Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.27403°N / 120.40621°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6738 ft / 2054 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

It's called Wenatchee Mountain, but the only place you'll here that name is on maps. 99% of people nowadays refer to it simply as 'Microwave', a name given to the peak by the Mission Ridge Ski Resort, which is located on the mountain. Here's some background.

In the 1950s/60s Wenatchee Mountain, Inc., was founded. It was the areas first major ski resort. Later, however, the same was changed from 'Wenatchee Mountain' to 'Mission Ridge'.

The mountain gets summitted ALOT, but most probably have no idea they're standing on a named mountain, not just 'Microwave'. Also, very few come just for the views, of which there is alot. Most come to ski or snowboard, since the summit is a mere 1 mile bootpack from the top of Chair #2 at the resort. It is out of ski area bounds, of course, but that doesn't stop people from shredding the sidecountry.

A large cornice lingers here and on bordering Windy Ridge, oweing testement to the massive winds that pummel the place. Winds up to 120 MPH PLUS have been clocked here, and 30-60 MPH winds are almost constant in winter. Keep in mind, on one of the good powder days the resort is known for, said cornice provides a fine place to huck off into some deep pow.

Hiking to Microwave
Hiking along Windy Ridge to Microwave, February 2011.


You'll know when you reach the summit, since multiple radio towers block views on top of it.

Getting There

Drive to Wenatchee. I'm assuming that if you have any interest in this mountain, you'll probably know how to get there. Once you're in Wenatchee, simply stay on the main roads and follow signs to Mission Ridge. If it's winter, be prepared for a packed parking lot, and if it's winter, COME HERE TO SHRED!! No footies alowed on the chairs. Strap some boards on your feet and get going! You won't regret it, this is arguably the best resort in the state for powder!

Red Tape

During winter, you're gonna have to ski or snowboard, since they can't have some flake just walking up the ski runs. Come late Spring, Summer, and Fall though, do what you want. I'd still recommend skiing it though, especially in Spring.
 
June turns
Skiing corn long after the resort closed, June 2011.
 
En route to Microwave...
Standing on Windy Ridge, February 2010.

Winter Route

Winter is the easiest time to summit this, unlike most mountains. First, grab your skis and head to Mission Ridge Ski Resort. Ride up Chair 1, then Chair 2 (the quad) to the top of the resort. From there, head skiers left, taking cat tracks, following signs for Windy Ridge. You'll pass three double diamond runs - Alah, Lemolo, and Maggie, the latter being my favorite. Once you reach the big red sign saying you are leaving the resort, take off your skis and follow the bootpack along the ridge (Windy Ridge) to the summit.

Map/picture
diagram of routes up Wenatchee Mountain


Now what to do? Soak up the views. And then huck the cornice and slay the sick powder face below you for crying out loud!! Or, continue following the ridge northeast, and drop into Bowl Four.

A Mission Ridge trail map is very helpful.

 
Summit of Microwave
Top of Wenatchee Mountain

External Links

Mission Ridge Website

This link has more good info for non-winter trips, including a topo.

NOTE

While it is totally possible to climb this anytime of year, I would only recommend winter and spring. In winter, it's a mere 1 mile bootpack from the top of the resort. In Spring, you get a little more mileage, and late-season corn snow. I also recommend that if you go, ski it or snowboard it. It's much more enjoyable.

So what if I don't ski/board?
The mountain still has really good views. But if you are just going to hike it, and nothing more, I would recommend nearby Mission Peak instead. It's higher, plus it's on a few peakbagging lists, and doesn't have radio towers on top. And in winter, you'd find solitude there for sure.