Approaching the end of Quebrada Rurec

Approaching the end of Quebrada Rurec

Quebrada Rurec is a broad, yet steep sided valley in the southern part of the Cordillera Blanca. As far as hiking opportunities go, you can hike deep into the valley, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no alternative than to hike back the way you came, unless you bring mountaineering gear. From far away, Nevado Rurec (5700m) can already be seen towering above the end of the valley. To the left, only a little bit further away, is the giant Nevado Huantsán (6369m). Since the saddle between the two isn't much lower than 5600m, I would classify Rurec a subsidiary of Huantsán. Even the 'normal' route on Huantsán is a very difficult climb, and that's from the other side. I haven't read anything about climbing Rurec, but from the photos I took from the south, and looking at the map, I'm convinced that there must be an easier way up coming from the north, either directly, or via the saddle with Huantsán. 17 July 2011.
rgg
on Jun 15, 2012 8:35 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 795272

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lsheen

lsheen - Jun 15, 2012 11:09 pm - Voted 10/10

The layers...

...MAKE this shot.

Rob, are you EVER going to run out of stunning Andes pics?

Thanks for sharing,

Big Lew

rgg

rgg - Jun 16, 2012 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The layers...

Thanks Lew. I've still got a whole lot to sort out, so, depending on how much time I have, I may still be posting off and on well into next year.

lsheen

lsheen - Jun 17, 2012 6:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The layers...

GREAT for us SP'ers... LOTTA work for you!

Sincerely appreciate your time posting all the spectacular pics... you have an excellent eye and amazing determination and stamina to GET to where you can take such impressive shots.

Here's hoping you have a TON more - and time to post and caption them all! Really enjoy your Andes pics, many shots of well-known Andean peaks from unusual angles. Your shot of Shaqsha gave me shivers.

Thanks again,

Big Lew

lsheen

lsheen - Jun 17, 2012 6:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Shaqsha pic...

Here ...

One of my all-time favorite pics on SP. Just one of the nastiest and most beautiful peaks I've ever seen a photo of. From this view, NO easy or safe way to the summit. Seracs, cornices, and avalanche fields EVERYWHERE.

Love your shot of the other side...

Big Lew

Viewing: 1-4 of 4