Big Sur Station to Sykes

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 25, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Condition report: Big Sur Station to Sykes Hot Springs

Spent a night out at Sykes Hot Springs.  My wife, two friends, and I all hiked in from Big Sur Station.  The weather was incredibly dry and it was a tinderbox in there.  Be very careful with ignition sources - I had to ask a few people to put out cigarettes and I was amply annoyed by the number of open fires at Barlow Camp and Sykes Camp.  The hike went fine in and we did most under the cover of darkness with headlamps.  There was a lot of traffic due to the phenomenal weather and we camped a little down past the springs on the north side of the river.  We were pretty disappointed about the amount of uncovered human waste and spent about an hour on Sunday disposing of it properly.  On the way out we encountered an unprepared hiker who had become disabled due to a knee injury.  We provided water and some more food and then had to pump for about 3.5 miles from Barlow Camp to get cell reception.  We bumped into the SAR team preparing to go in when we got back to Big Sur Station - he called my friend later and said they had got him out.  Remember folks, this is the back country, don't go out there in light clothing with only 1L of water and a sandwich or two.  Be safe. Pack your stuff out.  Bury your poop.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Nikki

Nikki - Oct 25, 2015 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

I agree!

I have hiked out to Sykes Hot Springs a few times and am always appalled at how much trash, toilet paper, and human poop I see. We collect what trash we can and pack it out ourselves. Several people also leave stuff they don't wan't to pack out. I once saw an entire LARGE tent abandoned that someone had written "TAKE" on in large lettering. They also left pants and a blanket. That same trip we found a blanket left behind at another campsite. I wish people would respect that beautiful area. It's only a matter of time before they stop letting people back there due to all the waste left behind. It's really sad. Also, I always see unprepared people on that trail! Street clothes, not enough water, etc. I think some of the people that hike out there just want the natural hot springs experience without thinking about what it entails (a ten mile hike each way and an understanding of LNT).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.