White Hills High Point

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.11000°N / 113.7512°W
Additional Information County: Washington
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4620 ft / 1408 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rank: White Hills High Point is Utah’s 4418th highest ranked peak

Prominence: 520 ft

 

In the southwestern corner of Utah, just to the west of the town of St. George, on satellite photos and Google Earth, I had noted an area of barren white colored lands that seemed to be severely eroded. The area was labeled as White Hills and its highest point turned out to be a ranked Utah summit so I decided to explore it.

 

The eastern slopes of White Hills are gentle creating a complex maze of canyons and dry washes that go 1800 vertical feet below the high point to reach Santa Clara River. The western and southern slopes, create walls that drop more than 500 vertical feet. A number of red colored flat top mesas known as South Hills rise to the east of the White Hills. Well established mountain biking trails can be found on top of the mesas. I decided to start my hike from Cove Wash Trailhead (mountain biking trailhead for South Hills).

 

I will describe here a 15.4 mile loop hike that took me from Lower Cove Wash Trailhead to the summit of White Hills High Point and back as shown on the map below. For the north arm of the loop, I followed a bike trail a short distance and then found my own path across and through numerous dry washes/canyons until I reached a particular canyon that I had chosen by looking at satellite photos. I then followed the bottom of that canyon uphill to reach a ridgetop trail that took me to the summit. For the southern (return) arm, I followed a nameless trail/abandoned jeep road and then the bottom of a dry wash.

 

Getting There

From the intersection of Routes 18 and 8 in St. George, Utah, drive 3.5 miles west on Route 8 (West Sunset Blvd.) through the community of Santa Clara and turn left (South) onto Gates Lane. Go over the bridge on Santa Clara River and drive Gates Lane 1600 ft to a 90 degree turn. Shortly after the turn, you will find the Lower Cove Wash trailhead (I was afraid that the road to the Upper Trailhead might be rough so I started my hike at the lower TH. The dirt road actually turned out to be well graded and I could have easily driven to the upper TH saving myself 2.25 miles of roundtrip hike).

 

 

Route

Elevation at Lower Cove Wash Trailhead: 2830 ft

Summit Elevation: 4620 ft

Loop Hiking Distance: 15.4 miles from lower TH (13.15 miles from Upper TH)

Total Ascent per my GPS: 2770 ft

 

From Lower Cove Trailhead, I hiked the dirt road 1.15 miles to the upper trailhead at 3145 ft elevation (as mentioned above, I could have easily driven this section). I then got on Precipice Trail heading west.

On Precipice Trail
On Precipice Trail

The trail took me to a 3290 ft high point. Looking west toward West Mountain Peak and north at Red Mountain.

West Mountain Peak from where I left trail
West Mountain Peak from where I left trail
Red Mountain from where I left trail
Red Mountain from where I left trail

 

After following the trail a short distance on the west side of the high point, I left trail going down into a valley between two mesas. As I went beyond the mesas, a small canyon began to form.

Inside a canyon
Inside a canyon
Red Mountain from dry wash
Red Mountain from dry wash

 

 

I had entered the path that I had chosen by looking at satellite photos, into my GPS. Without GPS, it would have been difficult to find my way through the maze of canyons and dry washes.

 

At a nonspecific junction with another canyon as shown on the map (down to 2990 ft elevation), I turned left and began hiking up another canyon. The new canyon soon turned into an open dry wash. The 6529 ft Jarvis Peak came to view to the southwest. White Hills High Point could be seen in front of it.

White Hills in front, Jarvis Peak in the back
White Hills in front, Jarvis Peak in the back

Another view of Red Mountain from the White Hills.

Red Mountain
Red Mountain

I soon left the dry wash and headed west traversing many other dry washes until I reached the canyon that I had selected. Took me a few minutes to find an easy path down the wall of the canyon to reach its bottom.

Hiking up the bottom of a canyon
Hiking up the bottom of a canyon

Followed the bottom of the canyon uphill to another nonspecific spot at 3370 ft elevation as shown on the map where a well established trail left the canyon on the right (west) side going to the top of a ridgeline (the trail actually started 400 ft before where I left the canyon). I remained on that trail all the way to the summit. View from ridgetop trail.

Trail on ridgetop
Trail on ridgetop

Red Mountain and Signal Peak.

Signal Peak & Red Mountain
Signal Peak & Red Mountain

Surrounding hills.

White Hills from ridgetop trail
White Hills from ridgetop trail
Looking up White Hills
Looking up White Hills
Looking up White Hills
Looking up White Hills

 

As I went higher, the canyon that I exited became very deep. Had I remained in it, I would have likely run into impassable obstacles.

Deep canyon
Deep canyon

Looking back at South Hills (flat top mesas near trailhead).

South Hills
South Hills

The trail did some ups and downs and in some places became very steep (making me wonder how anyone could carry a bicycle up or down those spots) . Juniper Trees appeared at about 4000 ft elevation.

Juniper Trees above 4000 ft elevation
Juniper Trees above 4000 ft elevation

Reached the summit after a final steep section. Jarvis Peak to the southwest.

Jarvis Peak from the summit
Jarvis Peak from the summit

West Mountain Peak to the northwest.

West Mountain Peak from the summit
West Mountain Peak from the summit

Red Mountain and Signal Peak to the northeast.

Signal Peak and Red Mountain from the summit
Signal Peak and Red Mountain from the summit

 

Red Mountain from the summit
Red Mountain from the summit

South Hills.

South Hills from the summit
South Hills from the summit

Looking southeast at the walls dropping down into the arid lands below.

Looking SE at the steep slopes from the summit
Looking SE at the steep slopes from the summit

I then left the summit following a different trail as shown on the map down the mountain. Jarvis Peak and the slopes of the summit.

Jarvis Peak from a spot below the summit of White Hills
Jarvis Peak from a spot below the summit of White Hills

A look back at the summit.

The summit of White Hills
The summit of White Hills

I came across other trails but stuck to the path that I had chosen as shown on the map. The trail became wide like an abandoned Jeep road, then dropped into a dry wash which ultimately took me among the flat top mesas near trailhead.

Inside a dry wash
Inside a dry wash

 

South Hills from the dry wash
South Hills from the dry wash

 

Just before Upper Trailhead, The trail climbed 100 vertical feet to reach Upper Cove Wash Trailhead. I then hiked the road to reach the lower trailhead.

 

When to Climb

Avoid in summer, can get dangerously hot.