West walls in Torres del Paine, South Patagonia, Chile

West walls in Torres del Paine, South Patagonia, Chile

down below we see the bivouac near the old Whillans box (famous shelter designed by Don Whillans during the first climbing back in 1963) from left to right Cerro Peinetas, North Tower (main summit at the right) and the Central tower at the right.

Cerro Peinetas became a classic climbing by "Un durazno para Don Quijote" route, the north tower has a lots of famous routs like "Spiritu Libero" to the north lower summit (left) and "Taller del Sol" a 500mts, 5.11a route straight to the main summit (right) and the classic "Monzino Route" 600mts 6a+ that was also the route in the first ascent back in 1958 by Italians (goes from the Col between the Central Tower and North Tower by the ridge to the top).

Australopitecus
on Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 1014754

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice colors, very dramatic picture

I see a tarp tied down, but no famous box shelter. What am I looking at?

Australopitecus

Australopitecus - Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice colors, very dramatic picture

yes thats a tarp we put on just during good weather windows (few days) our tents where at Campamento Japones down on the valley protected by the wind in the forest, the box disappear, but its the same area and that´s the name of the place, the "Valle del Silencio" (Silent Valley) its one of the most impresive places in Torres del Paine National Park the only people allowed to visit it are climbers or certified guides with clients.
Saludos...

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Feb 12, 2018 10:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice colors, very dramatic picture

Tourists are not allowed? Because the area is deemed ecologically fragile? that is both good news and bad news. Tourists bring lots of money with them. The garbage they casually toss off the trails as the preambulate along can be picked up and the environment is not harmed.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3