Wapta Icefield Debrief

Wapta Icefield Debrief

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.64018°N / 116.54846°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 3, 2012
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
In October of 2012, I spent seven days on the Wapta Icefield with the TRU Mountain 1 Course.

Day 1 – 03 Oct 2012

Our group of seven moved from the trail head up to the Bow Hut near the toe Wapta Icefield. The trail was approximately eight kilometres long and took us about six hours to complete. There were few major obstacles expect for a boulder crossing fairly early into the hike. Overall it was a relatively easy go and the hut has gorgeous facilities.

Day 2 - 04 Oct 2012

Today we covered basic crevasse rescue rigging techniques on the toe of the glacier, as well as some basic ice and snow movement skills.

Day 3 - 05 Oct 2012

Early this morning our group moved from the Bow Hut to the Peyto Hut. The distance between the huts is about 5 kilometres with easily avoidable crevasse hazard along the route. While on our way we stopped for some crevasse rescue in the Thompson moat.

Safe glacial travel is way easier my usual fare of loose alpine rock in the Rockies.

Day 4 - 06 Oct 2012

Today we summitted Mt Habel (Mt Rhonda - North). We moved from the Peyto Hut through two crevasse fields up the south east face and then across the ridge to the summit. Although, we fell short of the true summit due to the technical difficulty of the last few moves it was nevertheless a great objective.

After the summit we moved back to the Bow Hut with only one crevasse field along the way, although there is a serac fall hazard along the route especially if you hug to closely to Mt Rhonda.

Day 5 - 07 Oct 2012

Today we climbed Mt Olive. We moved from the Bow Hut up the toe of the Wapta, avoiding the far left hand side due to crevasse hazard and through the col between St Nicolas and Mt Olive. From there we moved up the North ridge across the North summit and down the snow field on the West face. A steep snow face which requires crampons.

On our way back to the hut we practiced self arrest skills.

Day 6 - 08 Oct 2012

Crevasse rescuing testing. It was also the only day with poor weather, better for training.

There were Northern Lights at night; unfortunately, they were obscured by clouds.

Day 7 - 09 Oct 2012

It was an early morning departure from the Bow Hut and back to the vans at the trail head. Far quicker moving out then coming in.


Comments

No comments posted yet.