Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.32719°N / 112.81011°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Yavapai
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6574 ft / 2004 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Weaver Peak is the highpoint of the small Weaver Mountain range in central-west Arizona near Peeples Valley. Clearly visible from Arizona State Route 89 in Wilhoit, it a brushy, unassuming granite peak that would often go overlooked were it not for its 2,134' of prominence, placing it #58 on the Arizona state prominence list.

It is a summit not gained without sacrifice. Easy access does not exist; there are no trails and thick brush no matter which route you choose. Climbing it is largely a sufferfest, rewarded with great views of the surrounding area and the ticking off a state prominence point. If you're just in the market for any old dayhike in the area, look elsewhere.

Getting There

First, see the "Red Tape" section and contact the Sorrells prior to coming to hike.

Whether coming from Prescott to the northeast or from Congress to the southwest, proceed on Arizona State Route 89 to just north of mile marker 283 and turn northwest on Sorrells Road (34.302389, -112.719740). Continue 3.4 miles on this good, county-maintained dirt road until you enter the Sorrell Ranch property. Keep left at the first Y-junction, then follow the hairpin turn right through the south cattle guard to pull in front of the ranch house (34.315093, -112.762327) and check in with the landowners.

If coming from the southwest, Google Maps may try to route you through the neighborhoods in Peeples Valley via Hayes Ranch Road. Access is blocked by other private properties; follow the directions above.

If you are driving anything less than a high-clearance, 4WD vehicle, park at the ranch house and proceed on foot. If you do have a capable vehicle, exit the ranch property through the north cattle guard, pass over a second cattle guard, then immediately turn left and weave through the trees. It may not look anything like a road at this point, but the two-track will become more visible as you cross the wash and proceed up the west side. This jeep trail is narrow, steep, and rocky, and near the top contains a significant obstacle requiring HC 4WD. Your vehicle will definitely take some pinstriping on this portion. Park when you arrive at the first fenceline with the Komatsu (34.322340, -112.782893); there is plenty of space if you are coming with multiple vehicles. From the ranch house to this parking area is 1.6 miles with 465' of gain and 40' of loss.

Route

It's a fool's errand to try to describe any precise route on this mountain; there are no trails, and the brush is very thick in places. According to Cliff Sorrell, the area has not seen wildfire in over 100 years, resulting in a buildup of dense vegetation.

From the parking area, enter the first fenceline through the cattle funnel and cross diagonally to the second one, about 100 yards away, past the tank. Enter this cattle funnel and head northwest along the fenceline to your right. From here, your general path is west-northwest; consult your map or GPS, the route is up to you. Other than the granite outcrops, there are no completely impassable terrain features in here; the vegetation will dictate where you can go.

The brush is not terrible in the lower reaches, but once you reach the steep eastern slopes of Weaver Peak, it will be slow going no matter the route you choose. It is impossible to see very far ahead and plan your route, so pick the path of least resistance available, assess your GPS frequently, and be willing to move laterally (or downhill) to find the next relatively brush-free corridor. Numerous climbers have uploaded GPS tracks to Peakbagger.com; I recommend downloading them so you have an idea of the routes that others have followed. Generally, south-facing slopes and spur ridges are clearer than north-facing slopes and drainage bottoms, but your results may vary. You will definitely be fighting thick brush at some point; however, I found there was always some way through.

This range is characterized by numerous granite boulders and outcrops; at your discretion, you can find sequences of rock scrambles to replace the relentless brush. The exact location of the bouldery summit is difficult to identify until you get close, but at no point requires anything more than easy Class 3 to reach.

Mercifully, the climb is not long: roughly 2.5 miles and 1,600' of net gain one-way. Even the fittest and most brush-experienced routefinder will require about 3 hours for the round trip. It's an exhausting trip both ways, and could easily require upwards of 6 hours depending on your ability.

Gear

Wear long sleeves and long pants, no matter the weather. Gloves are recommended due to the constant brush-bashing and occasional rock scrambles. Leave your trekking poles behind; they will only be a hindrance.

Red Tape

The peak and its upper reaches are on Arizona state land, but the access described here requires travel through Sorrell Ranch and advance permission from the owners, Cliff and Jill Sorrell. They are the third generation since Cliff's grandparents homesteaded this land in 1920. Cliff is very friendly and perfectly happy to allow hikers on his property; he told me that he usually sees 10-12 parties per year. He only requests that hikers check in and check out with him at his house when they enter and leave the property.

To protect the Sorrells' privacy I will not post their phone number here; however, I and others on Peakbagger.com can provide it upon private message request. Call before showing up.

Please respect the Sorrells' rules for their property and leave no trace of your visit. As private landowners they can revoke access at any time, so be a good representative of the hiking community and do your part to preserve access for future climbers.

When to Climb

The best season is late fall through early spring in mild weather; summer sees oppressive temperatures in this country, and shade is incomplete at best on this mostly-brush mountain. This area can see measurable snow accumulation after winter storms.

Camping

Dispersed camping is available to the northeast in the Prescott National Forest and in BLM lands to the southwest. Most of the AZ-89 corridor from Congress to Wilhoit consists of private and state lands.

External Links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaver_Mountains

https://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=4038