A gully on the N side of Scafell

A gully on the N side of Scafell

I didn't have any descriptions of the scrambles on Scafell, but later I read about a famous one called the Lord's Rake on the N face. This might be it, seen from above, but probably it's further west. (the coordinates that I've entered are my best estimate, I didn't record them at the time). Altough my map showed dotted lines for both regular hiking trails and some easy scrambles (as in British grade I), Lord's Rake isn't on it, or I would probably have followed it, since it would be shorter than what I ended up doing. In fact, there are trails to Scafell from the east, south and west on my map, but not from the north. I had camped close to the mountain to the northwest. To climb it, I hiked over Mickledore, descended a bit on the other side and then climbed Scafell from the east, which included a pleasant easy scramble via Fox Tarn. I needed my hands, but don't think it was even a Grade I. I hiked down on the easy slopes on the west, to Wast Water. On the scrambling section up to Fox Tarn I met a few people who told me a dangerous rock obstructed Lord's Rake. Perhaps that's the explanation why it isn't shown on the map, to avoid unsuspecting hikers getting into trouble when they simply follow dotted lines without having any route information, assuming that if it's on the map, it's going to be easy. 22 May 2012.
rgg
on Jan 27, 2013 4:34 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 835440

Comments

No comments posted yet.