Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.87059°N / 119.44078°W
Additional Information County: Tuolumne
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Aid Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8900 ft / 2713 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Overview

The Whizz Domes are actually a pair of domes, next to each other: North and South Whizz domes. They are remarkable steep for a Tuolumne dome and are about 200 feet high, located between Daff Dome and Polly Dome on Tioga Road (120). There are routes from 5.7 - very difficult and are relatively uncrowded, due to the fact that they are difficult to see from the road and are not included in the ever-popular SuperTopo guides, as of yet.

Getting There

Park on Tioga road about 1 mile east of Low Profile Dome, across from the east end of Medlicott Dome. This is a paved pullout on the north side of the road - the only pullout nearby that is paved. Once you've parked, hike in a northwesterly direction. The domes are about 1/2 a mile away; there is no real trail. (We did find cairns, but they didn't seem to lead to the domes.) You cannot really see the domes because of the dense forest and because from the direction you approach, they just look like piles of rock. Once you hike around to the backside, however, you'll see that these aesthetic domes are about 200 feet high with moderate and many difficult routes.

Summary of Routes

The South Whizz Dome has the following routes on its Northwest face, starting from the left side: Prow 5.7 Start Bouldering 5.11 Body and Soul 5.12 Cheat Stone 5.11+ Countdown 5.11 Rivendell Crack 5.8 (Pro: 3") The North Whizz Dome has the following route on its North Face: North Face Route 5.7 The North Whizz Dome has the following route on its West Face: West Side Route 5.6 The North Whizz Dome has the following routes on its Northwest face, starting from the left side: Cuckcoo's Nest 5.9 Ease on It 5.10c Knob Roulette 5.10d Thy will Be Done 5.10c Handbook 5.11a (Pro: lots of medium nuts and cams, some large ones helpful (.75 - 5 inches) Deception 5.10a Take a Whizz 5.9 Gee Whizz A2 (but this route looked to have been sport free climbed with bolts drilled all over it and quickdraws hanging up the crack itself)



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.