Zooming in on Piz Sesvenna (3204m)

Zooming in on Piz Sesvenna (3204m)

... seen roughly from the south, in the upper Avigna Valley. See that cross on the left? That's the summit. On the skyline on the far right of this picture is the saddle with Foratrida, which isn't in this picture. The last part of the Piz Sesvenna normal route follows the east ridge (UIAA grade II), which starts at that saddle (±3080 m). As you can see, the ridge rises steeply to what appears to be the highest point from this viewpoint but is just a false summit, then it's fairly flat to the true one. Earlier today I made my way to the saddle from the north, across the small Sesvenna Glacier. The saddle can also be reached by hiking up a strenuous trail from the south, ascending a steep scree slope, which is hidden right behind the ridge extending south from the false summit. Right now the sun is about to go down. It's hours back to civilization and there is no refuge nearby. However, I'm not in trouble at all. Despite the lack of refuges, I wanted to explore this part of the Sesvenna Group, so I planned on camping tonight. And I couldn't have asked for a better spot: perfectly flat and grassy, next to a mountain stream. And the views are not too bad either! 24 Aug 2014.
rgg
on May 1, 2016 3:02 am
Image Type(s): Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 970900

Comments

No comments posted yet.