Backcountry Skiing Altay, Siberia, 1988

Backcountry Skiing Altay, Siberia, 1988

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

In lieu of a TR

Dawn at Akkem Moraine Camp, AltayAkkem Glacier Moraine camp at dawn
Naled ice, Kara-Ayry Basin, Altay MtnsSiberia's famous Naled Ice

The March 1988 ski backpack took 4 of us 16 days. We pretty much covered the length of Katun' Range, West to East, as well as the gorge of Argut cutting between Katun' and Chuyskie Ranges. We haven't seen any other skiers during the tour, but met a few people (meteorologists at Akkem Station and Native Siberian sheep herders on Argut).

The route went from Tyulyuk Airstrip up Mul'ta River, to Krutoy and Gagpi passes into Kuragan Valley, over twin Ioldo Passes to Dzhorashkol and Kucherla Lakes, across Riga-Turist Pass to Akkem Glacier, thence Druzhba Pass to Mensu Glacier, and finally down the endless frozen gorge of Argut to Katun' River Valley and Chuyskiy Trakt Highway.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: nice

Thanks D, as you can guess I planned to write up real TRs and more ... but it's hard to catch up when one has real life too LOL. The albums is a quick-and-cheap way to organize pictures, but in the end they aren't ever sorted in order. It still remains almost random!

But ... if you view them as a "map", it makes a bit more sense!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AltayAlbums