Bare Bluff - Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan

Bare Bluff - Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan

Page Type Page Type: Album

Grinnell Memorial Nature Sanctuary

This is the trailhead on Smith Fisheries Road.
Trail Head


A new sign marks the beginning of the official loop. "Medical Rescue is Difficult."
Trail sign/map


Paul is looking at a random ice falls that we happened upon.
Ice Falls


Mount Houghton can be see in the distance.
Mount Houghton


One finds a nice view from the top - looking east towards Fish Cove.
Fish Cove


The sun was reflecting off the quasi-frozen lake in a strange manner.
Sun reflecting off Lake Superior

Sun reflecting off Lake Superior 2


More of Fish Cove
pan

Fish Cove 2

Fish Cove 3

And you can see the Smith Fisheries building far away.
Fish Cove 4 - With Smith Fisheries


There are strange patterns in the ice.
funny patterns on the ice


There's me.
Fish Cove 5


The rock that sticks out from the snow is quite striking - Rhyolite I believe.
Rock 2


Then we started down the bluff toward the shore of Lake Superior. We walked by an icicle that had a crazy high tannin-content.
icicle


Believe it or not, this is part of the marked trail. It seems to be a frozen stream, at about a 45 degree angle, going through brush and under trees.
hard trail


we made our way down to the lakeshore. Note the interesting patterns on the water. There was a very thin layer of wet slushy ice covering the water; but in certain areas, the water hadn't soaked through the ice, so the snow on top is bright white.
Lakeshore 2

Lakeshore 3

Lakeshore 5

Lakeshore 6

Lakeshore 7


The ice we were standing on was actually a platform of ice about six inches over the water. So I got on my belly to get some photos of what was underneath.
air pocket under the ice

air pocket under the ice 2


Here's some more shots of the icy bay and the rest of the shoreline we saw on the way out.
ice on the bay

the bay

the bay 2

shoreline



For more info, see the nice official brochure below, followed by a good description on a website about the Keweenaw Peninsula:

http://www.michigannature.org/home/sancts/grinnell/grinnell_brochure.pdf

http://www.kewtrav.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&catid=43&Itemid=2

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
KRomanIV

KRomanIV - Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Mount Houghton

So my capstone project sampled the 80 acres on the west base of Mount Houghton. Use to be a real nice area (until they cleared it)... Nice photos though. Those icicles with the high tannin content were interesting.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.