Baba

Baba

Baba mountain in High Herzegovina, south of the town of Gacko, before the storm.
Dinaric-ZG
on Jun 26, 2007 9:36 am
Image ID: 305062

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jun 26, 2007 12:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Oha!

This old lady is really heavilly covered.

Nice that you are back. Alow me a comment - the same one as I sent once to Livio, when his Gran Paradiso group page was growing and growing... No doubt, your Dinaric Alps page is the most comprehensive and thoroughly written page on SP. But can you imagine completing it? You are posting all your pictures on one page - OK, putting there only thumbnails, but still. People's attention has limits. When you open a web page, you take it differently than when you take an encyclopedia in your hands.

So, I'm proposing you something, for which I know it's very hard to you - to limit the extent of your Dinaric Alps page and to start creating other - subpages. Actually, your work is for people - you must make their job of reading stuff easier and enjoyable, instead of overloading them with all information on one place.

The logic of encyclopedic work is different on internet than in books. But the ultimate decision is yours and I'll be allways admiring your work - this way or that!

Cheers!
Vid

Dinaric-ZG

Dinaric-ZG - Jun 27, 2007 3:59 am - Hasn't voted

Hello Vid

Yes, Im back after 3-week holidays and I have enough material (also from previous holidays) to put up more than 20 new mountain or area pages but still missing extra free time to finish the job.

About your remarks concerning the length of the page, this is the problem I ve been already concerned about, previously.

First to explain you about all new photographs I put on this page. I put only those photos I intent to display on the page. Thus, in regional overview I try to cover every mountain group with only one representative photo and really short description. This is especially important since many of those groups/areas in the Dinarics still dont have a single mountain or area page on SP - and this may last for a longer period (from our experience). When those areas will be covered with more sub-pages I would be able to pull-out photos from those "local" pages and DA page would be less crowded with picks in Photo-box.

Second, I had already planned to extract Tables 1, 2 and 3 into separate pages as Lists of mountains in those 3 belts of Dinaric Alps - and even to make those list more comprehensive. The bad thing and the main reason why I ve still have not done this is that in this case I would lose direct links to separate mountain pages - especcially in todays situation when there is a lack of area/group pages of Dinaric Alps, and the only connection would be only via the Interactive map. But the map cannot show the detailed structure of the Chain.

Another and maybe better possibility is to open 3 new pages DA-Maritime Belt, DA-Central Belt or High Dinaric Alps and NE Belt, but as a (would-be) perfectionist I am affraid of drawing strict separating lines in cases of some mountains and areas because of the complexity of situation.

Another important factor is psyshological, this is that I (like other people probably also do with their pages) raise DA page as my own baby :-) and I do not see the page with the same eyes as the other people do.
It has just grown organically and maybe really too much.
But I am still hardly pressed and challenged with shear fact that this is probably the most comprehensive page on Dinaric Alps on the Internet for the moment. I adore mountains of the Dinarics and they are really neglected as a group in many aspects. Comparing Dinarics to the European Alps and how they are covered may not be adequate comparison but like Ive said in my Intro to DA page, there I still no single published book about the Dinarics and this mountain chain and it is still not well enough covered on Internet as a whole.

Cheers!
Gord



Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jun 27, 2007 9:24 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Hello Vid

Good reasoning, Gord. And a few not easy dilemmas too. I'm certain that you know what you are doing. Looking forward to your contributions :)

Cheers!
Vid

Viewing: 1-3 of 3