Viewing: 1-13 of 13
BobSmith

BobSmith - Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

A really good trip report!

I was also a bit disappointed in the town of Millinocket. Not quite what I'd expected. I think it reminded me too much of my hometown--typical mill town, even if they're on opposite ends of the same coast.

tioga

tioga - Jan 14, 2009 8:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks. Millinocket did seem like an old mill town. Not much there. Not even any kind of outdoor stores, like you would assume, being so close to those mountains. But I guess that, for whatever reason, it hasn't attracted a whole lot of outdoor type people. Maybe it's just too far from anything else.

TiogaBradford

TiogaBradford - Jan 14, 2009 1:04 am - Voted 10/10

This kid has a picture perfect memory, or else records everything secretly

Nice job Tom - everything was exactly as you described!

My favorite quote: "While climbing this section of the mountain we passed a couple, who did not look prepared to be climbing the mountain, wearing jeans and complaining about years of bad smoking habits."

-very bad combination high up on the most harrowing of mountains on the east coast.

TLP

TLP - Jan 17, 2009 4:45 pm - Voted 10/10

very good TR

a damn good trip report from an awesome mountain

tioga

tioga - Jan 20, 2009 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: very good TR

Thanks. It is an incredible mountain. None like it in the east.

silversummit

silversummit - Jan 18, 2009 9:48 am - Voted 10/10

Really like the detail!

I'm glad your father got to travel with you too! Your report is an excellent resource for anyone planning to do a similar hike! Looking forward to reading about your trip on the AT....!!!
Kathy

tioga

tioga - Jan 20, 2009 8:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Really like the detail!

I am very glad that my father was able to do it, too. In fact, he grew out a beard while up in Maine and still has it today! It was an incredible experience and makes me long for the AT. Have you ever been to Katahdin?

silversummit

silversummit - Jan 20, 2009 9:23 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Really like the detail!

I haven't been to Katahdin yet but canoed the St. Croix for 77 miles and hiked in Acadia. Looking to get north for my 2nd retirement!

imzadi

imzadi - Jan 22, 2009 3:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Wow!!

That is QUITE a treck on quite a mountain! GREAT report! We attempted Katahdin last summer (September) and got rained out...they close the peak (hurricaine Ike). I can't WAIT to get that bugger this year!

Just a question, why did you decide to go DOWN cathedrail and then back up Dudley to cross the knife's edge? Couldn't you have also hit Baxter 1st, crossed the knife's edge (while still "fresh", gone DOWN Dudley to Chimney pond and back up the Saddle trail to your dad? Not sure if this is longer, shorter...but, you could have avoided going down the Cathedrail and then could have ascended by the "easier" Saddle trail (instead of Dudley).

tioga

tioga - Jan 23, 2009 7:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!!

Thanks for your comments. That is a great question. I think why we decided on doing this is because we really wanted to climb the Knife Edge to get to the top. That was our original plan, before my father decided to go with us. Then he decided that he did not want to try to attempt the knife edge. Also, the only campground we could get was at Abol Campground, which it would have been a long drive to a closer trailhead of the Knife Edge. And lastly, my brother and I love to push our limits and have a huge sense of adventure. So, we decided that this would be our route and it was exciting. I hope that you are able to climb up the mountain in the future. It is a grand place.

TiogaBradford

TiogaBradford - Jan 24, 2009 12:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Wow!!

I agree with Tom (note: I'm his brother, and climbed it with him) - I think we had always dreamed of crossing the knife edge to get to the top, so we just held our plan even when we had to revise it with our dad joining us. The route you suggested would have worked equally well, though I don't think it would have been much easier.

I will say that I was not overly fatigued at any point (and I'm no marvel of physical fitness these days), until very close to the bottom. THAT'S when all those miles and that elevation gain really caught up. May you get to climb this grand and wonderful mountain!

Budster - Aug 2, 2009 1:40 am - Hasn't voted

Still Sore

I just tonight returned from a trip to Maine where I tried the Cathedral Trail for my first foray up Katahdin. Your words perfectly express the thoughts and feelings I experienced as I struggled up the Cathedral Trail behind my 42 year-old stepson and two 12 year-old girls. They pulled far ahead but I somehow caught up. Your report does great tribute to the true magnificence of this entire mountain. It took us 13 hours to hike from Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond Campground, up the Cathedral, back down the Saddle Trail, and the Chimney Pond trail back to Roaring Brook. I'll be sore for a week but it was worth it. I'll try to relate all this soon in a report that I can only hope will be as descriptive as yours.

tioga

tioga - Aug 4, 2009 11:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Still Sore

Katahdin really is an impressive mountain. Sounds like you had a fun, yet exhausting experience on the mountain. You must be in pretty good shape to do all that? Thanks for the comments.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'An Escapade of a Father and His Sons' main page