Zion slots Comments

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
fivetenroutsong

fivetenroutsong - Apr 22, 2007 9:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Canyoneering-Subway

The subway is a pretty amazing slot canyon with a barrel shape at the base of the slot resembling a subway. The really cool way to do this hike is to start up north near Kolob Reservoir and do the Das Boot intro into the Subway. The water in the spring is in the upper 40's and dry suits are a wise choice. A good rope is needed and harnesses for the rapelling. Kristy and I just did the Subway so all we needed was my 40 ft static rope. We brought a dry bay cause there was alot of swimming. The approach is quite picturesque the actual slots is pretty fun, but at the end there is a long exit hike of about 3 miles. Which isn't bad but if you're not into it then some of the other shorter slot in and out with no long approaches are like pine canyon and the red cave slots, there are some awesome ones in Zions that I still want to do. Just be sure you check conditions and bring the right gear. It can go from fun to miserable really quick. Be prepared.

tanya

tanya - Nov 24, 2007 2:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Canyons in Zion

Very nice trip report and photos. I have to say of all the canyons in or near Zion, that Birch Hollow is my favorite... plus you don't need a permit since it's right outside the park.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Zion slots' main page