Watch your step when climbing...

Watch your step when climbing...

Watch your step when climbing this tricky mountain (Mt.Giewont 1895m). It is a rugged moutnain (like all the Tatry) and has a steep incline angle- which makes it very hard for hikers to go up the mountain.
It's no Everest, but this mountain is very dangerous and can be seen from other mountains such as Kasprowy Weirch(1985m) and can also be seen from Zakopane(only on a sunny day)
Over 8 people were killed on this mountain last year because the summit on the west side of the mountian is very steep.
The cross (at the summit) has been errected there to remember the fallen..
This mountain is nicknamed "Little Knight" because it looks like a knight's face (the cross in on the "nose" of the knight,while the rest of theknight's body is part of Little Giewont) from the north side.
You can't really see the face of the knight from this picture though, because it is facing east-west, you can see the face most clearly when it is seen from the north or the south.
Just the way up to Giewont isn't easy either. To get to the waterfall (at the bottom of the mountain), you must hike for about an hour thourgh trails surrounded by the woods and up a couple of steep hills (some of which include very jagged rocks). This is only the path to the bottom of the mountain, the way up is much more harder (a 4 hour hike up the side of the mountain!)
bottomlesspit
on Aug 31, 2005 2:41 pm
Image ID: 123554

Comments

No comments posted yet.