Big, bad Foraker...

Big, bad Foraker...

Big, bad Foraker (17,400'/5303M), Denali's sister peak, is Alaska's second tallest mountain and one of the most difficult to climb. Photo permission by http://www.climbalaska.org/ Photo AMS Collection. © 1997-2003 Alaska Mountaineering School. All rights reserved.
desainme
on Oct 9, 2003 3:09 pm
Image ID: 30357

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Oct 16, 2003 11:32 pm - Hasn't voted

I just finished a terrific read

and I can't recall the name of the damn book! It had a dramatic and incredible account of a great climb gone bad on big, bad Foraker. Three guys went up. An avalanche hit them. One guy survived and got down the mountain. Amazing story. The book also had Veistuers' and Fisher's amazing ascent of K2 (while saving everyone else) and a dramatic rescue off of Chimney Rock in the Cascades. Anyway-this is the first good picture of Foraker I've seen. Thanks for posting. Now I know that I'm definitely not interested in ice and snow climbing.

desainme

desainme - Oct 17, 2003 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I just finished a terrific read

Thanks Aaron, snow is something I underestimated in my visit to the Tetons. You might notice that my Fourth of July 1983 photos look like the western alps.

I was expecting dry conditions such as might be in Colorado and never did make it to the top of the Middle

The steepening ice at 12,000 feet and lack of crampons was too much for this middle grade climber!

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Oct 19, 2003 10:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I just finished a terrific read

The book I'm referring to above is "In the Zone."

Viewing: 1-3 of 3