9 mile trail to summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.08070°N / 122.7172°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Unknown
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route page is primarily just to notify the reader that there is another way to the summit other than the 4 X 4 access road. It is unknown to me what the trail conditions are and how difficult the trail is to hike. If anyone summits the mountain via this trail, feel free to let me know and I will transfer privleges over to you unless of course I do this trail in which case I will give a more detailed description.

Getting There

Access to the mountain is gained by taking Exit 6 from Interstate 5 and following the road paralled to Interstate 5 for approximately 1 mile, following the Mount Ashland Signs. About one quarter of a mile before you turn right to go up the mountain, there is a trailhead. The sign indicates that the Pacific Crest Trail is 0.5 miles South from that point and that Mount Ashland is 9 miles from the trailhead.
I recommend taking one vehicle to the ski area or to the gated access road. Driving one down and starting at the trailhead then hiking up to the summit via the trail and then back down to your car at the ski area to make for a shorter day There is room enough at the trailhead for two cars to probably squeeze in. No fees, as far as I am aware.

Route Description

Unknown, this page is merely to let you know that there is another route up the mountain.

Essential Gear

Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall: All you should really need during this time of year is a good pair of hiking shoes, a day pack with the 10 essentials, sunblock, camera. Possibly some bug repellent as well, although we did not have a problem in Early June.

Late Fall/Winter/Early Spring: I would recommend snowshoes during this time and please be wary of avalanche danger. Also during this time, I believe climbing is frowned upon, due to the ski area being open. Although when I called to get information on this particular issue, the ski area did not give me a definitive answer. So my best advice is to call, and see what they say. At least then you will have a clear conscience.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.