20kms diameter of

20kms diameter of "Wilderness"

This image is beeing uploaded to demonstrate, that there is a place within Switzerland that has no streets, no trains, no gondolas and no permanent housings within an aerial distance of 10 kilometers. The area shown here is a part of the Bernese Alps. You can see a screenshot from a digital Top50 map of Switzerland. The Swiss Map Top25 is more detailed, but it doesn't allow such a big overview. The radius of the yellow circle is exactly 10 kilometers wide, so it's diameter is 20 kilometers. In the center of the circle the upper Finsteraargletscher is located. From there no streets, no trains, no gondolas and no permanent housings exist within an aerial distance of 10 kilometers. The area inside the yellow circle covers 314,1 square kilometers without civilisation. What a refugee in the middle of central Europe right inside one of the areas with the world's highest population density. The altitude drop within the circle from the highest to the lowest point is about 2900 meters estimated. Estimated 90 percent within the circle is packed with glaciers. I have to confess, that the 10 kilometer circle has been placed very well indeed and with only 1 kilometer more diameter it would not work anymore. The circle is coming close to Pfingstegg-Gondola and the train to Jungfraujoch at it's northwestern boundaries, to the Rhone-valley in the south and almost touches Berghaus Oberaar at the end of the road to Oberaarsee. I checked the borderline of the circle with a lower scale. Nothing from the above is inside the yellow line.
Nikman
on Nov 29, 2007 3:23 pm
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 361183

Comments

No comments posted yet.