Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 31, 2012 11:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

I was wondering when you would post this. I have no idea how you can do that on just bars and bagels...I have to cook food. It was nice to see you on Jagged and I am happy to have helped you out. Glad you were able to finish your trek. 38 pounds at the start? That's ungodly! A trek like that would require me to start with 40 pounds of food alone! Sometimes an insanely high metabolism has serious disadvantages.

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 1, 2013 11:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great!

Thanks, Matt. It was nice to have met you out there. Mind over matter tends to work well for me and the challenge alone drives me on. I actually don't like to eat a whole lot when I am out- which is fine when I am car camping, but not so well on an extended backpacking trip.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 6, 2013 5:36 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great!

Matt once told me that he eats a lot, at first I didn't believe him. But then once we went on a big trip together I found out he wasn't kidding! If you split something with him, watch it! ;-) I admit I'm the same way with oreo's, when I offer it, take it when I offer it!

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 9, 2013 8:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great!

haha, so don't get stranded with him on a desert island, huh? Interesting how something can go from bland to delicious or vice versa when you're out there, too, right? Pack some extra oreos for me! ;)

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 10, 2013 6:54 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great!

If I pack extra oreo's, I would have to use a lot of self control when out in the mountains, especially when I have powdered milk to go along with it.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Jan 1, 2013 1:01 am - Voted 10/10

Dang!

Seriously epic trip! I haven't read the whole thing yet but the stats alone are impressive, as are the pictures! Well done!

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 1, 2013 11:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dang!

Thanks! I really appreciate the note. Now, to figure out what the big plan is for 2013...

rockthrowjoe

rockthrowjoe - Jan 3, 2013 10:51 am - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Seriously impressive trip. I am so jealous. I learned the importance of extra socks on a 130mi hike on the Great Divide Trail in Canada. Socks weigh so little, stuff into your backpack so easily, but MAN does a fresh pair of socks make such a difference. I almost always bring an extra pair from now on.

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 4, 2013 3:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks, it was a lot of fun. And yeah, socks may have moved up on the packing list. Although the main problem was rock hopping + pack weight (+ Gortex that isn't waterproof) = nasty rubbing. First time buying real hiking shoes and still they didn't work out so well (between major mileage and getting wet).

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 6, 2013 9:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Impressive!

I'd originally hoped to bag some Weminuche peaks during my eight-day backpack there in September. However, I never figured on being one of those folk who are susceptible to altitude sickness. Every time I broke 11K feet I came down with classic symptoms. Considering we stayed above that for days at a time...I was one sick fellow. It was only at the very end of the backpack that I began to feel acclimated. Too late to bag any of the peaks that had originally been on my list. It was all I had been able to do to make the high passes, some of which were close to 13K feet.

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 9, 2013 7:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive!

Coming from a lower elevation you're definitely at a disadvantage. I once felt the effects just driving into Denver. First time at elevation in Yosemite I was really feeling it, too. If you can force down some food and water (sometimes easier said than done) and keep pushing through you may be able to make it. Hard to have the motivation to climb when you feel like crap though. Maybe try staying a day or two in Durango or Ouray before heading up next time to gradually work up to it?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 10, 2013 12:08 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Impressive!

We actually did some climbing up to 12,500 feet in Rocky Mtn. NP for three days before heading to Weminuche. It wasn't enough. It was only at the end of the trip (13 days in) that I was acclimated fully. By then, far too late to bag any tough summits.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Jan 8, 2013 2:17 am - Voted 10/10

you are a sick man

I like!

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 9, 2013 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: you are a sick man

haha, hopefully it is just the beginning of yet more to come.

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 9, 2013 8:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thanks Legpowered,
Perhaps you'd be interested in doing something this year if I'm still around?

harbor

harbor - Jan 9, 2013 12:49 am - Hasn't voted

Fun and informative read

100 miler is killer. I've done a few 30-40 milers the past few summers and I'd say ~10 miles a day is enough for me. Great job on the post.

blueshade

blueshade - Jan 9, 2013 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun and informative read

Thanks harbor,
I'm found my big trips have been averaging ~10 miles/day. However, that almost always includes significant elevation gain and/or driving nearly every day.

What did you do for your bigger trips?

harbor

harbor - Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun and informative read

Usually do a 3 day backpack in the Uinta Mts involving 10+ miles hiking in a 10 mile trip up to one of the 13,000 ft peaks, and then 10 miles out the next day. =)

RobSC

RobSC - Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

Quite a trip that you did there. It's a beautiful area... Congratulations on a nice trip report and a great trip!

cftbq

cftbq - Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Congrats...

...obviously, for the sheer scope of this trip. Congrats also for defying the "wisdom" of the timidity culture and going solo and free-climbing everything! This clinches for me the possibility of climbing Pigeon, Turret, and Vestal w/o ropes. But let me get this right: You pitched the success of this whole crazy adventure on hitching a ride up Hwy. 550 (at dusk, yet), and it _worked?_ Wow. And never mind being able to jump in your car and drive through the night after a 30-mile hike out...

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Weminuche Monster' main page