Algonquin Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 163
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 12, 2023 3:24 pm Date Climbed: Oct 6, 2023

rainy  Sucess!

With Flanders. Rain started near the top and very windy. No views, just touched the summit and headed down. Thought about hitting Wright but weather was bad. Went to Little Italy in Saranac Lake for pizza after. There's better pizza out there though. No liquor license and they don't take credit cards. WTH?

metasyn11

metasyn11 - Sep 27, 2023 5:36 pm Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2023

Algonquin  Sucess!

Climbed via a loop from Avalanche Lake then back down the main trail to the Loj. Beautiful summit, though it was cold windy and rainy at the top.

Jowzynkyn

Jowzynkyn - Oct 23, 2022 8:56 am Date Climbed: Oct 15, 2022

Hella windyy!!!  Sucess!

6 hrs 30 min C2C, very, very muddy, the summit is windy indeed, a little bit of class 3 scrambling but nothing to crazy

Tac - May 7, 2019 12:20 pm Date Climbed: May 5, 2019

Jim’s group of 6   Sucess!

Climbed Algonquin for my first peak at age 51 It was one of the most strenuous things I’ve ever done in my life. I loved the beginning of hike from lodge, made me think this can’t be too bad, then the fun started. It starts with a few rocks to step on and over and then it’s constant navigating each step. Not long after elevation sign we ran into some snow on trail. It actually was easier going on snow with spikes on, unless you fell through, but a real pain going back down since it was melting fast. I almost turned back, twice, not feeling I could go on but my friends urged me up. Meanwhile, we were passed but two “ kids” in sneakers and shorts walking by like a walk in the park, and one had his sneakers untied! It was still extremely gratifying making it to top as well as being a beautiful day at peak. Fantastic views for miles around . But then, we had to go back down. We donned all our gear and grabbed our poles and kept spikes handy., while the two “kids” skipped on by us.To us, it seemed much more dangerous on way down with snow much slushier due to nice day. It took us about 4 hrs to go up and about 4 hours to go down with about 40 min spent at peak. On our slow and treacherous way down we were lapped and passed by , everyone, even a young family of three with young boy sliding down snow and rolling around laughing in t shirt and no poles! Almost all of us fell and got banged up on our way down but we made it in one piece. It was a gratifying accomplishment but still paying for it two days later. I didn’t do anything to get in shape and didn’t bring enough water, for what I needed. I cramped up pretty bad as we started down and started getting nervous but Tylenol a bottle of water and encouragement from good friends got me down. Definitely glad I brought enough gear but three bottles of water and not working legs out before excursion could’ve been a lot worse. At least it wasn’t the highest peak in adirondacks ! Hell of an adventure in one of the most beautiful places on earth with good friends = priceless !!

JeremyP

JeremyP - Apr 24, 2019 10:56 am Date Climbed: Nov 4, 2017

Algonquin  Sucess!

Ascended with Iroquois and Wright. The icy trail required the use of microspikes, yet it was warm and calm enough on top to wear a short-sleeve shirt. Definitely unusual. Expansive views with an awesome perspective of Colden's slides.

urraca man

urraca man - Jun 13, 2017 8:48 pm Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2017

Back at it again  Sucess!

I love this peak. Bagged it in a 4 peak loop. Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, and Colden.

Flake74 - Mar 26, 2017 3:44 pm Date Climbed: Jun 29, 2015

Summited  Sucess!

Summited via normal route. Very fun climb my second high peak after Marcy.

urraca man

urraca man - Nov 16, 2016 9:19 pm Date Climbed: Sep 10, 2016

Algonquin Peak  Sucess!

Started at 5:30 in the morning. The summit was extremely foggy, and there was no view. I was not going to stick around up there. It was a five hour round trip.

Reiksgib

Reiksgib - Sep 30, 2016 6:35 am Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2016

Perfect Fall day  Sucess!

Awesome day. Second time up this peak. It was extremely crowded up there and there was tons of traffic on the way down.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm Date Climbed: Nov 21, 2015

From the Loj  Sucess!

One of the most crowded peaks in the Dacks.

TheWolfIsLoose

TheWolfIsLoose - Nov 2, 2015 4:09 pm

MacIntyre Range Winter Traverse  Sucess!

Completed the MacIntyre traverse in February of 2014. It was BRUTALLY cold, with temps reaching 40 below with the wind chill... EPIC!!

hiker102

hiker102 - Oct 8, 2015 1:55 pm Date Climbed: Sep 19, 2015

Nice fall hike  Sucess!

For a full trip report with photos, you are welcome to visit my website: Peak Fever

jm141302

jm141302 - Aug 12, 2015 11:56 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2014

Birthday Climb  Sucess!

No one seems to wake up early to hike in the Adirondacks. This was another of several popular peaks I had all to myself simply by leaving at day break. Some clouds and light wind. Started from the free parking on S Meadows Rd. Up between Whale Tale, up Wright first than out to Iroquois and back.

realdeal577

realdeal577 - Oct 4, 2014 6:16 am Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2014

First trip to Adirondacks!  Sucess!

It didn't disappoint, Awesome place! Summited on a cool misty/rainy early afternoon. The trail was really wet and muddy but still a great time. Not really any views from the summit-weather was fairly harsh- raining with high winds and cool.

Colinzeye

Colinzeye - Aug 16, 2014 4:50 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2014

5/46  Sucess!

One of the easier hikes I have done, with the most remarkable views....I look forward to doing this again

Cisco1974

Cisco1974 - Aug 12, 2014 2:49 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2014

Alpine Oasis  Sucess!

My second 46er. I saw this stunning peak from 73 and had to climb it. This is one large mountain! The portion of the trail above tree line is literally one of the best views I had seen since driving up Pikes Peak in the 90's. Wow! Who knew that the Adirondacks would win me over all over again! I was one of the last people going up that day and when I reached the summit a person popped up like a teletubby. It was my first encounter with a High Peaks steward, Devon Reynolds. Devon proved to be both knowledgeable as well as fun to talk to. After a bit of conversation I set off towards Iroquois only to be thwarted by a downpour. I retreated back to where Devon hid behind a boulder. When the first crack of thunder hit Devon bolted for her gear and I followed....no Iroquois or Wright today.

nsward

nsward - Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm Date Climbed: Nov 2, 2010

Icy and Stormy  Sucess!

Our winter ascent of Algonquin was one of my most memorable. Snowshoes were absolutely necessary, and crampons would have been useful on the summit. We ascended the summit into a cloud with driving winds and extremely limited visibility. In hindsight, after more experience, we should have turned back. But it ended up being a great memory.

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Jun 23, 2014 10:57 pm Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2014

My last 5000 footer in the Northeast  Sucess!

Took two hours and sixteen minutes from the trailhead at the Loj. Beautiful weather, light wind, reasonable amount of bugs, and great views. First summit of a quadruple summit day (Algonquin, Boundary, Iroquois, and Wright). The summit steward was even cheerful. Between all four summits it took me seven hours and thirteen minutes from door to door, with about fifty minutes of that being meal breaks and enjoying the view.

CObergsteigen

CObergsteigen - Mar 7, 2014 1:14 pm Date Climbed: Oct 10, 1997

My first summit  Sucess!

My first summit with Lindsay, Heather and Jen

Rhughson47

Rhughson47 - Mar 5, 2014 10:35 am Date Climbed: Feb 18, 2013

Winter Ascent  Sucess!

Good climb, great views, no wind.

Viewing: 1-20 of 163
Return to 'Algonquin Peak' main page