Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.38770°N / 103.3047°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 19, 2013

Overview

We took a family vacation for a week to Theodore Roosevelt NP, as we had driven through on our way to Yellowstone a few years before and thought that the area looked spectacular. We were not disappointed! TRNP is a great place to camp and explore for a few days, even though there is no way to clean oneself (no showers) and eventually we went for a swim in the Medora city swimming pool. The scenery and wildlife viewing is outstanding and it was a great base camp for a day trip out to White Butte. I had caught the highpointing bug about a year before, and this seemed like a good opportunity for #1.

The Hike 

We drove out from TRNP in the morning, and arrived at the trail head (mailbox) at about 11:00. We found it without too much trouble, and started hiking towards the obvious high point.

We passed through the gate and worked our way over and past the bentonite outcroppings. There were a few steep or crumbly stretches, but they only lasted a couple of steps and most of the hike was through open meadows.

It was especially windy (there was a high wind warning that we found out about later), but the hike to the summit only took us about 30 minutes. We saw only one other hiker, who warned us about the resident prairie rattlesnake on the summit, and we spooked one buck mule deer.

Our Family on the summit of White Butte

We never saw any rattlesnakes, and the only injuries were a little windburn and a bee sting that Zach got when we got back to the car.

On the summit of ND

Overall, this was a great hike and a fun way to spend a couple hours to deepen the highpointing fever. Number one is in the books!



Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents