West Side Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
metasyn11

metasyn11 - Oct 16, 2007 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

logging...

Due to logging activities, the route up Sumas Mountain from the west has been seriously disrupted. On my trip up (10/16/07) I encountered active logging around Friendly Cabin and was unable to make it to the summit. I will do more reconnaissance soon and report back on alternate routes, but if you plan on summiting I'd go on a weekend. And if you want to see forest, I'd go soon, as it looks like most of the middle section of the route is slated for 'harvesting'.

Scott Dusek

Scott Dusek - Oct 17, 2007 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: logging...

Thanks for the info... unfortunately it's not good news :( Please let me know what you find out after further research and I'll integrate it into the main page. It may be that a new trail is planned etc.

cheers,

-Scotty

metasyn11

metasyn11 - Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: logging...

Second try in two days and I managed to make it to the summit and bypass the current logging by taking the Gold Mine Loop instead of heading up to Friendly Cabin at the junction at mile 1.1. Take the right fork continuing along Swift Creek (instead of the left one going up to Friendly Cabin), and in another half mile stay left (heading north) until rejoining the main trail. Take a right here and start ascending steeply. This variation seems to be roughly equivocal in terms of distance, but at least there'll be no logging trucks to contend with... for the time being. By the looks of the tree markings along the trail most of the forest between mile 0.8 and 1.5 is slated for clearcutting, so future disruptions are likely. Its a shame, this really is a hidden gem of a mountain.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'West Side' main page