An exceptional natural...

An exceptional natural...

An exceptional natural phenomenon. The shadow of the summit, and myself has got a rainbow glory - sorry about the poor quality, the pic was created from video8
Lud
on Jun 13, 2003 7:06 am
Image ID: 21646

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
camp-1

camp-1 - Aug 15, 2003 3:05 am - Voted 10/10

the specter

what an eerie photo , isn't that a scary thing when you noticed it at first ? hope to see one someday

Lud

Lud - Aug 18, 2003 7:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: the specter

I met with this phenomenon first in a paper, it was a far better pic from the late Galen Rowell, and as far as I remember it was an ad of Marmot. The slogen was something like : You have to have the perfect weather, you have to have the perfect light, and you have to be there.

The next time I saw it when a Hungarian climber showed his summit pic about his Nanga Parbat solo.

After this experiences I hoped that one day I will be also a part of it.

On the Venediger we arrived to the summit a bit late, about 1 hour before sunset, and the top of the clouds were just 15-30 meters below us. While we were on the summit, we continuously saw the phenomenon, and it is just not possible to give back the feeling in words, nor with this picture.

The scary thing was, when the sun went down, and we lost the path on the glacier. Fortunately the GPS led us back to the route, and we found the snow bridges, the only passages back to the hut - but this is another story...

camp-1

camp-1 - Aug 24, 2003 2:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: the specter

Is this phenomena only seen in the winter or is it for all season's.

Lud

Lud - Aug 25, 2003 5:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: the specter

I am not an expert but I think you must have the clouds not too far below yourself, and the angle between the horizon and the sunrays should be small.

The thing happened with me in the fall of October, but a friend of mine experienced it springtime in the High Tatras, and the climber I mentioned before in summer.

Galen Rowell seeked for the moment and the weather to create his picture - I was only lucky.

In an other trip I spent long time on the peak of Marmolada, to get the glory but maybe the clouds were to far below the summit, or the sunlight was not "powerful" enough.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4