Bakerville (I-70 exit 221)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72030°N / 105.8033°W
Additional Information Route Type: off trail
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: steep, strenuous
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Bakerville:
From Denver at I-70 and C-470 drive west for 39 miles to exit 221. Turn right and find a place to park. The trailhead about a hundred feet down the on-ramp to westbound I-70.

Route Description


This approach is all off trail although there are numerous game trails throughout the area. This is the way I went and I’m sure there are other ways to get to timberline. Once at timberline it’s pretty easy to figure out where to go. If you have problems finding your way just remember to stay near the creek.

From the Bakerville Exit start about a hundred feet down the on-ramp to westbound I-70. Go through the trees and brush to the first steep area this is where the private property ends, from here cross the creek. Now on the right (east) side of the creek, follow the creek staying no more than a hundred feet away from it. After the rock out cropping start looking for game trails that litter the area. Basically follow the game trails on a small ridge about fifty feet above and around 50-100 feet away from the creek. At 11,000 feet a small talus field will appear on a west facing slope. Hike along (not in) this field staying in the trees. Soon after the talus field the slope ahead gains quite a bit of elevation, do not go up this, skirt along this slope in the somewhat flat area (northwest direction). Hiking in the flat area the creek will emerge again. From here timberline is only a few hundred feet away. Follow the creek to timberline, pass the cairns of the Bard Trail (not much of a trail) and head up the gully all the way to the saddle. From the saddle at 13,037 feet follow the ridge to the east to Bards summit.

Essential Gear


Be prepared for anything.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bard PeakRoutes