Watzmann Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 38 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi D_Smith,

great page. I only miss
  • an overview over the different routes and their difficulty and lenghts (in general)
  • a link to the Wimbachgrießhütte
  • a precise description how to get to Berchtesgaden
  • some books

• If this is added, it is really a wonderful page.

Regards, Rahel

May 22, 2002: Because of your 0 star vote on my Nadelgrat page I'm changing my vote now on your page from 4 stars to 0 stars. If you change your Nadelgrat vote, I will also change my vote on Watzmann.

Several hours later: thanks for your votes! Rahel

Posted Jan 19, 2002 12:43 pm

D SmithUntitled Comment

D Smith

Thx for the suggestions:

>an overview over the different routes and their difficulty and lenghts (in general)

I've only climbed the Hocheck route (not the complete traverse), so I can't comment too much. I'll leave it up to other members to add to the Routes page (If you have a list of routes to add to the Overview section on the main page, I'll post them.)

>a link to the Wimbachgrießhütte

Done (along with Watzmann Haus). Figured DAV link would be most up-to-date.

>a precise description how to get to Berchtesgaden

Didn't want to clutter page with too much info, so I added link to MapQuest

>some books

ISBN's not in amazon.com, but are in amazon.de. Fired a request to josh/ryle to get a couple titles added.
    Posted Feb 5, 2002 1:07 am

D SmithUntitled Comment

D Smith

I could give a rat's ass...

I am just doing my part to hopefully get this page on the auction block before you nuke it like you've done with others.

If you agree to just keep the mountain pages you are currently "maintaining" as-is, I'll restore my vote.

Posted May 22, 2002 11:09 am

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Although, I had the freedom to delete all my own written stuff, I explained on the general board, that I'm going to restore all pages, since this is for me at present the easiest way to prevent my stuff from simply being stolen by somebody. I think the consequence for my Nadelgrat page should be clear - that I will leave it as it is. But nevertheless is your behavior ridiculous to try to put pressure on me. I will ignore you in the future since I don't want to waste my time with persons like you.
    Posted May 22, 2002 11:22 am

D SmithUntitled Comment

D Smith

Ha! couldn't stand the though of losing all of the links to your new site, eh?
    Posted May 22, 2002 5:37 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Great page! How the heck did it get *eleven* additional info updates???
    Posted Apr 10, 2002 8:38 am

bigwallyUntitled Comment

bigwally

Great Page !!!! What can I say??? Like Totally thorough!!!! I'm Happy to add another 4-star vote.
    Posted Jan 19, 2003 8:52 pm

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Good page, about a good German mountain
    Posted Nov 8, 2003 5:27 am

Mathias ZehringUntitled Comment

Mathias Zehring

very good update. Now the page looks like this important mountain deserves it.

A picture of Watzmannhaus could appear at the appropriate section
    Posted Jan 5, 2005 1:03 am

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

Hello Dave,

first I congratulate you to your own webpage www.zweishmith.com.

Your Watzmann page is ok, but I think too (like M. Zehring and others), that additions would be a good work. I believe (because I'm living directly under this wonderful mountain and made in the last 40 years many hikes and climbs on it) Watzmann is an important mountain for many hikers and climbers in the whole world. You can see this on the great value of hits for your page (2550 in this minute - with mine;-).

I can imagine it's not very easy to update such a page continuous, if you are living far, far away. If you need a help (insider informations or something else) ask me, I'm sitting at the source;-)

At first I have posted a number of photos (and I have hundreds in backhand;-) and a new climbing route on Kleiner Watzmann, which is not so celebrated but at least so beautiful (exept he is 400 m lower!).

I believe, one important part of this mountain is the Watzmann saga. Even though it's not essential for climbers, anyone would be happy to know this magical and spooky story - she's for all of us part of this mountain. Because my English is not the best, I looked in WWW for a good version and I found one:

It's written by an english tourist (Sandy Smith) and I asked her to use her version of this in Berchtesgaden well known story in SP. She agreed friendly and I send it you, hoping you can integrate it reasonable in your page.

For today I send you and your familiy my best regards

Michael

Berchtesgaden's Symbol ©  by sandysmith

Description:

The Watzmann massif has come to be known as the symbol of the Berchtesgaden area due to the following legend:

King Watzmann ruled over Berchtesgaden, he hated humans and animals and loved to torment his subjects and torture their animals. Mad hunting parties were his favorite sport and he loved the sound of the hunting horns and the baying of the hounds resounding throughout the forest. His wife and seven children also shared his lust for wild hunts where the sweating horses collapsed with exhaustion and the game was chased to death before being savagely shredded to bits by the hounds. This madness continued until God decided to punish them. With cries of ‘Off to the hunt!’ echoing from the castle courtyard and hunting horns resounding, the whole family set off with their baying hounds. In the pale light of dawn, the king noticed an old woman with her grandchild on her lap. He spurred his horse on toward them so as to trample them to death. When the farmer and his wife ran out of the hut to bring their dying loved ones inside, the king called the dogs on them till they were bitten to shreds. Smiling, the king, queen and children observed the bloody scene. Now here they stand, immortalised in rock: the king, his wife and seven children (one speaks today from five children, because two rocks are to unimposing for been counted from mountaineers M.P.) forced to stare down into Berchtesgadenerland.
    Posted Jan 21, 2005 4:03 pm

D SmithUntitled Comment

D Smith

Hey now that I've "passed the torch" to Michael, I can finally give it a 4-star vote! Woo-hoo!

I'm confident that Michael will make this page worthy of 10 stars in no time ;-)

Posted Jan 26, 2005 4:36 pm

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

Hey Dave - you are a cunning fox ;-)

Best wishes for you from Berchtesgaden

Michael
    Posted Jan 27, 2005 12:38 pm

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

Hi Dave,

I have updated the Watzmann page for the most part. Perhaps you want to take a look and give me a feedback to "our" page.

Best regards from Berchtesgaden

Michael
    Posted Feb 6, 2005 10:25 am

D SmithUntitled Comment

D Smith

Very impressive! Excellent work...makes me want to return and do the full traverse sometime soon!
    Posted Feb 7, 2005 9:40 pm

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

Hi Dave,

thank you for your friendly comment! I hope you will return and visit the Watzmann, the whole traverse is really wonderful and Berchtesgaden is a journey worthwhile!

Greetings Michael
    Posted Feb 8, 2005 7:14 am

Vid PogachnikUntitled Comment

Vid Pogachnik

It's a great page now! I enjoyed reading the text, while I knew pictures from before. Thanks for improving the page! Watzmann deserves it!
    Posted Jan 30, 2005 3:02 am

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

I have not yet finished the page but I think a important part is done. I hope I can finish the update in next days.

Michael
    Posted Jan 30, 2005 5:29 pm

guenniUntitled Comment

guenni

Well done, Michael!

Hope you allow that I linked two of your phantastic photos to "my" Wieder-Route.

Günni
    Posted Jan 31, 2005 1:10 pm

Michael PrittwitzUntitled Comment

Michael Prittwitz

Thank you! I have posted some new parts (Routes Overwiew) today. Thanks for linking!

Cheers Michael
    Posted Jan 31, 2005 4:16 pm

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Beautiful page with beautiful photos! Good work!
    Posted Feb 6, 2005 5:00 am