, between the end of the IV° and the beginning of the fifth Century the Town and the Valley began to be evangelized; also suffered the domination of the Lombards and Franks, became part of the Kingdom of Burgundy, while in the XI° Century passed to Umberto Biancamano with the title of Count. In 1302 he became a Duchy of Savoy, but the real masters were the various Bishops and the powerful Families Feudal Lords of Prez, Bard, and Valeise Challants. In this huge amount of time were built towers and castles a little everywhere and in Aosta and surroundings we find the imposing cylindrical "Bramafam Tower" with its castle of the XII° Century, inhabited by the Counts of Challant, the "Tower of Bailiffs or Tower by the Lords Palatio", always the same century, which, after an addition of 1537, became the first Court of Justice and then from 1702 prison until thirty years ago, before the recent restructuring. Still, the famous "Leper's Tower", the Roman square tower was rebuilt in the twelfth century, which locked up for 30 years, the leper Bernardo Guasco with his sister Maria Lucia; the Historician Romantic Xavier de Maistre told the pathetic story in a famous novel. Also near the "Castle of St. Christophe" with square tower of the XII° Century, currently owned by the Counts Passerin Entrèves, the "Brissogne Castle", built in the thirteenth Century by Henry of Quart, while in the neighboring Municipality Sarre we find in the sacristy of the same century frescoes. At the same Bell Tower of the XI° Century, while in one of the locations Chesalet of XII°. Also in respect of religious antiquities quickly point out the "Cathedral" of Aosta the XI Century (but recent archaeological excavations prove existence of an antecedent) with two Romanesque Bell towers and statues of Sant'Ansemo (then Archbishop of Canterbury where is buried), San Giocondo, St. John the Baptist, Immaculate and St. Orso; the current form with three naves dates from between the fifteenth and sixteenth Centuries. Also stained glass windows of the XV° and XVI° Centuries and a wooden crucifix of '300, the oldest of the entire Valley of Aosta. Floor mosaics of the twelfth with "Four Rivers of Paradise" and in the top of the thirteenth "Tigris and Euphrates"; yet the internal splendid Gothic Choir of 1469 with thirty stalls and the tomb of Thomas II° of Savoy to end '300. The Crypt, with capitals Longobardi and Carolingian, is the ninth Century, the Cloister of the fifteenth century and the "Sacristy Treasury" we find an image of the Emperor Honorius with the inscription 406. From Central Square with the Town Hall with neoclassical form of 1839 and going out of the Praetorian Gate to the East in the direction of the Arch of Augustus, we find the Village of Sant'Orso with its namesake and Medieval Church, built over the primitive Cathedral of Aosta; its huge, square stone Bell tower (obtained from the perimeter walls) with Romanesque style, 46 meters high, is of the 1131. Opposite is the "Collegiate of Sant'Orso" with the facade of '400 and the Gothic portal, the whole contained in a pre-Romanesque Bell tower; here there was the small Church of St. Peter, where Sainct Orso performed the Mass; major repairs were carried out with the crypt and paintings attic with the renowned St. Anselm (1033-1109) Bishop. Between 1468 and 1509 the Prior Giorgio di Challant enriched the Church, three naves with chancel and apse with paintings of the '400, with Choir of carved wood, the work of Jeninus Braye. Crucifix and altar are of the '700, while the silver statue with the relics of Saint Orso is of 1359. Next to it is a "Cloister" rectangular with scenes of 1133 the Old and New Testament; also "Priory of St. Orso", built by George of Challant between 1494 and 1506. Another very ancient Church that of "Santo Stefano or Saint Etien", North of Center to the Gr. St. Bernard.




"Monte Emilius (3559m) above Aosta City", by Antonio


Bacino di Aosta


Nota:
Per quanto concerne la Città di Aosta e dintorni s'é pensato bene di dar esclusivamente due punti di vista diametralmente opposti, cioé dal Nord e dal Sud; infatti nei lavori sin qui eseguiti abbiamo di già largamente parlato di questo settore fungente da cardine. Anche per quello che riguarda le notizie storico-culturali si é limitato l'"excursus" poiché per la medesima, che porta la data di costruzione da parte dei Romani del 25 avanti Cristo, per elencarne le stesse non sarebbe stato sufficiente un intero libro.

Itinerario di Base n° 6: da Aosta (583 m, 791 m) con il sentiero n° 6, oppure dal bivio subito prima della Frazione di Senin (791 m) ed ancora da quella di Porossan (771 m), più ad Ovest, sempre con una variante del sentiero n° 6 fino alla Quota Baden Powell (792 m; T; 0h'30/1h'15 a seconda dai vari punti di partenza).


Itinerario di Base n° 7: da Charvensod-Reverier Dessous (746m, 1042m) col sentiero n° 14/2A fino al Ponte di Rongachet sul Torrent Comboé ed al vicino omonimo Villaggio (1100 m; T; da 0h'40 fino a 2h'15 a seconda delle partenze sulla Strada Regionale per Pointer, Gorres-St. Salò o dal fondovalle cioé Roulaz, Felina e Pont-Suaz).

8)- Cinta di Mura Romane: iniziata un'approssimativa costruzione nel 41 a.C. come eredità del "Castrum" Romano da parte del Console Aulo Terenzio Varrone Murena per quella ch'era la "Roma delle Alpi", sulla via che da Eporedia (Ivrea) conduceva alla "Alpis Graja" (Piccolo San Bernardo). La cinta muraria con torri quadrate a due piani e quattro porte d'ingresso, ancora oggi esistente in discreto stato, porta la data del 23/25 a.C. Sull'allineamento dell'asse Sud/Nord, il "Cardo Maximus" conduceva al "Summus Poenninus" (Gran San Bernardo). La "Porta Praetoria" o Est, opposta alla "Decumana", formata da tre ingressi. A quella Sud statue in bronzo di Giulio Cesare e di Augusto, nonché monumento a Re Umberto I° presso la "Tour Pailleron"; nei vicini Giardini pubblici statue del Re Vittorio Emanuele II° in costume da caccia e del Dottor Laurent Cerise.
9)- Arco di Augusto: eretto nel 24/25 a.C ha un'arcata 8,89 metri ed é alto 11,50 metri, celebra la vittoria di Terenzio Varrone sul Popolo locale dei Salassi, fondatori con il loro Capo Cordelus nel 1158 a. C. dell'antica Città di Cordelia o Cordella. Sotto l'arco Crocefisso in legno del 1449 detto il "Saint-Voult o Saint-Voeu" (Santo Volto o Santo Voto).
10)- Teatro ed Anfiteatro Romano: la prima delle due costruzion con quattro piani nonché alta 22 metri ospitante fino a 4.000 spettatori, ancora esistente e di recente completamente restaurata; la seconda, terminata nel 729 d.C, era di forma ellittica (assi di 86.41 e 76.86 metri con arena d'asse maggiore di 60 metri e minore di 47 metri) per 20.000 spettatori con colonne con capitelli Dorici in marmo grigio di Aymavilles e 60 arcate, delle quali ne restan ormai sol alcune. Nel Medio Evo era denominato "Palatium rotundum". Inoltre resti d'un "Forum" del 11 a.C, due templi d'incerta datazione nonché un "Emporium" (granaio romano) lungo 30 metri e con una larghezza di 10.
11)- Ponte Romano: oltre ai vari acquedotti sul Buthier (Balteus pei Romani), rimane ancora un'arcata delle quattro esistenti del Ponte Romano sopra lo stesso; le continue inondazioni han fatto sì che il corso del torrente si sia naturalmente spostato più verso Ovest, ove esiste l'attuale ponte più vicino all'Arco, probabilmente allora raggiunto.
12)- Torri Medioevali e Chiese: dopo il passaggio dei Goti nel 410 d.C., tra la fine del IV° e l'inizio del V° secola la Città e la Valle iniziarono ad essere evangelizzate; subìto anche il dominio di Longobardi e Franchi, divenne parte del Regno di Borgogna, mentre nello XI° Secolo passò a Umberto di Biancamano col titolo di Conte. Nel 1302 diventò un Ducato della Savoia, ma i veri padroni erano i vari Vescovi nonché le potenti Famiglie Feudali dei Signori di Prez, Bard, Valeise e Challant. In questo enorme lasso di tempo furono costruiti torri e castelli un pò dappertutto ed ad Aosta e dintorni troviamo l'imponente e cilindrica "Torre di Bramafam" con il suo castello del XII° Secolo, abitato dai Conti di Challant, la "Torre dei Balivi o Torre dei Signori Palatio", sempre dello stesso secolo, che, dopo un'aggiunta del 1537, diventò prima Corte di Giustizia e poi dal 1702 prigione fino ad una trentina d'anni orsono, prima della recente ristrutturazione. Ancora, la famosa "Torre del Lebbroso", torre quadrata romana, rimaneggiata nel XII° secolo, che rinchiuse per 30 anni il lebbroso Bernardo Guasco con la sorella Maria Lucia; lo Storico Romantico Xavier de Maistre narrò la patetica vicenda in un celebre romanzo. Inoltre nei dintorni il "Castello di St. Christophe" con torre quadrata del XII° Secolo, attualmente di proprietà dei Conti Passerin d'Entrèves, il "Castello di Brissogne", eretto nel XIII° Secolo da Enrico di Quart, mentre nel vicino Comune di Sarre troviamo nell'antica sacrestia affreschi del medesimo secolo. Presso, Campanile dello XI° Secolo, mentre in località Chesalet uno del XII°. Sempre a riguardo delle antichità religiose rapidamente segnaliamo la "Cattedrale" d'Aosta dello XI° Secolo (ma recenti scavi archeologici mostran d'un esistenza antecedente) con due Campanili Romanici e le statue di Sant'Ansemo (poi Arcivescovo a Canterbury ov'é sepolto), San Giocondo, San Giovanni Battista, dell'Immacolata e di Sant'Orso; la forma attuale a tre navate risale tra il Quattrocento ed il Cinquecento. Inoltre vetrate colorate dei Secoli XV° e XVI° ed un Crocefisso in legno del '300, il più antico dell'intera Valle. Mosaici pavimentali del XII° con i "Quattro Fiumi del Paradiso" ed in quello superiore del XIII° il "Tigri e l'Eufrate"; ancora all'interno lo splendido Coro Gotico del 1469 con trenta stalli ed il monumento sepolcrale di Tommaso II° di Savoia di fine '300. La Cripta, con capitelli Longobardi e Carolingi, é del IX° Secolo, il Chiostro del XV° e nella "Sagrestia del Tesoro" troviamo un immagine dell'Imperatore Onorio con l'iscrizione 406. Dalla Piazza Centrale con il Municipio con forma neo-classica del 1839 ed uscendo dalla Porta Praetoria verso Oriente in direzione dell'Arco d'Augusto, arriviamo al Borgo di Sant'Orso con la sua omonima e Medioevale Chiesa, costruita sopra la primitiva Cattedrale d'Aosta; il suo enorme e squadrato Campanile in pietra (ricavata dalle mura) con stile Romanico, alto 46 metri, é del 1131. Di fronte si trova la "Collegiata" con facciata del '400 e portale Gotico, il tutto inserito in un Campanile preromanico; qui esisteva la Chiesetta di San Pietro, dove Sant'Orso effettuava Messa; importanti restauri furono effettuati con la cripta e le pitture sottotetto con Sant'Anselmo (1033-1109) Vescovo. Tra il 1468 ed il 1509 il Priore Giorgio di Challant arricchì la Chiesa, di tre navate con presbiterio ed abside con dipinti del '400, con il Coro di legno intagliato, opera di Jeninus Braye. Crocefisso ed altare sono del '700, mentre la statua in argento con le reliquie di Sant'Orso é del 1359. A fianco alla medesima trovasi un "Chiostro" rettangolare del 1133 con scene dell'Antico e del Nuovo Testamento; inoltre "Priorato di Sant'Orso", fatto costruire da Giorgio di Challant tra il 1494 ed il 1506. Chiesa antichissima quella di "Saint Etien o Santo Stefano" a Nord del Centro Città.


Cogne Valley


Basic Itinerary n° 8: from Gimillan Hamlet (1788m) through the path n° 3/TVC towards the Arpisson Alpage (2328m; E/F; 2h'00/2h'15). Beautiful excursion which, if desired, you can add the stretch of promenade from Cogne-Moline (1539m), through the path n° 6 passing through the Village of Miners and the next of Montroz (1702m), reaches Gimillan or Dzimillan, in local parlance (T; 0h'40). From Gimillan climb above the small Village of Pian di Teppe (1923m) and then, advancing to the Northwest in the forest, to reach the small saddle 2317 metres; a short descent, crossed the Torrent Arpisson, leads to the eponymous mountain pasture, with great views of Gran Paradiso, Grivola and Grand Nomenon front, Cogne and fractions in low and Pic Garin behind. Ability to continue North to the bivouac Franco Nebbia (2740m), Lake (2854m) and Garin Hill (2815m) to the Refuge Arbolle (2516m); Northwest towards Col Tsa Setze (2815m), gateway to the Pila Basin through the Walloon of Plan de l'Eyve (Water Tableland).

Basic Itinerary n° 9/9bis and other: "into the National Park Gran Paradiso" from Valnontey Hamlet (1674m) with the path-muletrack n° 18/Alta Via 2 up to the Lauson two Ponds (2655m, 2636m) near Vittorio Sella Refuge (2579m; E/F; 3h'00/3h'30). From the bridge over the Torrent Grand Eyvia climb towards the Southwest through comodoa but dusty trail that, after passing the "Botanical Garden Paradisia", reaches a waterfall in sight before Alp Troules (2111m); from here a series of wide turns next to the Torrent Lauson leads to Refuge Vittorio Sella, placed on a green plateau and at the beginning of the path to the Colle Lauson or Lauzon. From the hut towards Southeast path n° 18/TVC quickly reaches the small lakes in an area full of herds of ibex who come to man up to 3/4 metres. From these, wanting to continue, you can make the long journey that leads to the Herbetet Cottages (2441m; detour to the Bivouac Lucio and Lionello Leonessa; 2910m; 2h'00) and, again with magnificent panorama, with a descent diagonally with trail n° 22C/TVC reach the Torrent de Valnontey to the head of the valley; the route n° 22 along the same reports, from Pont des Erfaulets (1826m) and from Alp Vermiana(z) (1729m), in Valnontey closing a wonderful tour (EE/F; 7/8h'00). Sella Hut also have the opportunity to do other trips in West or North:
Col Lauson (3296 m): from refuge continue West through the trail n° 18/TVC/Alta Via 2 and by a short diagonal Southwest (exposed) to the hill (E/F; 2h'00/2h'30).
Nera Pass (3509m): with previous itinerary, just above the Torrent of Lauson, towards the crossroads 2815 metres, after by the trail n° 18C/TVC up to the fork 3094 metres and finally through traces, progressively more steep, into the stony ground with a small and enough easy rocky earthy gully in final part (EE/A/F+; 2h'30/3h'00).
Rossa or Plan Tsalende Hill (3190m): from preceding alternative 3094 metres continue more North by the path n° 18C/TVC easily up to the hill (E/F; 1h'45/2h'15).

13)- Cogne, the ancient "Conia" Roman is famous for its fine and renowned iron ore (magnetite or loadstone), useful to form one of the best steel in the world (working in the Steel Mill Cogne in Aosta). The same, coming from the three lode mining "Larsinaz, Costa del Pino, Colonna" was transported to Piedmont by mule tracks and roads for carts via the Côte Piemont and through the various hills Arietta, Scaletta, Acque Rosse. Aosta until the Seventies, the date of closure of the mines, down through an underground railway tunnel from Monte Creya (3015m) until Eaux-Froides Village (1512m), under the Pila-Resort, and from there by cable car. The Factory instead is still functional today.
14)- At the entrance to the Val de Cogne, just after Aymavilles Common (splendid Castle fourteenth century, newly renovated, with four cylindrical towers and lacework; Saint-Lèger Church of the XI° Century, rebuilt in '700) is the Roman Bridge Pondel or Pont d' Ael; built by two Patricians settlers of Padua, "Aimus et Avilius", in 3 BC or during the 13th Consulate of Gaius Octavian Caesar Augustus is 50 metres long, 2.40 wide and 52 meters high above the Grand'Eyvia. At the interior flowed an aqueduct.
15)- In the next Village Vieyes (1132m) very very ancient Church dedicated to St. Grato with Bell Tower and frescoes in the front; erected at the Rectory in 1788 and in 1845.
16)- A Cogne, in the locality "Dessous Villa" Square Tower called "House of the Plague" with graffiti inside; during the plague of 1630 was in fact used for home quarantine.
17)- In Center, called "La Voella", Parish Church of 1202, with Bell Tower rebuilt in 1822 and the interior features Baroque with altars and polychrome statues and a beautiful Chorus of '600. But that was even older upward towards the Cret, in what was called the "Vieille Cogne", along the way "du Chemin des Morts", so still called nowadays.
18)- A Valnontey little Village (1678m) are from the year 1955 the "Alpine Garden Paradisia" with rare species as "Aethionema thomasianum", exclusive of this valley.


Valle di Cogne


Itinerario di Base n° 8: dal Villaggio di Gimillan (1788m) con il sentiero n° 3/TVC fino all'Alpe di Arpisson (2328 m; E/F; 2h'00/2h'15). Bell'escursione alla quale, volendo, si può aggiungere il tratto di passeggiata che da Cogne-Moline (1539 m), tramite il sentiero n° 6 che passa per il Villaggio dei Minatori ed il successivo di Montroz (1702 m), raggiunge Gimillan o Dzimillan, in gergo locale (T; 0h'40). Da Gimillan salire al soprastante Villaggetto di Pian di Teppe (1923 m) e poi, inoltrandosi a Nordovest nella foresta, raggiungere la selletta 2317 metri; una breve discesa, attraversato il Torrent Arpisson, conduce all'omonimo alpeggio, con grande vista su Gran Paradiso, Grivola e Grand Nomenon di fronte, Cogne e frazioni in basso ed il Pic Garin alle spalle. Possibilità di proseguire a Nord verso il Bivacco Franco Nebbia (2740 m), Lago (2854 m) e Col Garin (2815 m) verso il Rifugio di Arbolle (2516 m); a Nordovest verso il Col Tsa Setze (2815 m), porta di ingresso al Bacino di Pila tramite il sottostante Vallone di Plan de l'Eyve.

Itinerario di Base n° 9/9bis ed altri: "nel Parco Nazionale Gran Paradiso" dal Villaggio di Valnontey (1674m) con il sentiero-mulattiera n° 18/TVC/Alta Via 2 fino ai Laghetti del Lauson (2655 m, 2636 m) presso il Rifugio Vittorio Sella (2579 m; E/F; 3h'00/3h'30). Dal ponte sopra il Torrent Grand'Eyvia salire verso Sudovest tramite la comoda ma polverosa mulattiera che, dopo avere oltrepassato il "Giardino Botanico Paradisia", raggiunge una cascata in vista prima dell'Alpe Troules (2111 m); da qui una serie di larghi tornanti a fianco del Torrent Lauson conduce al Rifugio Vittorio Sella, posto su di un verde altipiano ed allo inizio del sentiero per il Colle Lauson o Lauzon. Dal rifugio verso Sudest il sentiero n° 18/TVC in breve tempo raggiunge i piccoli laghi in una zona ricca di branchi di stambecchi che si avvicinano allo uomo fino a 3/4 metri. Da questi, volendo continuare, si può effettuare la lunga traversata che conduce ai Casolari dello Herbetet (2441 m; deviazione per il Bivacco Lionello e Lucio Leonessa; 2910 m; 2h'00) e, sempre con magnifico panorama, con una discesa in diagonale con sentiero n° 22C/TVC raggiungere il Torrent de Valnontey alla testata della valle; il sentiero n° 22 lungo il corso del medesimo riporta, passando dal Pont des Erfaulets (1826 m) e dall'Alpe Vermiana(z) (1729 m), a Valnontey chiudendo uno splendido giro circolare (EE/F; 7/8h'00). Inoltre dal Rifugio Sella, volendo allungare i percorsi, abbiamo l'opportunità di compiere altre belle escursioni verso Occidente e Settentrione. In breve vediamole:
Col Lauson (3296 m): proseguire ad Ovest con il sentiero n° 18/TVC/Alta Via 2 e con un breve diagonale verso Sudovest (esposto) nel finale al colle (E/F; 2h'00/2h'30).
Colle della Nera (3509 m): con il precedente itinerario, appena al di sopra del Torrent de Lauson, insino al bivio 2815 metri, quindi col sentiero n° 18C/TVC sino al biforcazione 3094 metri ed infine per tracce, sempre più ripide, nella pietraia ed uscita tramite un abbastanza facile canalino roccioso con terriccio (EE/A/F+; 2h'30/3h'00).
Colle della Rossa o di Plan Tsalende (3190 m): dal precedente bivio 3094 metri continuare più a Nord col sentiero n° 18C/TVC facilmente sin al colle (E/F; 1h'45/2h'15).


13)- Cogne, l'antica "Conia" dei Romani é famosa per il suo pregiato nonché rinomato minerale di ferro (magnetite), utile a formare uno dei migliori acciai nel mondo (lavorazione nella Acciaieria Cogne ad Aosta). Lo stesso, con provenienza dai tre filoni "Larsinaz, Costa del Pino, Colonna" veniva trasportato in Piemonte tramite mulattiere e strade carraie passando per la Côte Piemont ed i vari Colli della Arietta, Scaletta ed Acque Rosse. Ad Aosta fino agli anni Settanta, data della chiusura delle miniere, scendeva tramita una galleria sotterranea fino ad Eaux-Froides (1512 m), sotto la Stazione Turistica di Pila, e da qui tramite teleferica. La Fabbrica invece é funzionale ancora oggigiorno.
14)- All'ingresso della Val de Cogne, dopo Aymavilles (splendido Castello trecentesco, di recente completamente ristrutturato, con quattro torri cilindriche e merlettatura; Chiesa di St. Léger del Secolo XI°, ricostruita nel '700) si trova il Ponte Romano di Pondel o Pont d'Ael; costruito da due coloni Patrizi di Padova, "Aimus et Avilius", nel 3 avanti Cristo, cioé durante il 13° Consolato di Caio Ottaviano Cesare Augusto, é lungo 50 metri, largo 2,40 ed alto 52 metri sopra la Grand'Eyvia. All'interno scorreva un acquedotto.
15)- Nel successivo di Vieyes (1132 m) Chiesetta antichissima dedicata a San Grato con Campanile; affreschi nella facciata anteriore. Eretta a Rettoria nel 1788 e nel 1845.
16)- A Cogne, in località "Dessous Villa", Torre Quadrata detta "Casa della Peste" con graffitto interno; nella pestilenza del 1630 era infatti adibita dimora per la quarantena.
17)- Nel Centro, detto "La Vella", Chiesa Parrocchiale del 1202, con Campanile rifatto nel 1822 ed allo interno dotata di altari barocchi con statue policrome ed un bel Coro del '600. Ma quella ancora più antica stava sù al Cret, in quella che era detta "Vieille Cogne" e lungo la strada "du Chemin des Morts", così ancora denominata al giorno d'oggi.
18)- Al Villaggio di Valnontey (1678 m) troviamo dal 1955 il "Giardino Alpino Paradisia" con specie alquanto rare come "Aethionema thomasianum", esclusive della vallata.


Valsavarenche Valley


Basic Itinerary 10/10bis and ter: from Pont Valsavarenche (1946m) through the path-mule track n° 1 towards the Vittorio Emanuele II° Shelter (2734m; E/F; 2h'00/2h'30). "Historical" excursion to one of the oldest refuges in the Aosta Valley, which in reality are two with the oldest stone, built in 1884, just above and the new one of 1932 in a small plain below. Da Pont, crossed the Torrent Savara on a large bridge at the wide parking in earth (panels, reports and cabin of Tourist Guides Valsavarenche), proceed south along the East bank of the same; reached unnamed alpage 1991 metres, the path, with greater slope, turned decidedly to the East and, after passing by the high Alp Chanté (2372m), continuing on the eponymous torrent with a long diagonal to the refuge. The alternative to arrive at the foot of the Gran Paradiso (4061m), but this time not from the Southwest but Northwest, is to go up to the most recent and "wild" Refuge Federico and Renato Chabod (2710m): from the junction 1829 metres, before of Praviou Dèsott on the Regional Road, leave the car in a small parking lot next to the Torrent Savara. After crossing over the bridge climb Eastward with the route n° 5/5A/10A reaching the Alp Lavassey (2194m). Left to the North deviation n° 5A towards the Alp Montandayné (2463m), continue East between Côte de Savatère and namesake Torrent reaching the refuge, at the foot of Becca Montandayné and across of the great Northwest Wall of "Granpa". The other alternative is to go to visit the Chain of Gran Paradiso from a perspective completely opposite: a parking from West to take the route n° 3/3A/3D, just behind the Hôtel "Gran Paradiso", which comes in a small walloon topped by a beautiful waterfall; one last ramp leads to the Croix de la Roley (+; 2313m), at the beginning of the Plan of Nivolé and across the whole "Granpa" from the Gr. Nomenon and from this, to the Southwest, and the Denti (Jags) of Broglio the two Hills Gr. Etret. Wanting to continue and cross the long tableland (over 6 km.) Is reached, after the Alps Grand Collet Nivolet (2409m, 2407m), Hôtel Savoia (2533m) Refuge Città di Chivasso (2600m) at the Nivolé Hill (2633m). Three great tours to everyone.

19)- A Villeneuve (670m), entrance to the valley, the ruins of the "Châtel Argent", a name derived from the minting of coins; built in Century X°/XI° with the materials that came from the Roman road to Petit Saint Bernard and the demolition of an old bridge over the Baltea, belonged to Ugo il Giovane (Hugh the Young) Lords of Bard. Later it became the property of the Lords of St Pierre and in 1605 the two Lordships passed to Baron Leonardo Roncas; abandoned in the XVIII° Century to not pay the cost of restoration, the materials served to the residents on site for the reconstruction of the houses after a terrible hurricane. In this area there is the ancient cemetery over a remote necropolis with burials in a strange sitting position (5000/6000 years ago?), and that the oral tradition handed down also to hypothetical commercial-cultural links with Judea Bethlehem with the statement that St. Joseph was born in Villeneuve. Incidentally in the past the high "Via of the Alps" between Amsterdam and Venice passed right here.
20)- Between the Commons of St. Pierre and Villeneuve exists the "Tour Colin" XIII° Century, while the Parish of San Biagio (1782) is a reliquary in gilded copper enamel always part of the same century. Faced bronze in memory of the Abbot Petigat. The Old Church, accompanied by a beautiful Romanesque Bell Tower, is instead of 1400.


Valle di Valsavarenche


Itinerario di Base n° 10/10bis e ter: "Al Gran Paradiso" da Pont di Valsavarenche (1946m) con il sentiero-mulattiera n° 1 fino al Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II° (2734 m; E/F; 2h'00/2h'30). "Storica" escursione ad uno dei più vecchi rifugi della Valle di Aosta, che poi in realtà son due con il più vecchio in pietra, costruito nel 1884, appena al di sopra e quello nuovo del 1932 in una piccola spianata sottostante. Da Pont, attraversato il Torrent Savara su d'un largo ponte presso l'esteso parcheggio in terra (pannelli, segnalazioni e Cabina Turistica delle Guide di Valsavarenche), procedere verso Sud lungo la sponda Orientale del medesimo; raggiunta l'alpe innominata 1991 metri, il sentiero, con maggiore pendenza, volge decisamente ad Est e, dopo aver superato dall'alto l'Alpe Chanté (2372 m), proseguendo sopra l'omonimo torrente con un lungo diagonale raggiunge il rifugio. L'alternativa per arrivare ai piedi del Gran Paradiso (4061 m), ma questa volta non da Sudovest bensì Nordovest, consiste nel salire al più recente e "selvaggio" Rifugio Federico e Renato Chabod (2710 m): dal bivio 1829 metri, prima di Praviou Dèsott sulla Strada Regionale, lasciare l'auto in un piccolo parcheggio a lato del Torrent Savara. Dopo aver attraversato sopra il ponte salire verso Est con il sentiero n° 5/5A/10A raggiungente l'Alpe di Lavassey (2194 m). Lasciata a Settentrione la deviazione n° 5A per l'Alpe di Montandayné (2463 m), continuare ad Oriente tra la Côte de Savatère e l'omonimo Torrent raggiungendo il rifugio, ai piedi della Becca di Montandayné e con di fronte la grande Parete Nordovest del "Granpa". L'altra alternativa consiste nell'andare a visitare la Catena del Gran Paradiso da un ottica completamente opposta: dal percheggio prendere ad Ovest il sentiero n° 3/3A/3D, subito appresso l'Hôtel "Gran Paradiso", che entra in un valloncello sormontato da una bella cascata; un'ultima rampa porta alla Croix de la Roley (+; 2313 m), all'inizio del Plan del Nivolé e con di fronte l'intera catena dal Grand Nomenon al "Granpa" e da questo, verso Sudovest, ai Denti del Broglio ed ai due Colli del Grand Etret. Continuando attraverso il lungo pianoro (oltre 6 Km.) si raggiungon, dopo le Alpi Grand Collet e Nivolet (2409 m, 2407 m), l'Albergo Savoia (2533 m) ed il Rifugio Città di Chivasso (2600 m) presso il Colle del Nivolé (2633 m). Tre splendide escursioni d'alta montagna alla portata di tutti.

19)- A Villeneuve (670 m), ingresso della valle, ruderi del "Châtel Argent", nome derivato dalla coniazione delle monete; costruito nel Secolo X°/XI° coi materiali romani provenienti dalla strada del Piccolo San Bernardo e dalla demolizione d'un vecchio ponte sulla Dora, apparteneva ad Ugo il Giovane dei Signori di Bard. Successivamente divenne proprietà dei Signori di St: Pierre e nel 1605 le due Signorie passarono al Barone Leonardo Roncas; abbandonato nel XVIII° Secolo per non sostenerne le spese di restauro, i materiali servirono agli abitanti in loco per la ricostruzione delle case dopo un terribile uragano. In quest'antica area sorge il cimitero sopra a remote necropoli con sepolture in alquanto strana posizione seduta (5.000/6.000 anni orsono?) e che la tradizione locale orale tramanda anche ad ipotetici collegamenti commerciali nonché culturali con la Giudea e Betlemme con l'affermazione che San Giuseppe fosse originario di Villeneuve. Daltronde nel passato l'alta "Via delle Alpi" tra Amsterdam e Venezia passava proprio da qui.
20)- Tra i Comuni di St. Pierre e Villeneuve esiste la "Tour Colin" del XIII° Secolo, mentre nella Parrocchiale di San Biagio (1782) si trova un reliquiario in rame dorato con smalti sempre appartenente allo stesso secolo. Di fronte bronzo in memoria dell'Abbé Petigat. La vecchia Chiesa, accompagnata da un bel Campanile Romanico, invece é del 1400.


CURT X° Lavodilec also Lake of Loch from M. Rafray 2003
Casa di caccia di Grande Chaux
The chapel dedicated to the Virgin...
The  Sacre...
Val Savarenche Federico & Renato Chabod Refuge 2007

The "High" Valley (Rhêmes Valgrisa Arpy La Thuile & Little St. Bernard)

Getting There

By car:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT) also Pont Saint Martin, Verrès, Chatillon, AOSTA East (Nus) and West (Aymavilles) Municipalities (AOSTA Valley).

    From IVREA Town to Hône-Bard, Pont Bozet, Champorcher, Aymavilles, Villeneuve.

    From Villeneuve to Rhêmes, from Leverogne to Valgrisa Valleys & from Morgex towards Arpy Basin
    From Villeneuve (670m) to Rhêmes Valley: Introd (880m), Rhêmes Saint Georges (1171m), Notre Dame (1725m) Communes, through Regional Main Road, up to the Thumel Village (1887m) with Municipal Road and to Gian Federico Benevolo Refuge (2280m), through dirt farms road or underlying path.
    From Villeneuve (620m), Martignon (823m), San Bernardo through dirt road in Southeast, towards Prorayé Alp to Upper Champlong in Poignon Walloon.
    From Introd (873m), with Municipal or dirt road towards Buillet (1030m)/Biolay (1042m) small Villages to Montagne.
    From Arvier (776m), with Regional Road, towards Crête, Verney, Petit Haury, Scierie, Grand Haury with Municipal Road, to Combes Basin.
    From Avise-Runaz (786m), with Municipal Road, to forks 956, 998, 1115 metres, Marbrière Pasture, Faveroy Alp to Monte Colombo.
    From Derby-Chez Les Gontiers (839m) Village, with short Municipal Road through path in South towards Créton (1523m), Dailley (1621m) Alpages. Through two parallel secondaries small paths, to fork 1823 metres with dirt road and Tillac Alp (1848m) to Faveroy Area.
    From Morgex (920m), with Regional Road in South, towards Liarey, Pre Villair, Mont Rotie, alternative around 1275m just before Tirecagne Pasture (1532m), with dirt road in Southeast, towards Costablinaz de Meitin Pasture (1420m), after through path, towards Damon (1445m), Champex (1519m) Pastures, Plan Rançon Alp (2098m) to Becca Pouignenta Northern Area.
    From Morgex (920m), crossing the bridge above Baltea with Regional Road in South, towards Liarey, Pre Villair, Mont Rotie small Villages, alternative around 1275m) just before Tirecagne Pasture (1532m) and the Main Roads to Arpy Basin.
    From Pré Saint Didier to La Thuile & Little Saint Bernard Valleys

    From Pré Saint Didier (1010m), with State Road, to La Thuile Valley: Elévaz, Balme Villages, La Thuile Commune, 1441m; from this to Little Saint Bernard Walloon
    towards the Little Saint Bernard Hill (2188m), through State Road. To Albert Deffeyes Refuge with muletrack from La Joux Fraction.




    "From here the Valleys royally domains ... / Da qui regalmente domini le Valli ..."


    It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on State Road n° 26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.


By plane:
  • Aeroporto Internazionale "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta)


Rhêmes Valley


Basic Itinerary 11 with three variants: from Thumel Village (1887m), just after Pellaud Hamlet (1811m), through the path n° 13 or by the above private farm dirt road, passing through the Barmaverain Pastures (2037m) just after the St. Pantaléon Chapel (2010m), the Waterfalls (2051m), Roman Bridge above the Doire of Rhêmes and Lavassey Alp (2227m) towards the Gian Federico Benevolo Refuge (2285m; E/F; 1h'45/2h'15). From the shelter triple chance to proceed to the next destinations:
a)-
Southeast with the trail n° 13B, towards the Nivoletta (in North from Basei Hill) and Basei (going to the East) Passes (3130m, 3176m; EE/F+; 2h'45/3h'15).
b)- In South-southwest, before through the path n° 13C, before to the little Granta Parei Lake (2576m; E/F; 1h'15/1h'30); after, pahless but with small track on steep moraine, towards the overhanging Tsantelèina Loch below the East Wall of Granta Parei and at the foot of Sauches/Tsantelèina Glaciers (2696m; EE/F; 0h'30/0h'45).
c)- Southwest, by the path n° 13D/HRG, towards the Lac de Golette (2699m; E/F; 1h'45/2h'15) and to the above Col Bassac Déré (3082m; E/F+; 1h'30/1h'45).

21)- For Introd (670m), in a characteristic narrow, high stone bridge before the dual inlet and at the junction between the Dora Valsavara and that of Rhêmes, "Castello" built in 1260 by Pietro Sarriod Bard then became Count Sarriod of Introd; cylindrical in shape with a central traditional square tower and a traditional Roman barn restored in the fifteenth Century with the big old kitchen with hood conical dome, that was used for cooking whole animals. Also on the walls of beautiful "quadrifore" (windows with four holes), while the central part of that is destroyed, along with the furniture and the archive, by fire around in the 1850s; was restored in 1910 by the Architect Chevalley.
22)- A Rhêmes-Saint-Georges on a promontory is the Church, built over a very old Chapel then rebuilt in the twelfth century and dedicated to St. George and transformed into Parish Church and Rectory in 1500; altars, gorgeous, are of 1700, while the beautiful painting on display on the wall of the right represents the death of St. Joseph.
23)- A Rhêmes-Notre-Dame Church with old "Campanile" with famous bells (the most blaring of the entire Valley of Aosta) and adjoining ancient Cemetery; front plate with epitaph for Casimire Thérisod, the first Alpine Guide of the Rhêmes Valley, with a dedication of the friend adventures with Giovanni Bobba of C.A.I. and even foreigners.
24)- Exists Seat of P.N.G.P. with small "Museum" addressed to visitors; the surface of the same, established in December of 1922 by Royal Decree, is 56,000 hectares, 200,000 with the mountainous part, and also holds the Cogne Valley, the Valsavarenche and part of Canavese in the North of the Torrent Orco (Valprato Soana, Ronco, Ribordone, Locana , Noasca and Ceresole Reale). Twinned since July 08th, 1972 with the adjacent Vanoise National Park, affects 13 Municipalities, including 7 in the Valley of Aosta (Aymavilles, Cogne, Villeneuve, Valsavarenche, Introd, Rhêmes-Saint-Georges and Rhêmes-Notre-Dame, on the side of Rhêmes only covers the Eastern sector.


Valle di Rhêmes


Itinerario di Base n° 11 con tre varianti: dal Villaggio di Thumel (1887m), dopo quello del Pellaud (1811 m), col sentiero n° 13 oppure con la soprastante strada poderale, passando dall'Alpe Barmaverain (2037 m) subito dopo la Cappella di St. Pantaléon (2010 m), le Cascate (2051 m), Ponte Romano al di sopra della Doire de Rhêmes e l'Alpe di Lavassey (2227 m) fino al Rifugio Gian Federico Benevolo (2285 m; E/F; 1h'45/2h'15). Dal rifugio triplice possibilità di proseguire verso successive mete:
a)-
Verso Sudest, tramite il sentiero n° 13B, ai Colli di Nivoletta (a Nord del Col Basei) o, verso Oriente, al Colle Basei (3130 m, 3176 m; EE/F+; 2h'45/3h'15).
b)- Verso Sud-sudovest, per mezzo del sentiero n° 13C, dapprima al piccolo Lago della Granta Parei (2576 m; E/F; 1h'15/1h'30) e quindi, senza sentiero ma su d'un esile e ripida traccia, a quello superiore di Tsantelèina sotto la Parete Est della Granta Parei nonché ai piedi dei Ghiacciai di Sauches/Tsantelèina (2696 m; EE/F; 0h'30/0h'45).
c)- Verso Sudovest, con il sentiero n° 13D/HRG, al Lac de Golette (2699 m; E/F; 1h'45/2h'15) ed al soprastante Col Bassac Déré (3082 m); E/F+; 1h'30/1h'45).


21)- Ad Introd (670 m), presso un caratteristico stretto ed alto ponte in pietra prima del duplice ingresso ed alla congiunzione tra la Dora di Valsavara e quella di Rhêmes, "Castello" del 1260 costruito da Pietro Sarriod di Bard poi diventato Conte Sarriod di Introd. Di forma cilindrica con al centro la tradizionale torre quadrata e granaio romano restaurato nel XV° Secolo con la grande vecchia cucina con cappa a cupola conica, che serviva per la cottura di animali interi. Inoltre sulle mura di cinta splendide quadrifore, mentre la parte centrale del medesimo é andata distrutta, insieme ai mobili ed all'archivio, da un incendio intorno al 1850; venne restaurato nel 1910 dall'Architetto Chevalley.
22)- A Rhêmes-Saint-Georges su d'un promontorio si trova la Chiesa, costruita sopr'una antichissima Cappella poi ricostruita nel XII° Secolo e dedicata a San Giorgio e quindi trasformata in Parrocchiale e Rettoria nel 1500; gli altari, splendidi, son del 1700, mentre la bella tela esposta sul muro di destra rappresenta la morte di San Giuseppe.
23)- A Rhêmes-Notre-Dame Chiesa con vecchio Campanile con famose campane (le più squillanti dell'intera Val d'Aosta) ed attiguo antico Cimitero; di fronte targa-epitaffio per Casimire Thérisod, la prima Guida Alpina della Valle di Rhêmes, con dedica dell'amico alpinista Giovanni Bobba e compagni di avventure del C.A.I. ed anche stranieri.
24)- esiste sede del P.N.G.P. con piccolo "Museo" rivolto ai visitatori; la superficie del medesimo, inaugurato nel Dicembre del 1922, é di 56.000 ettari, 200.000 con la parte montana, e ricopre anche parte della Valle di Cogne, la Valsavarenche e del Canavese a Nord del Torrente Orco (Valprato Soana, Ronco, Ribordone, Locana, Noasca e Ceresole Reale). Gemellato dal Luglio 1972 con il Parco Nazionale della Vanoise, interessa 13 Comuni, tra i quali 7 in Val d'Aosta, sul lato di Rhêmes ricopre solo il settore Orientale.


Valgrisenche Valley


Basic Itinerary 12 with the variations 12bis and ter: from Valgrisenche-Surrier (1785m) through the path n° 12 along the Eastern shore of Doire de Valgrisenche, passing through the Alpages of Tsalé (1931m) and immediately thereafter of Saxe Savoie (2036m) towards Mario Bezzi Shelter (2284m; E/F; 2h'00/2h'30), at Vaudet Alp.
Two alternatives to continuation of the trail:
a)-
Towards Southeast uo to the Col Bassac Déré (3082m) through the path n° 12C/HRG with a long diagonal way that, bypassing numerous small torrents now semi dried towards a rocky-grassy promontory and fletting more to the Southeast, reachs the same with a final stretch just steeper in the margin of the glacier(EE/F+; 2h'30/3h'00).
b)- Towards Northwest to Vaudet Hill (2836m) through the trail n° 12D/12E that, reached the Torrent Grapillon within the namesake walloon and leaving right the deviation n° 12E towards the Comba du Rocher Blanc, reach the hill (E/F; 1h'45/2h'15). Unusual, beautiful views in front of the Mont Pourrì (3779m), already on French (Tarentaise).

25)- Arvier (776m), or better from Li(e)verogne Fraction at the entrance in the Valgrisa, we reach, between big chestnut woods, beneath the rocky promontory with a view to the small Chapel of Rochefort. Reached the plateau of Ravoire (936m, small climbing wall) you get to the "Gorge des Grands Ezelles or Grands Escaliers" dominated by the grim and gloomy "Château de Montmaj (y) eur or Tour d'Arboe also Tour d'Haury" (1150m), famous for his dark and sinister legends of oral tradition since the XIII Century. The same only ruins remain of the cylindrical tower with lacework and the walls decadent and wrapped in a thick and wild forest, located immediately to the West of the Villages of Petit and Grand Haury (1081m, 1177m). From the first a small path through the dense vegetation reaches the remains of the castle that seems to "fall" in the Northwest.
26)- Shortly after, over the Village of Chamençon (1241m), you reach the deviation of the Regional Road Westward in the direction of the nearby Hamlet of Planaval (1580m), where the remains of the "Castle Planaval"; built by a local Country Gentleman in XIII° Century and which is now only a square tower in progressive unfailing ruin.


Valle di Valgrisenche


Itinerario di Base n° 12 con le varianti 12bis e ter: da Valgrisenche-Surrier (1785 m) con il sentiero n° 12 lungo la sponda Orientale della Doire de Valgrisenche, transitando per gli Alpeggi di Tsalé (1931 m) e l'immediatamente successivo di Saxe Savoie (2036 m) fino al Rifugio Mario Bezzi (2284 m;E/F; 2h'00/2h'30), all'Alpe Vaudet.
Due alternative di proseguimento di percorso:
a)-
Verso Sud-sudest al Col Bassac Déré (3082 m) per mezzo del sentiero sentiero n° 12C/HRG con un lungo diagonale che, oltrepassati diversi solchi torrentizi semi prosciugati, dopo un promontorio erboso-roccioso e flettendo più a Sudest lo raggiunge con tratto finale appena più ripido a margine del ghiacciaio (EE/F+; 2h'30/3h'00).
b)- Verso Nordovest al Col Vaudet (2836 m) tramite il sentiero n° 12D/12E che, raggiunto il Torrent Grapillon all'interno dell'omonimo vallone e lasciata a destra la deviazione n° 12E per la Comba du Rocher Blanc, lo raggiunge (E/F; 1h'45/2h'15). Inusuali e belle vedute in fronte sul Mont Pourrì (3779 m), ormai in terra di Francia (Tarentaise).


25)- da Arvier (776 m), o meglio dalla Frazione di Li(e)verogne all'ingresso della Valgrisa, si giunge, tra grandi boschi di castagne, sotto il promontorio roccioso con in vista la piccola Cappella di Rochefort. Raggiunto il pianoro della Ravoire (936 m; piccola palestra di roccia) si arriva alla "Gola des Grands Ezelles o Grands Escaliers" dominata dallo arcigno e lugubre "Château de Montmaj(y)eur o Tour d'Arboé o Tour d'Haury" (1150 m), famoso per le sue oscure e sinistre leggende di tradizione orale sin dal XIII° Secolo. Dello stesso rimangono solo le rovine della torre cilindrica con merlettatura e mura ormai decadenti ed avvolte da fitta e selvaggia foresta, posta subito ad Occidente dei Villaggi di Petit e Grand Haury (1081 m, 1177 m). Dal primo un sentierucolo attraverso la densa vegetazione raggiunge i resti del Castello che par "precipitare" a Nordovest.
26)- Poco dopo, oltre il Villaggio di Chamençon (1241 m), si raggiunge la deviazione della Strada Regionale verso Ovest in direzione della vicina Frazione di Planaval (1580 m), ove permangono i resti del "Castello di Planaval"; costruito da un Signorotto locale nel XIII° Secolo e del quale rimane ormai soltanto torre squadrata in progressiva rovina.


Arpy Basin


Basic Itinerary 13 and variants 13bis and ter: from San Carlo Hill (1971m), nearby the parking of Hôtel "La Genzianella", through the path concomitant with the private dirt road n° 15 towards the Arpy Loch (2063m; T; 0h'50/1h'10). You can vary the path extending to above Lake Pietra Rossa, or change it completely going up on the watershed opposite to the fortifications nearby the Hill of the Cross, at the foot of Crest North-northwest of Northern Summit Mont Colmet (signaled and partially equipped):
a)- Towards South-southeast Lake Pietra Rossa (2553m) by means of the path n° 15 with a trail on the right bank (West) of Lake Arpy that reached the following Plan d'Arpy, turn to the East next to a beautiful waterfall, reaching a plateau above. From here two possibilities: 1)- climb directly through the easy "Via Ferrata" coming out at the outlet on the West bank (EEA/F+; 1h'30); 2)- or with wider around Southeast towards the Northern Mont Colmet reach the lake at its end South (EE/F+; 1h'50/2h'10).
b)-
By dirt road to Arpy Lake to the fork 2050 metres around after St. Maurice and then Southwest towards Hill of the Cross (2381m) with route n° 16 (E/F; 1h'40).

27)-
A Morgex, the ancient Roman "Moracium", "Castle Archet" built by Noble Lords Archet, in which the Savoy held their "General Audiences".

Bacino di Arpy


Itinerario di Base n° 13 con le varianti 13bis e ter: dal Colle San Carlo (1971 m), presso l'Hôtel "La Genzianella", con il sentiero concomitante con la poderale n° 15 fino al Lago d'Arpy con passeggiata del tutto Turistica (attenzione in inverno) (2063 m; T; 0h'50/1h'10). Si può variare il percorso prolungandolo fino al soprastante Lago di Pietra Rossa, oppure cambiarlo del tutto salendo sullo spartiacque opposto verso le fortificazioni del Colle della Croce, ai piedi dell'attrezzata Cresta Nord-nordovest del Mont Colmet:
a)- Verso Sud-sudest al Lago di Pietra Rossa (2553 m) per mezzo del sentiero n° 15 con un percorso sulla sponda destra (Ovest) del Lago d'Arpy che, raggiunto il Plan d'Arpy, volta ad Est a fianco d'una bella cascata, raggiungendo un pianoro. Da qui due possibilità: 1)- salire direttamente tramite la facile "Via Ferrata" uscendo presso l'emissario sulla sponda Ovest (EEA/F+; 1h'30); 2)- oppure con più largo giro a Sudest verso il Mont Colmet Settentrionale raggiungere il lago all'estremità Sud (EE/F+; 1h'50/2h'10).
b)- Con la poderale pel Lago d'Arpy fino al bivio 2050 metri circa dopo St. Maurice e quindi verso Sudovest al Colle della Croce (2381 m) col sentiero n° 16 (E/F; 1h'40).


27)-
A Morgex, l'antica "Moracium" romana, "Castello d'Archet" costruito dai Nobili Signori Archet, nel quale i Savoia tenevano le loro "Udienze Generali".

La Thuile Valley


Basic Itinerary 14: from La Thuile-La Joux (1624m) with the path-mule n° 3/Alta Via 2 towards the Albert Deffeyes Shelter (2500m; E/F; 3h'00/3h'15).

28)- La Thuile, the "Ariolica" Roman, was until about fifty years ago important center mining for coal mining, which fed the "Steelworks Cogne" of Aosta.
29)- The construction of the parish is 800, dedicated to the worship of San Defendente, Protector avalanche; the current Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is of 1732 and in 1794 underwent a fire caused by French troops. The great Crucifix on the lintel, which was saved from the same, while on the outside wall plaque exists for Count Girolamo Ricci of Andonno, Commander of the Grenadiers and died in La Thuile after the Battle of Traverset in June 1793. At the entrance of the Valley there "Ravine Pré St. Didier".


Valle di La Thuile


Itinerario di Base n° 14: da La Thuile-La Joux (1624m) con il sentiero-mulattiera n° 3/Alta Via 2 fino al Rifugio Albert Deffeyes (2500 m; E/F; 3h'00/3h'15).

28)- La Thuile, l'"Ariolica" romana, era fino ad una cinquantina di anni orsono importante centro minerario per l'estrazione del carbone, che alimentava le "Acciaierie Cogne".
29)- La costruzione della Parrocchia é del '800, dedicata al culto di San Defendente, Protettore dalle valanghe; l'attuale Chiesa, dedicata a San Nicola, é del 1732 e nel 1794 subì un incendio provocato dalle truppe francesi. Di notevole il Crocefisso sull'architrave, che si salvò dal medesimo, mentre sul muro esterno esiste lapide per il Conte Gerolamo Ricci d'Andonno, Comandante dei granatieri e morto a La Thuile dopo la Battaglia del Traverset nel Giugno 1793. All'ingresso della Valle esiste l'"Orrido di Pré St. Didier".


Little Saint Bernard Vallon


Basic Itinerary 15: Pont Serrand (1635m) with the trail n° 9 towards Lower Verney Lake (2088m) and up to the Little Saint Bernard Pass (2185m; T/E/F; 2h'15/2'30). Or is even along stretches of the "Old Salassians Route", which basically coincides with the path and, through the Plan Abondance, reaches the "Roman Mansio" on the hill.

30)- Pont-Serrand (1635m; fountain), first and last village between La Thuile and the Little St. Bernard Pass, there's oldest bridge across the Valley of Aosta, on the Torrent de Verney (from the homonym loch). The same holds significant value "historic" being used "ab immemorabilis" in the passage between Italy and France. A "Roman Road", which traces remain considerable and is still viable, salt reaching the same who was known to the fall of the Empire as "Columnae Jovis" and constituted the "Alpis Graia" (in honor of Consul Ercole Graio) on "Via of Gaul". In addition to the hill there is a "Mansio Romana" useful in the shelter of men and horses, who were staying there even in winter up to 313 AD ( Edict of Constantine) with replacing of "Milites" with the Priests; 700-943 (invasion of the Saracens up to the 990) were supervised by "Benedictine Fathers", who departed after the destruction of the "Chapel", built in 448 by St. Germanus of Auxerre. Then he fell into the hands of "Banditry" with robbers who robbed and killed travelers, so to the Great St. Bernard. Bernard of Mentone that belonged to the Canons of the Cathedral of Aosta, along with an expedition by volunteers, released in 1039 both hills of this scourge, sharing personally to "clean-up", after which began the design and construction of the two "Hospices". The project was completed in 1040 for the Little and in 1049 for the Great, but in 1113, on the insistence of the Bishop of Aosta Boson II°, the property was donated to the Canons of Verrès, due to the cessation of the monastic life of the first and interest on rents by the second. With St. Peter II°, Bishop of the Diocese of Tarentaise, the traffic to the hill shooting regularly, indeed increased considerably, but being insufficient space, the same thought it well to erect another Hospice with larger spaces and receptiveness in full French territory at 1 Km. from the hill and 28 Km. from Bourg St. Maurice. This decision by its construction marked the demolition of the first, which took place in 1145. In 1170 it was divided and made autonomous from the Convent of Verrès by order of the Counts of Savoy; intervention confirmed in 1221 by Pope Honorius III°. In 1176 the Bishop of Ivrea gave to the Hospice the Church of St. Eusebius in Feletto, while in 1227 were donated the annuities of other four churches of the Tarentaise as well as those of Arvier at the "Gouffre" of St. Nicolas, followed in 1245 by that of La Thuile with the sale of all goods from Pré St. Didier at Bourg St. Maurice in exchange of the Churches of Arvier and Feletto. In later times the Spanish troops demolished the Chapel stealing everything in September 1587, while in July 1691 the French, retreating from the Valley of Aosta, destroyed almost the entire Hospice. In 1864 a road was opened on the French side, while in 1873 it was built the Italian until it joins on the hill. Is crossed by many Military Leaders, including Hannibal, Julius Caesar, Gundikar, Godfrey of Boglione, Duke Carlo Emanuele I°, by Prince Thomas of Savoy and others, as well as by the Emperors Vitellius, Septimius Severus and Caligula and also from San Pietro II°, Tarentaise's Bishop in 1444. In this connection is reported the "Circle of Hannibal", the popular tradition have been built by General Carthaginian: in reality it is a "Cromlech" consists of forty blocks shaped tip, places with a range that ranges from 2 to 4 metres in a circular arrangement; is dated back to "Bronze Age" and, most likely, had functions of worship and ritual. In France there are in fact the ruins of the "Sanctuary of Jupiter", dedicated to the ancient god of the Greeks and Romans, while the name of San Bernardo is only since 1881 with "Domus Sancti Bernardi Montis Jovis", but the name is hard to take root if true that in 1466 is still named as the Priory Columnae Jovis Pass, who in 1500, in order to differentiate itself from the Great St. Bernard, became Mont Jouvet, with the French fashion and with due respect for all as it happens in the mid '800 from the first "Guide Murray" with distinction between Little and Great. But the real character of the Hill remains him, the Abbot Pierre Chanoux, mountaineer, botanist, writer, poet and Rector of the Hospice through a half Century, where he died on February 9, 1909, after being born in Champorcher April 3 1828.A he must the creation of the "Astronomical Observatory" and "Chanousia Garden", destroyed in the last war and now restored as "Chanousia Jardin Botanique". From September 6th, 1964 a statue on his grave near the hill handed down the memory, in the small Chapel, in practice a miserable cave where he loved to take refuge and live. Currently the pass, closed in winter for almost six months because of the big snow, still has many transits, but more for tourism that commercial; after the opening of the Mont Blanc Tunnel in fact the traffic has taken that direction. As had happened in 1560, when the same had been intentionally diverted to the Mont Cenis with transfer, decided by Prince Emanuele Filiberto, the Capital of Savoy from Chambery to Turin with consequent collapse of the economy throughout the Valley of Aosta.

Vallone del Piccolo San Bernardo


Itinerario di Base n° 15: da Pont Serrand (1635 m) con il sentiero n° 9 fino al Lago Verney (2088 m) ed al Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo (2185 m; T/E/F; 2h'15/2'30). Oppure risulta anche percorrere tratti della "Antica Strada sei Salassi" che in pratica coincide con il sentiero e, attraversando il Plan Abondance, raggiunge la "Mansio" al colle.

30)- A Pont-Serrand, primo ed ultimo villaggetto tra La Thuile ed il Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo, esiste il ponte più antico di tutta la Valle di Aosta, sopra il Torrent de Verney; lo stesso possiede un notevole valore "storico" essendo stato utilizzato "ab immemorabilis" nel passaggio tra l'Italia e la Francia. Una "Strada Romana", della quale rimangono notevoli tracce ed é tutt'ora percorribile, sale raggiungendo il medesimo che era conosciuto alla caduta dell'Impero come "Columnae Jovis" e costituiva l'"Alpis Graia" (in onore del Console Ercole Graio) sulla "Via delle Gallie". Inoltre al colle troviamo una "Mansio Romana" utile al riparo di uomini e cavalli, che lì soggiornavano anche in inverno fino al 313 d.C /Editto di Costantino) con sostutuzione dei "Milites" con i Sacerdoti; dal 700 al 943 (invasione dei Saraceni fino al 990) furono vigilati dai "Padri Benedettini", che si allontanarono con la distruzione della "Cappella" eretta nel 448 da San Germano di Auxerre. Poi cadde in mano al "Brigantaggio" coi predoni che derubavano ed uccidevano i viandanti, come al Passo del Gran San Bernardo. Bernardo di Mentone che apparteneva a Canonici della Cattedrale di Aosta, insieme ad una spedizione divolontari, nel 1039 liberò entrambi i colli da questo flagello, pertecipando personalmente al "repulisti", dopo di che diede inizio alla progettazione e costruzione dei due "Ospizi". I lavori terminarono nel 1040 per il Piccolo e nel 1049 per il Grande, ma nel 1113, su insistenze del Vescovo di Aosta Bosone II°, la proprietà fù devoluta ai Canonici di Verrès, causa la cessazione dalla vita monastica dei primi e per interessi sulle rendite del secondo. Con San Pietro II°, Vescovo della Diocesi di Tarentaise, il traffico al colle riprese regolarmente, anzi s'incrementò notevolmente, ma, essendo insufficiente lo spazio, lo stesso pensò bene di erigere un altro Ospizio con più grandi spazi nonché ricettibilità in completo territorio francese ad 1 Km. dal colle ed a 28 Km. da Bourg St. Maurice. Questa decisione con relativa costruzione segnò la demolizione del primo, avvenuta nel 1145. Nel 1170 venne diviso e reso autonomo dal Convento di Verrès per ordine dei Conti di Savoia; intervento confermato nel 1221 da parte del Papa Onorio III°. Nel 1176 il Vescovo d'Ivrea diede all'Ospizio la Chiesa di San Eusebio a Feletto, mentre nel 1227 furono donate le rendite di altre quattro Chiese della Tarentaise nonché quelle di Arvier presso il "Gouffre" di St. Nicolas, seguite nel 1245 da quella di La Thuile con la cessione di tutti i beni da Pré St. Didier a Bourg St. Maurice in cambio delle Chiese d'Arvier e Feletto. Nei tempi successivi truppe Spagnole demolirono la Cappella rubando tutto nel Settembre 1587, mentre nel Luglio del 1691 i Francesi, in ritirata dalla Valle di Aosta, distrussero quasi del tutto l'Ospizio. Nel 1864 venne aperta una strada sul versante francese, mentre nel 1873 fu costruita quella italiana fino alla congiunzione sul colle. Risulta attraversato da molti Condottieri, tra i quali Annibale, Giulio Cesare, Gundikar, Goffredo di Buglione, il Duca Carlo Emanuele I°, dal Principe Tommaso di Savoia ed altri, nonché dagli Imperatori Vitellio, Settimo Severo e Caligola e pure da San Pietro II°, Vescovo di Tarantasia, nel 1444. A tal proposito viene segnalato il "Cerchio di Annibale", che la tradizione popolare vuol essere stato costruito dal Generale Cartaginese: in realtà trattasi d'un "Cromlech" formato da una quarantina di blocchi a forma di punta, posti con un intervallo variante da 2 a 4 metri in una disposizione circolare; é databile all'"Età del Bronzo" e, molto probabilmente, aveva funzioni di culto e rituali. In territorio francese esiston infatti le rovine del Santuario di Giove", dedicato all'antico dio dei Greci e dei Romani, mentre il nome di San Bernardo appare solo dal 1881 con "Domus Sancti Bernardi Montis Jovis", ma il toponimo fatica ad attecchire se é vero che nel 1466 viene ancor nominato come Colle del Priorato Columnae Jovis; nel 1500, onde differenziarlo dal Gran San Bernardo, divenne Mont Jouvet, alla francese e con buona pace per tutti. Come avviene a metà '800 dalla prima "Guida Murray" con distinzione tra Little e Great. Ma il vero personaggio del Colle rimane lui, l'Abbé Pierre Chanoux, alpinista, botanico, letterato, poeta e Rettore dell'Ospizio per mezzo Secolo, dove morì il 9 Febbraio 1909, dopo essere nato in Champorcher il 3 Aprile 1828.A lui si deve la creazione di "Osservatorio Astronomico e Chanousia", questa distrutta nell'ultima guerra ed oggi ripristinata come "Chanousia Jardin Botanique". Dal 1964 una statua sulla sua tomba al colle ne tramanda la memoria, in una Cappelletta, in pratica una miserabile spelonca, ove amava rifugiarsi e vivere. Attualmente il valico, chiuso in inverno per quasi sei mesi, registra ancora numerosi transiti, ma più a scopo turistico che commerciale; dopo l'apertura del Tunnel del Monte Bianco infatti il traffico ha preso quella direzione. Come era accaduto nel 1560, quando il medesimo era stato volutamente dirottato verso il Moncenisio con trasferimento, deciso da Emanuele Filiberto, della Capitale Savoiarda da Chambery a Torino con conseguente crollo dell'economia per tutta la Val d'Aosta.

Granta Parei East & North Faces from Northeast 2004
Alta Valgrisenche, verso il rifugio M. Bezzi
il lago d Arpy mt. 2066
Lago del colle Piccolo San Bernardo (2180 m)
Rifugio A. Deffeyes


Images

Il lago Pellaud...Walking ... M. Emilius Northern & Eastern Walls 2000CURT X° Lavodilec also Lake of Loch from M. Rafray 2003La croce dell\'Aroley...Casa di caccia di Grande ChauxFrom Ponton Tower to Miserin Lake & Sanctuary 2002Petit Avert, Lavodilec Loch & Hill
Granta Parei East & North Faces from Northeast 2004Lago Bianco e Lago Cornuto,...Punta Rossa della Grivola North Wall Mountain Guide Giulio Adolfo "Dulo" OurlazBec Raty return towards Latuiri AlpageCURT XI° Peaks were desolate and abandoned by God and menCURT XI° Do not you feel that the Time Go?
[ View Gallery - 14 More Images ]



Comments

No comments posted yet.