A few days in the Goldberg group

A few days in the Goldberg group

Page Type Page Type: Album

Acclimatization

By the end of August, I spent a few days with a couple of friends in the Goldberg group in Austria. We were preparing for higher goals, and my friends, coming straight from the low lying Netherlands, needed to acclimatize first. As the summits of the Goldberg group barely pass the 3000m mark, this seemed a perfect place to do that.
The NaturfreundehausThe Naturfreundehaus in Kolm-Saigurn

On our way to the RojacherhütteOn our way to the Rojacher Hütte

Our first hike was on Friday. From the Naturfreundenhaus (1598m) in Kolm-Saigurn, where we were staying, we hiked up to the Rojacher Hütte (2718m). It was warm and sunny, and visibility was excellent, but there a fierce "föhn" wind blowing, so my plan to climb the Hoher Sonnblick was simply too dangerous: the upper part of the route is along an exposed ridge and I didn't want to be blown off - literally.

The weather forecast for Saturday wasn't too good to begin with, but the rain, which later turned to snowfall, started even earlier than expected. Not a good day for hiking.
At the NiedersachsenhausAt the Niedersachsenhaus

Sunday morning was sunny and cold, and even at 1600m the ground was covered by snow. We decided to hike to the Niedersachsenhaus (2471m), and take it from there. Once we got there, we studied the map and figured, since it was such a fine day, we could easily hike along the ridge to the Bockhartscharte (a "Scharte" is a high mountain pass), following the Senator-Beindorf-Weg. As we wanted to be back at Kolm-Saigurn early, we didn't climb any peaks (except some minor ones on, or right next to the ridge), but it still was a beautiful day.
On the BockhartsharteOn the Bockhartscharte


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.