Bear hotspot

Bear hotspot

I pass by a tollgate and read a signboard. CAUTION: DANGER OF DEATH!

I dare to go on ascending via an unmarked path and soon reach comfortable bear lodge. To my big surprise it is open:)

In the evening I can observe three bears and mama bear with three cubs at a distance of 20 meters.

Special thanks to Szani Uherkovich for coordinates of this interesting site;

Eastern Carpathians

Harghita Mountains

ROMANIA

June 2023

LukZem
on Sep 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 1079937

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
yatsek

yatsek - Sep 11, 2023 7:22 am - Voted 10/10

Bear problem

No doubt we love bears. But these bears are fed by man, aren’t they? And such practices must lead to overpopulation and more problems for both people and bears (https://www.politico.eu/article/romania-bear-attacks-on-humans/). What would you say?

LukZem

LukZem - Sep 25, 2023 9:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bear problem

Yep, you are right,but....IMHO this is much more a philosophic problem.
Overpopulation of a human is the main problem, which is not solved on international level. Although the population of some countries like Romania is decreasing, there is unprecedented economic boom in the last years. Wildlife is stressed out with less space for living etc...
Another problem is with those animals which changed their predestination. And the bear is typical example. Originaly carnivore species has turned into herbivore. And herbivores tend to be naturaly overpopulated. Now we have to think of what are primary causes of this behaviour pattern. IMHO one of them should be extinction of big ungulates and shrinking population of multiple wildlife species associated with the habitat of primeval forests...
BTW are there any stats of how many people experinced dog attacks?
All in all, although I agree, that bears are overpopulated, I would prefer to be attacked by a bear which is much more natural (bearing in mind, that we (humanity) are also overpopulated), than by a shepherdˇs or domestic dog.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2